Please help. 1969 S penny error.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jeremy_elkins, May 26, 2015.

1. jeremy_elkins

jeremy_elkins Member

Screenshot_2015-05-26-06-18-38.png Screenshot_2015-05-26-06-20-31.png Screenshot_2015-05-26-06-21-03.png Screenshot_2015-05-26-06-20-17.png I have been going through my pocket change for the last 5 months now. It's exciting. Error coins really catch my attention. It's like treasure hunting. I came across this 1969 S mint penny and I noticed doubling on the date and doubling on the S. Also some doubling on the letters in trust. I have read about the 1969 S mint penny. Shit. Who hasn't. I have seen photos and the photos to this error coin show major doubling. Are the only valuble 1969 S pennies ones that have extreme doubling? Or are there different levels to the error? Or is it due to split second bouncing (which I have read)? Please enlighten me with the knowledge. I appreciate it. Thank you all.

tommyc03 and paddyman98 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hi Jeremy. Seems to be the mechanical doubling, or strike doubling, which occurs when a coin shifts while being struck. It looks like a flat, shelf-like appearance on the date. That's what leads me to this conclusion. But let's hear from the other members to reinforce my opinion... or not ;). Thanks for sharing!

tommyc03 and jeremy_elkins like this.
  4. jeremy_elkins

jeremy_elkins Member

Thank you

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Here is a image of a true 1969 S Doubled Die that others might share with you also to use as reference.
    1969SDD.jpg

jeremy_elkins likes this.
  6. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

It's machine doubling. Keep searching though, there are still some out there. I found an example of this coin and slabbed and sold it, so I can say you can find one. Look at heritage lot 3600. It wasn't in the best shape, but was still a find of a lifetime. There are quite a few 68-72 cents that have machine doubling, and a real doubled die from those years can be doubled and still have machine doubling.

jeremy_elkins and tommyc03 like this.
  7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

8. coop

coop Senior Member

Machine doubling happened a lot on the 1968-1972 cents. Normal die with die movement caused the damage to those devices. It even happens on true hub doubled die coins.
    [​IMG]
    But a clue is when you see this on the date and the mint mark, it is a sure sign of machine doubling.

eddiespin, jeremy_elkins and tommyc03 like this.
  9. jeremy_elkins

jeremy_elkins Member

OMG....what a find. Thank you for the motivation.

10. jeremy_elkins

jeremy_elkins Member

How many true error 69 pennies have been found?

11. coop

coop Senior Member

I just looked at the PCGS population report for graded BN:
    1969-S 1C Doubled Die Obverse, BN about 30 known
    So there are just a few examples known. (by them anyway)

12. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

The pop reports for these coins are WAY OFF. I know for a fact that several of them have been resubmitted several times and I also know of others that are still raw in private collections.

jeremy_elkins and billy b like this.
  13. coop

coop Senior Member

But it still gives us an idea that few of these are out there.

14. Donn

Donn Junior Member

My apologies for being a noob, but...

What is the difference between a "true" doubled die, and a mechanical/machine doubling?
    Are there other flavors of doubling?
    How is each type of doubling achieved?

15. coop

coop Senior Member

Machine doubled (actually damage to the devices) come from a normal die. The movement during the strike damages the devices reducing them in size. On a true hub doubled die, the doubling is on the hub and each strike will show the same doubling (minus die wear) on each strike. Machine doubling can vary from strike to strike. It is easy to find machine MD examples, but a lot harder to find a true doubled die. The devices are reduced on a MD coin. But the devices are enlarged on a hub doubled coin because it is on the die. (thus the term doubled die)
    [​IMG]

Donn likes this.
  16. Donn

Donn Junior Member

Thank you for the detailed info.

Draft saved Draft deleted