Please grade this soverign

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by spock1k, May 7, 2007.

1. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

Please grade on hte schelden scale. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

It's hard to tell from the pictures if there is enough rub to call it an au coin. If there isa good bit of rub, au-58, if not I would call it an ms-62.

4. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

I don't see any wear on it. Gold is a soft metal and I guess I'd grade it MS-63.

Nice Coin
    Ben

5. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

thanks for the help guys appreciate it :)

6. dak

dak The Nickel Nut

I would have no problem seeing this in a MS64 holder, all marks are extremely light (except the one on the obverse in his neck) That is assuming there is no rub as Zaneman already pointed out. I've got a couple variety nickels battered way more than this and they are NGC MS65... A very pleasant coin!

7. JeromeLS

JeromeLS Coin Fanatic

MS-64....not that anyone would care if it was slabbed or not as it is British...

8. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

i care a lot. All my british indian coins are slabbed.

9. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Jerome,it isn't British,as it has the 'I' mintmark of the Bombay Mint.The 1/2 & 1 Sovereign coins that have mintmarks are classified as being a part of the coinage of the country in which they were struck.The die numbered ones are British,as the die numbers aren't mintmarks in the strict sense of the word.

Aidan.

10. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

well the auction ends in another hour. Since i will have to borrow money to pay for this coin. If anyone thinks this is not worth a ms 64 price money let them speak now or forever hold their toungue

11. JeromeLS

JeromeLS Coin Fanatic

Ok, sorry...I didn't see the mintmark (which really shows that I didn't look at it enough!). As it was made with British dies, and the coins were generally used in Britain (if at all!), I count it as British. Still just a waste of money to slab it.

12. bgarg

bgarg Senior Member

Let us know if you won this coin or not? And when you receive it back from grading company.

Regards,
    Ballabh Garg

13. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

I am so unhappy :( i lost the coin by one second. i was feeling down all day today because of it. Of all the coins i want to buy the mohur and the sovereign keep taking the hit and they are one and 2 on my list. The irony of life. It makes me happy though to share my experiences with you guys though :)

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

spock - sovereigns are quite common and easy to come by even in gem condition. Rather than to keep on trying on ebay just buy one from a dealer. Odds are you'll even get it for less money.

15. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

GDJMSP this is no ordinary sovereign it is a rare mint mark one year only kind difficult to get in high grades :) but as luck would have it I have managed to acquire the coin i displayed :). Lets see how it grades out ;)

16. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Doug,a genuine original Bombay Mint Sovereign is actually quite difficult to find,as opposed to the Bombay Mint Sovereign restrikes.

I don't see how Canadian Sovereigns can be regarded as common.I've never seen one,let alone been offered one.

Aidan.

17. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

18. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

I agree. Sovereigns in high grades are difficult to find. I am pretty sure that this will grade a 64 at least otherwise i would not have bought it. Wil let you know when i have the slab in hand.

19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I may be proven wrong, but I think you are going to be disappointed with that coin if you are expecting a 64. Just my opinion.

20. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

I agree. There appears to be too many blemishes and mint bag marks on it to grade Gem Uncirculated. I suspect NGC or PCGS will only give it a Choice Uncirculated grade between MS60 and MS62

21. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here is an example of an 1918 India Sovereign graded MS-64 by NGC.
    I would not consider George V Sovereigns in MS-64 and lower uncommon. (Of Course there's always certain years that may be more uncommon than others)
    I have the following pieces and they were all purchased for less than $220 mostly at Teletrade.
    1918-I India (NGC MS64)
    1918-S Austrailia Sydney Mint (NGC MS-64)
    1932-SA South Africa (PCGS MS-64)
    1925 Great Britain (NGC MS-65)

Adian W... I have had the opportunity to buy Canada 1911C for the same price range but didn't do so at the time.

Spock1K ... I say a grade of MS-63

Draft saved Draft deleted