Please Grade Me: 1959-D Jefferson Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Nov 27, 2019.

?

Please grade this 1959-D Jefferson Nickel

1. AU58

2. MS60-62

3. MS63

4. MS64

5. MS65

6. MS66

7. Other (Please explain in Comments)

8. Not Full Steps

9. 5FS (5 Full Steps)

10. + Grade

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

This thread will be similar to a GTG thread but instead of guessing what the TPG said, you are simply offering your opinion on a raw coin as if you were the TPG grader. I have attached a poll for you to cast your vote and you may select three different things: the numerical grade, full steps or not, + grade if so desired. Please vote for your grade before scrolling down to read the responses as they may influence your decision.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Please remember, you should be casting at least 2 votes, one for numerical grade and the other for the steps.

As always, comments welcome!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Thinking MS63 but also put in MS60-62 because it could go 62. Don't really think it should be a 60 or 61. Think I am not seeing wear so not AU. Not full steps IMO.

4. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

The scattered hits in the field look like those that would come from circulating.

I can’t pick out the wear on it exactly so I went 63.

Some of the marks could be from a beat up planchet so I went 63+.

I think it also makes FS.

5. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

I see a few light dings that may subtract from the coin warranting a FS designation.

6. robec

robec Junior Member

MS66, not FS.

7. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

64, not FS. No higher MS grade because of the hits.

Steve

8. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

I went AU58, 5 full steps, then counted and saw I was prolly wrong about the steps.

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If it's AU it can't be FS.
    While technically it's probably not FS, the grading company prob graded it FS.
    Much too much chatter for 66.
    I am around 64 non FS.

Stevearino and GenX Enthusiast like this.
  10. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

I was going to put a disclaimer that I don't know diddly about grading, but I suppose it's not necessary;)

11. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

12. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I selected MS-64 5FS. The luster appears good and the strike is strong, but there are a lot of conact marks in the fields (especially reverse). Those sort of marks in the field are a big driver between gem and not-gem. That might be a 65 obverse and 63 reverse. The steps look clear of hits that would detract, however.

Why not? As long as the steps (or bands, or bell lines, or head, etc.) are still full (the detail is still there), the coin can still be designated. I've seen coins as low as AU-53 that were still designated FBL.

Now, circulated Jeffersons or Franklins or Roosevelts tend to not be worth nearly as much, so they don't get submitted as often. But something like an AU 1917 SLQ with FH is still worth a premium. Check the census, there's quite a few designated.

13. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

My thoughts exactly!

Stevearino likes this.
  14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Unless they have changed the criteria, that's the rule.
    MS coins only, no proofs and no grades lower than MS 60.

What I don't understand is why they designate modern Jefferson's as
    full steps when they all have them since the dies were reworked to make
    the steps prominent. It's unnecessary there, and detracts from the older coins since it was such a rare occurrence.

I assume there are different rules for FBL, full bands on the fasces and torch on dimes and full steps on the nickels.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  15. ddddd

ddddd Member

MS 64 5FS was my vote....it appears to be lustrous but too many ticks throughout to merit a gem grade

Stevearino likes this.
  16. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

17. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Can you show me where that "rule" comes from? Because NGC has definitely graded AU Jeffersons with FS, if you look at their census. I'm not sure about PCGS, but I would assume they have also.

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted