Please Grade and Compare : Two 1858 over Inverted Date Half Dimes

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Curious how these two compare.
    Neither set of pics is great, please do what you can.

Thanks!

1858 Inverted date half dime PCGS MS62 Ebay OBV.png 1858 half dime inverted date OBV1 N good one! - 1.jpg

1858 Inverted date half dime PCGS MS62 REV.png 1858 half dime inverted date REV1 N good one! - 1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

The second specimen is the better of the two,as far as strike and grade wise.

Eduard and longshot like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I agree. Like the raw one a tad better than the PCGS coin, at first impression.

The first one looks as though it might have some luster, though?

As often happens in your polls, both coins seem pretty nice.

Stevearino and Eduard like this.
  5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

The second coin looks to have a reverse die clash.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

I will add that I deliberately weaseled out on grading these, as I suspect there are some strike issues which deceptively look like rub, and give me some uncertainty.

If you twisted my arm and forced me to say something, I'd guess "AU-ish" on both, but am far from confident in this case, which is why I didn't stick my neck out. ;)

Stevearino likes this.
  7. lordmarcovan

PS- I've looked at the pictures three times now. On first impression, I liked the second coin more. On second and third looks, I increasingly liked the first coin- not necessarily more than the second one, but more than I did the first two times I looked at it.

I like them both, and wouldn't be surprised if the first one looks nicer in hand, as I suspect there is luster there we're not fully seeing in the pictures, particularly since it (the first coin) was shot through plastic.

It's a tossup for me now.

8. Paddy54

They both do... these are famous for clashing as such.

I should also add that as an h 10 collector I be happy with either...as this variety has seemed to elude me event though I've hunted it for years
    ***unlike others....who are newbies who just go oh...look and inverted 1858 half dime!:wideyed:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  9. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Neither coin is well struck, both exhibiting their own areas of weakness. Luster appears to be better on the PCGS coin, but I suspect it's actually the other way around. Surfaces on the raw coin definitely look nicer to me.

No question that, judging from the images alone, I prefer the raw coin.

Eduard, lordmarcovan and Paddy54 like this.
  10. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

I'll try my luck grading them. I will say that weak strike -vs- wear on circulated coins is hard for me sometimes. From a single pic especially. Also these are not my strong suit.

1- XF45 (slab)
    2- AU50 (raw)
    The raw coin simply has better detail IMO.

Eduard likes this.
  11. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Actually, the second coin has lots of luster and is prettier in-hand. Unfortunately, there are a couple of things I am pretty useless at: one of them is capturing luster on coins; (the other involves my wife and things like why we/she definitely needs new furniture, another pair of shoes, or to visit the inlaws).

12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Personally I think they’re both au 50. The first almost looks like it has an old wipe and has more marks. I prefer the second

Stevearino, Eduard and chascat like this.
  13. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I didn't realize @Eduard was looking for a grade on each. I'm at AU50 on the PCGS coin and AU55 on the raw coin.

14. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

The details of Liberty appear weaker, particularly her right leg, which appears somewhat flat on the PCGS coin. Also, the right side stars are flat. I realize that worn dies and strike have a bearing on these conditions. Additionally, the PCGS coin has a good bit of chatter on the reverse. Both coins are really desirable, but given the choice of which one to take home, it would be the raw coin.
    As for grading...PCGS XF 45 or AU50 difficult choice, raw AU 55.

15. Paddy54

I also agree with Mike Au 50 Au. 55 both specimens would be a star spot filled in any collection.
    And still on the hunt...

Eduard likes this.
  16. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you all for your opinions. They are very much appreciated.
    (This really helps me putting a grade on my coin).

These little coins seem to be pretty hard to grade. Some of you mention die wear and striking issues could be making proper assessment of actual wear difficult.
    It could be the case here as well. Grading from pictures is also not easy

Estimates on the PCGS coin per your opinions ranged from 45 to 50. This is at least 10 points lower than what PCGS thought.

1858 half dime inverted date PCGS MS62 Ebay october 2019. asking $1300+ .png

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Johndoe2000$, buckeye73 and Paddy54 like this.
  17. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Eduard and Stevearino like this.
  18. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Interesting. At first sight I liked the PCGS coin best. After reading all the posts (especially Eduard's post about luster on the second coin not captured in the photo) I thought I'd prefer the raw one.

After seeing the MS62 grade I thought, like @Johndoe2000$ that I have a long way to go in my grading. So, @Eduard, are you going to send the raw off to a TPG? If so, I'd love to see the coin afterwards.

Steve

Eduard and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  19. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Interesting. I think in hand I may have called it different but still au. I know the strike issues so I was. Grading from the luster breaks and loss. In my opinion that coin is clearly not uncirculated

20. dividebytube

dividebytube Active Member

Based on the single 1875 CC dime I have on hand, I would have gone with AU too.

21. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

@dividebytube, noticed you are a fairly new member. Welcome to CoinTalk!

Steve

lordmarcovan and dividebytube like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted