Please Grade 1939-D Jefferson Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, May 22, 2017.

?

How would you grade this coin?

1. XF or Below

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. AU

68.0%
  3. BU

32.0%
  4. GEM BU

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Similar to a guess the grade, but the coin is raw so just tell me what you think the grade of the coin is and vote in the attached poll. For the purposes of the poll BU=MS60-MS64 and GEM BU=MS65+. Please respond with your specific grade in the comments and whether you think the coin is worthy of grading submission or just an album filler. Thanks.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Paddy54 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

You need 5 steps showing even before considering sending

4. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

- Voted "AU" in the poll
    - Incomplete luster, light wear but not much; AU-55
    - Album filler

ColonialCoin4, Paddy54 and Lehigh96 like this.
  5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

This is sort of a tough one from the images .
    I'm going with Au..... but the lack luster is so mute that to me sort of a slider. The rubs aren't that bad, but, there looks to be some sort of environment issue on the obv. Surface. Not sure if a bath would help or hurt? There's what looks to be a few lamination issues going on, the improperly alloy mix may account for the mess on Tom's coat.There's plenty of meat on the bone for an xf.-Au album set.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Lehigh96 likes this.
  6. Lehigh96

Look at the date/mm again.

Paddy54 likes this.
  7. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

It's a reverse of '38.

8. coloradobryan

The S in pluribus is the key pickup point. If it has a serif, it's the reverse of 40, if it doesn't, it's the reverse of 38. No need to check the steps...

9. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I went AU because of the color, but I really don't see any indication of wear. That's a tough one even with your nice images.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm going to go with BU and more specifically, ms-64. The coin is well struck, and to this eye, shows no wear at all. The grey toning is interesting and might be a product of previous storage. I have more than a few commems that exhibit a gun metal grey, yet reside in '65 holders. Sometimes the effect is characteristic.

[edit to add] The coin is worthy of 'slabbing' (MHO) if one tends to such. Me? I'd keep it raw. :)

11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

which is better?

Michael K likes this.
  12. coloradobryan

Reverse of 38 is somewhat harder to find on Philly nickels, and the reverse of 40 on the Denver and San Francisco nickels. The 38-d with the reverse of 40 likely had a mintage of a million or less.

13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I had the same question as Treashunt so thanks for that quick reply.
    So the 1940 reverse, would actually be the 1939 reverse. Are all the 1940's, the
    1939 reverse?

14. Lehigh96

It doesn't work that way. The 1939 Nickels shared two reverses. They named the reverses for the year before and the year after. Obviously the reverse of 40 was created in 39 but it is never referred to as the 1939 reverse.

Paddy54 likes this.
  15. Paddy54

Paul is this specimen graded?

16. Lehigh96

Nope, and I don't own it, and it isn't even my photo.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  17. Paddy54

You know as a nickel collector with two sets of ms and one proof of Jefferson's . I still wish that the original design was used.....as my belief is had it I believe this series would of even been more popular then it is.
    It also would also fallen into the classic Art Deco designs of the 1900's throughout the 1930's

18. Paddy54

What's your take on it?

19. Lehigh96

It could be low BU with muted luster but I'm leaning towards an AU slider.

The real question is, what did the seller of this coin advertise the grade to be?

20. Paddy54

God only knows..... I agree with you, T money and a few others here a nice coin for an album filler,I personally don't believe it's any better than that.... lol well will admit much better than my first 39 D found in my news paper collection bag back in the 60's.
    However at least you could find a 39 D just not dang 50 D

21. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Gem ultra rarity I'm sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted