Please grade - 1913 - $10

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ManfredNam, Apr 29, 2018.

1. ManfredNam

ManfredNam Non-functioning

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Looks fake to me.

4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Entirely possible. I see what might be depressoins in the fields. Even if it is fake, it is still gold.

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I'm going to say fake

6. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I'd say, take some new images when the sun up .

7. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

A good fake, but a fake nonetheless in my opinion. Some of the lettering looks to be positioned wrong.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  8. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Can you provide better-focused images?

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat. It doesn't look like it has the relief that it should. Could be the photos but I think fake.

10. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

If it is a fake ,there is a good chance that it is not solid gold and, it may have an inner material different then what it is supposed to have. ?I just looked at a real one on NCG and the letters on this one are really close if not the same as the real one . For example the u is touching the eagle on the real one and looks exactly like this one. The top of the letter E is short on the real one and this one ? This may be a real one but the color is off and could be just in need of a professional cleaning.?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    ManfredNam likes this.
  11. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

12. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT ManfredNam! I like your avatar coin!

I'm afraid I'm in agreement with the previous posters - it doesn't look good (from the pics provided). Uncirc. yet doesn't have the definition that it should & the date looks funny.

Critical question: What does it weigh? (should be precisely 16,7180 g.)

ManfredNam likes this.
  13. ManfredNam

Thank you all for your input and effort ... tried to take photos in sunlight.

SAM_0294.JPG SAM_0295.JPG SAM_0296.JPG SAM_0297.JPG

14. Dillan

If this is a fake ,who ever did it did a darn good job. There are a lot of the exact same markings as the real one. The maker of this was a pro not just someone trying to pass of a gold piece. I would send this in to have it looked at by the people who certify these gold coins and get an opinion from them. It may turn out to be in your favor , you just do not know 100% until you have someone who deals with these on a regular basis. I would send it in to get certified and see what the results are!! Good
    Luck I hope it turns out positive for you . Welcome to Coin Talk !!

15. ManfredNam

The weight is 16.720 according to my pocket scale ...

I found these pictures on the web ...

$10-1.JPG

Attached Files:

• lf.jpg
      lf.jpg
      File size:
      591.8 KB
      Views:
    • $10-2.JPG
      $10-2.JPG
      File size:
      84.9 KB
      Views:
  16. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I have two of these. Granted they aren’t in as good shape as the OP’s. I am looking at them now and I am feeling that the OP’s is the real deal. Just my off the cuff less than expert feel. I know some of these counterfeiters do a pretty believable job on some of these pieces. But this one passes my sniff test.

Dillan and ManfredNam like this.
  17. Dillan

I have a tendency to lean towards what Randy wrote. After looking at some different ones online, I also believe that either the fraudster was really good or this coin is as real as they get. !! Also worth a nice chunk of coin in this condition. !

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  18. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

I like the second set of pics better, & it seems to pass the weight criteria, so it may be OK. May be time to have it graded & find out for sure.

ManfredNam and Wheatmaster101 like this.
  19. Dillan

I think it will grade a MS -63 --64 range . Nice coin . good Find!!

ManfredNam likes this.
  20. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

What does the edge look like? If it is reeded, it is fake. It looks to be a nice AU missing some luster if good.

21. Dillan

Manfred , if you do have it certified, would you please let us know how you make out. I am curious as to what grade they would put on it. The coin looks a bit soiled, and if the coin was professionally cleaned ? ( if there is such a thing . I am sure there is ,but not sure the cost of the service? ) . Cleaned I would guess it would grade at or near what Randy posted of a similar coin. Yours has good definition , and very little damage and marks. The MS 64 coin has a fair amount of small marks on it . I think your coin is in better overall condition except for the coloring. I am only guessing and by no means have the experience of the other members .

Draft saved Draft deleted