Please Explain PCGS Grading Fees!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by iPen, Nov 5, 2015.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Let me ask you a different question iPen, why do you feel the need to have these coins slabbed at all ? I mean you didn't need for them to be slabbed when ya bought 'em, and I assume you've owned them for a while and didn't need to during that time - so why now ?

ldhair likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Not to mention, the reason why TPG's are iffy with World issues - and NGC is better than the rest but only "marginal" in true quality - is that World collectors don't yet place much store in slabs and comparatively few have been slabbed. NGC has been advertising to hire World graders for the last couple years...

You're not really gaining a marketplace (or any other) advantage by slabbing them, in my opinion.

4. ToppCatt

ToppCatt ToppCatt

.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  5. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

The high cost is one of the many reasons I buy NGC and PCGS slabbed coins. It does get very expensive.

6. ToppCatt

ToppCatt ToppCatt

My experience from 4 years ago with an upscale dealer. I took in
    10 inherited Morgan dollars that had been laying around for 10 years years for certification. My previous experience with coins was 50 years before with cents, buffalo nickels and silver dimes found in circulation, no dealers, as a young man with a family. They gave sparse advise only telling me the 1889CC was my best one. They would send in my 10 Morgans for me and would have them back in 4-6 seeks. When they returned, five were body bagged, 4 as cleaned, one as damaged but all genuine. Charges were $45 each coin, $77 Insurance and handling, $8 shipping and $42.64 tax. Total $575.64.

The real surprise was the 1892-S returned as AU58.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    nearfall likes this.
  7. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I'm planning on buying a few more coins and I want to get them authenticated to make sure they're real. I'm also hoping that the increased value of the raw coins via PCGS grading will help offset some of the cost of membership, while reassuring me of the coin's value.

8. ToppCatt

ToppCatt ToppCatt

You raise three points. 1. The TPG will authenticate the coin and if real will grade it or maybe body bag it. 2. A raw coin is just as valuable whether it is slabbed and graded or not. It is the same coin. Having it graded helps on the sale end of collecting. 3. The cost of membership can be offset by passing on the daily lattes or whatevers.

Draft saved Draft deleted