Please describe the mintmark of this 1950 D cent

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Trouble, May 21, 2016.

1. Trouble

Trouble Member

Here is a 1950D Lincoln. I have been through thousands of wheat cents and separated some that have what is less than a clean looking mintmark such as this. Would this be considered a RPM or is it something else? Is it considered to be anything significant any collectible, or something to be ignored? Thank you very much for your help with this. 1950D Lincoln closeup.jpg 1950D Lincoln.jpg

NSP, Timewarp, micbraun and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Appears to be RPM-001.

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I would call that a D/D or RPM ( repunched mint mark)

micbraun likes this.
  5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

6. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Honestly what's the demand for these minute varieties that you need a microscope or loupe to find? On common coins?
    I'm sorry, but I look at that and think "waste of time."

*wolf7* likes this.
  7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Probably in the range of $3- $10 depending on the overall coin. The next question Trouble would probably have is ~ Is it worth slabbing? NO. Jim

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

And I look at pristine coins and think, "Booooooring."

Fortunately, there's room for both of us in this wonderful hobby. :)

Insider and Lon Chaney like this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Whether it is worth anything or not, what I find interesting about it is the fact that the underlying vertical appears to be much shorter. It looks like a different size punch was used.

Chris

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. cpm9ball

@paddyman98

Thank you for my 8,000th "Like", paddy!

Chris

paddyman98 and tomfiggy like this.
  11. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Exactly. 2016 Mercury first strike MS70 LOL
    I think it's remarkable that the OP went through the trouble ;-) of going through so many Lincolns, searching for anomalies and errors.

12. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Thousands of which, shall we say, were boring, and didn't even justify a photo.

13. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your find!
    I enjoy searching for Lincoln die varieties. CRH is a good hobby to relax my mind and take my attention away from all the troubles in the world. I don't think anyone makes money doing it. I don't go on ebay, or buy coins. To me it's all about the hunt, and finding them in the wild. Surprisingly I've only found one RPM so far. I have found about 20 doubled die Lincolns so far (along with the usual die chips, cuds, MAD's, Lathe Line cents, and toned coins). That's after 3 years and searching an average of a box (2500) cents every 2 weeks. I can go through a box in about 10 hours now so I'm not spending too much time on it. Sometimes I go through 4 boxes and find nothing then I'll find something really good and I'm hooked again. Lately I am almost happier to find the minor varieties that I would have missed in the past. It's all about developing my eyes, and brain to recognize different classes of doubling.

Cochisz and Insider like this.
  14. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

This post is FAR BELOW your usual opinions I have read. :( I feel sorry for you. Actually no I don't. However, that particular coin has a lot more to teach about numismatics and the meaning of collecting than you'll ever know. Perhaps you should keep your boorish and ignorant comments to yourself :muted: as RPM collectors far out number fools - at least I thought they did.:smuggrin:

tomfiggy likes this.
  15. Insider

Congratulations! You have a 34.8% likeability factor.:p

16. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Yeah I was a little drunk last night, so a bit snarkier than usual. My bad. To each his own and as one of the posts above said, there's enough room in this hobby to keep everyone occupied.

paddyman98 and Insider like this.
  17. Insider

That must have been some wicked "drunk!" You are back on my "A" list of posters again - not that it matters.;)

18. cpm9ball

The rating tends to increase when I buy a round at the bar.

Chris

tomfiggy likes this.
  19. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

Lately I have noticed more acrimony, and personal attacks around here. Less about the coins and more about the collectors. Also a lot more newbies without a clue. That's fine because that's how I started on here. I used to get upset when someone told me my "great find" was worthless. I try to be more helpful, and post links to educational materials like most people around here do. Even then I catch myself talking down to the newbies which is not kind, or helpful. I got sucked into name calling here once so I'm trying to pick and choose who I respond to. Overall this is a great place to learn, and I still check it every day :)

Cochisz and paddyman98 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted