Please be a die mark....please...please...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Andrew5, May 5, 2016.

1. Andrew5

Andrew5 Member

I'm hopeful this is some sort of mark from the die and NOT a finger print. Any thoughts on this would be great as it's a Full Steps (I know, you can't tell from the pix) Silver Jefferson that I'd like to get graded. I've included a shot of the obverse too because it's just so darn beautiful :)
    Jeff 2.jpg Jeff 1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

What do you mean by die mark? Do you mean error? No, it's not an error. It looks like a finger print from where I'm sitting.

Andrew5 likes this.
  4. Andrew5

Andrew5 Member

yeah that was my fear. But I've seen posts where sometimes there's a mark when it rolls off the press (?)

5. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Yes, there are many types of marks (mint errors) on coin produced by the mint, which are "true" mint errors. Yours is PMD Post Mint Damage, after it hit circulation. It's some kind of smudge on your coin. You have probably already checked websites. There are many out there to assist you. Here's just one if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.jimscoins.com/error_coin_examples.php

Andrew5 likes this.
  6. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Think about it. What part of the minting process could produce such a defect? If you can't think of one, then it is PMD.

Andrew5 likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks like a fingerprint to me. From your photo I don't see full steps either. Forget grading it. It would be a waste of good money. Not a mint error either.

Andrew5 likes this.
  8. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

I often thought of that. How about a nice big fat finger print on a coins "inside" a sealed proof set? I would almost call that a legitimate mint error. Never been circulated, produced by the mint, coming directly from the mint.

Andrew5 likes this.
  9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

fingerprint

Andrew5 likes this.
  10. Browns Fan

Browns Fan Active Member

Unless it would grade MS67 or higher, it wouldn't be worthwhile, considering the cost.

Andrew5 likes this.
  11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That's why I keep insisting PMD is not the proper term to use. It should be PSD Post Strike Damage. Anything that happens to the coin after the striking is Post Strike. Post Mint get people trying to decide if the damage happened before or after it left the Mint and trying to say that damage that happened before it left the Mint should be considered to be "Mint errors". But even if it DID happen before it left the mint, it is still PSD and therefor just DAMAGE!

paddyman98, Andrew5, rzage and 3 others like this.
  12. Treashunt

okay, okay, PSD with hints of PMD

paddyman98, Andrew5, rzage and 2 others like this.
  13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

How about PMD = POST MINTING DAMAGE

paddyman98, Andrew5 and Paul M. like this.
  14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Question - would a fingerprint count against a coin at a TPG? Toning doesn't (I think) even if it is ugly.

Andrew5 likes this.
  15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Actually PMD does mean Post Minting Damage, but everyone shortens it to Post Mint Damage and that causes confusion. Hence PSD. If the S meant Striking or Strike it still means the same thing.

Andrew5 and Paul M. like this.
  16. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I'm going to have PTSD if this keeps going.

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Agreed!!

Andrew5 likes this.
  18. Treashunt

:)

Andrew5 likes this.
  19. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking PMS for me!

Andrew5 likes this.
  20. Treashunt

okay, okay, PSD with hints of PMD, with a touch of PMS

paddyman98, Andrew5 and TJ1952 like this.
  21. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Toning can count for or against a coin, but is never a primary factor. It goes into the "eye appeal" category. Fingerprints would be the same way.

Kentucky, rzage and Andrew5 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted