Plautilla of Marcianopolis -- single pair of dies?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I first posted about this coin a couple of years ago and have since learned a bit more about it. I have since found some references for the coin -- so it's not "unpublished" -- and have found five additional examples of it, all of which were produced from a single die-pair. This makes me wonder if the coin itself was produced from but a single pair of dies.

Does anyone have Varbanov, Hristova & Jekov, or H-J Pfeiffer (Die römischen Münzen aus Markianopolis: Sammlung H.-J. Pfeiffer)? If so, would you be so kind as to post photos of the plate coins so I can see if they are also die matches?

If anyone knows of other examples online, I'd love to see them.

Please feel free to comment, post your Plautilla provincials or anything you feel is relevant!

Plautilla Marcianopolis.jpg
    Plautilla, AD 202-205
    Roman provincial Æ 9.92 g, 26.2 mm, 8 h.
    Moesia Inferior, Marcianopolis, Lucius Aurelius Gallus, legatus consularis, AD 202-203.
    Obv: ΦΟVΛ ΠΛΑVΤΙΛΛΑ CЄΒ, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: V ΑV ΓΑΛΛΟV ΜΑΡΚΙΑΝΟΠΟΛΙΤΩΝ, Tyche standing r., holding rudder and cornucopiae.
    Refs: Varbanov 1088; Hristova & Jekov (2007 a) 6.218.38.1.; H.J. Pfeiffer 137 ff; Pick --; SNG Copenhagen --; BMC Thrace --; Mionnet Supp II --; Moushmov --; Wiczay --; Lindgren II --; Lindgren III --.

Die matches to:

Plautilla Marcianopolis Lanz.jpg
    Lanz, Auction 114, lot 512, May 26, 2003.

Plautilla Marcianopolis Helios.jpg
    Helios, Auction 6, lot 579, March 9, 2011.

Plautilla Marcianopolis Hirsch.jpg
    Gerhard Hirsch, Auction 289, lot 900, May 2, 2013.

Plautilla Marcianopolis Naumann.jpg
    Naumann, Auction 60, lot 267, December 3, 2017.

Plautilla Marcianopolis Wildwinds.jpg
    Specimen at Wildwinds.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

looks like it to me RC..maybe @TIF will do her magic of superimposing on them to clarify..:)

Roman Collector likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I don't think RC was questioning the die matches for all of the coins he posted (they are all from the same obverse and reverse dies)-- he was asking if any of us had yet another example so he could see if there are others out there, also of the same dies. At this rate it would be notable if a new coin was struck from a different die! :)

Andres2, ominus1 and Roman Collector like this.
  5. Roman Collector

Exactly! All six coins are from the same dies. I'm wondering if there are any out there that are NOT from these dies.

Does anyone have Varbanov, H&J or Pfeiffer? Would you be so kind as to post the plate coins? Thanks!

ominus1 likes this.
  6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

o..ok :)

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Here's the Varbanov plate coin, also struck from the same die pair. It's not unusual for limited-run provincials to come from one set of dies.

plautilla varbanov 1088.jpg

Cucumbor, TIF and ominus1 like this.
  8. Roman Collector

I'm not surprised. Thank you so much!

John Anthony likes this.
  9. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Aaaaah Plautilla !
    Dear Plautilla !

:kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

(Hope Caracalla isn't around though.....)

Q

Draft saved Draft deleted