Plautilla - Concordia - Preview.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gil-galad, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

That's hilarious. Yes! That's why you have so many posts. lol

I think I'll do that soon, when I can think of something.

stevex6 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

That's funny. lol

How many Roman rulers are you up to now? I have 73, soon to be 74.

stevex6 likes this.
  4. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

I myself lost track lol. I don't think I got too many new rulers lately (except probably in Byzantine -technically Roman btw- and Germanic). I guess thats what happens when you specialize lol

stevex6 likes this.
  5. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

GG, I like the coin. Its a nice clear portrait and the reverse is sharp. I think the price is ok and if you are happy with it, then nowt else matters...you are the one who will be looking at it for years to come. Its the best part of 2000 years old and has worn better than some members have in a fraction of that!
    I now have many more wrinkles and blemishes, breaks and bumps than the crack I was born with.

6. ValiantKnight

Ok I've counted (sorry to go a bit off topic). My main collection:
    79 Roman rulers
    11 Byzantine rulers
    5 Post-Roman Germanic rulers

(as of this post)

stevex6 likes this.
  7. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

You have quite a few Roman rulers now. I'm not too far behind you.

Haha, thanks YOC.

The good news is I got some work and some money. And so I paid for the coin and it's being mailed out tomorrow! I can't wait!

8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I like the coin just fine. The crack probably occurred at striking, and I'm guessing the chip is post-mint damage, but that's only a guess. At any rate, neither detract from the excellent portrait and sharp lettering, in my estimation.

9. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

plautilla-ric-363.jpg

The coin arrived last week, but I've been lazy in posting it. This is the scanner photo which turned out alright, but not spectacular. The coin looks better in-hand than even the other higher quality photo by the dealer.

I am very happy with it.

vlaha, zumbly, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
  10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> Hi dude ... sorry that I didn't see/answer this question earlier ...
    Ummm, I have "64" different Roman Rulers (or Roman Ruler chicks, etc) up until and including Valentinian I ... then I also have a few Byzantine guys (ummm, do they count in the Roman Ruler count?) ...

11. ValiantKnight

I'd say separate as the Byzantine Empire is quite different than the earlier Roman Empire was (plus Roman rulers are RIC, while Byzantine are SB), but just to be clear they technically are still "Roman" emperors, since they never called themselves, or their empire (which was the same empire Augustus founded) "Byzantine", which is just a more recent way to refer to the Roman Empire in the Middle Ages.

stevex6 likes this.
  12. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Byzantine, no, I would say. The Tantalus grid I have counts Anastasius and Julius Caesar. I have Anastasius, but not Julius. I never got around to asking Rasiel why he counts both on the grid.

I have 74 counting Anastasius. There is a bug on the grid at the moment that says I have 75.

http://www.tantaluscoins.com/coins/grid263.php

stevex6 and ValiantKnight like this.
  13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ummm, how 'bout Justinian I & Mo-Tiberius?

14. ValiantKnight

If you want to get really technical, you can put pre-coinage reform Anastasius coinage consisting of the tiny monogrammed nummi into the Roman camp (despite that they too are SB), and post-reform stuff like the big folles with the Byzantine coinage.

15. ValiantKnight

Definitely Byzantine IMO.

stevex6 likes this.
  16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Thanks guys

=> "64" it is!!

17. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

64 is pretty good. I'm pretty sure you could get that count way up there if you wanted to. You got me beat by a landslide for other regions for sure!!

I'm looking to boost my count up to 77 by the end of this month, or early April. I'm getting Aelia Flaccilla, Saloninus and Volusian.

stevex6 likes this.
  18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> "77" huh? ... now it's personal (run rabbit, runnnn!!)

;)

just jokes

Ummm, I do already have Saloninus and Volusian ... but I don't have Aelia Flaccilla (man, I can't wait to see all of 'em!!)

Cheers, brothers!!

19. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I think you'll like them. They are about very fine condition and problem free from what I can tell. Getting them from a dealer on Facebook. I've already gotten a few coins from the guy.

Thanks, Steve!

stevex6 likes this.
  20. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

I seem to have a rather more attainable gaol than you Gil-galad, I'm only going for the 101 (or thereabouts) issuers that, well, issued coins in Alexandria.

Of course I use attainable loosely in this case, very loosely.

Four down...:rolleyes:

Gil-galad and stevex6 like this.
  21. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

I'm always have a soft spot for true love. I'm sure these two (Caracalla and Plautilla) lived happily ever after. What else could one expect from a true psychopath?:

Caracalla o.jpg Caracalla r.jpg Plautilla o.jpg Plautilla r.jpg

guy

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
    vlaha, stevex6 and Gil-galad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted