Plautilla - Concordia - Preview.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gil-galad, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Plautilla.jpg

Plautilla AR Denarius.

OBV: PLAVTILLA AVGVSTA, Draped bust right, hair in nearly vertical waves & drawn into bun at back.

REV: CONCORDIA AVGG Concordia, diademed, stg. half-left with patera & sceptre.

REF: RIC 363, RSC 1, BMC 411, Sear RCV 2000 - 7065

I just asked the dealer and he agreed to reserve this coin for me. The price is at $37.50, which is better than a coin I saw at $45 and many that are higher, so I had to have this coin! This one is my favorite obverse type for Plautilla.

I'm getting this coin next month. This photo looks pretty good and I suspect that it may not look as good in hand.

chrsmat71, zumbly, Bing and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice ... that's a pretty lookin' chick-coin (congrats!!)

... that crack scares me a bit, but I guess if it has lasted this long, it should stay intact during your coin-lifetime, eh?

=> yup, that's another sweet pick-up (man, you're coming-back to this coin site with a vengeance!!)

4. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I hope the crack doesn't get worse than it is now. I have a coin that has a crack worse than this coin, believe it or not and it held up fairly well. Well, I ain't getting the coin until next month but I just had to have it! lol

trajan.jpg

Trajan AE As. Rome, 9.9g, 27.55mm

OBV: IMP CAES NERVA TRAIAN AVG GERM PM, Laureate head right.

OBV: TR POT COS III PP SC, Victory walking left, carrying shield inscribed SPQR.

REF: RIC 417, Cohen 628. Sear 3242

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Gil-galad => apparently you're addicted to crack?

I don't have a denarius of Plautilla ... but I do have this sweet AE example

Plautilla, AE-26. Nicopolis, Moesia
    Augusta AD 202 – 205
    13.33g. 26mm.
    Obverse: Plautilla, the wife of Caracalla (Her draped bust right)
    Reverse: Eagle standing front on globe, head right, wreath in beak
    Reference: Moushmoff 1159; Pick 1636; Varbanov 3174
    Other: Nice with an even olive patina

Plautilla a.jpg Plautilla b.jpg

chrsmat71, randygeki, Eng and 2 others like this.
  6. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Very nice provincial of Plautilla. Yours is my second favorite hairstyle. I've seen 4 of them, I think. One of these days I'll be getting into provincials. I only have two coins, one from Nemausus and Philipi.

stevex6 likes this.
  7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Uh, if it were me I would walk away from this coin. The crack can split it in half anytime, the price I think is nuts for a coin with several problems.

Some here just need to learn patience, my two plautillas were both $50 each and light years better looking then this OP wreck.

8. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I hear ya on that but please look at my other coins and see how they are all wrecks and budget coins that reflect my budget that more than likely will not change. I have been looking for a decent coin of her for awhile. Have been fairly patient enough for over a year. What I like about this coin is the engraving style, despite the cracks and the chip.

Here is another choice for a coin of her that I didn't want and it was more expensive.

[​IMG]

This one is $45. I'm also committed to the current sale since I reserved it.

stevex6, randygeki and Eng like this.
  9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I like the engraving on the OP too but flaws I couldnt live with. I also know its hard to be patient and some coins over my collecting years I bought just because they were cheap. I stopped the itch but I wasn't satisfied. Extra $20 or so can go a long way.

You may have reversed it but you have the right to change your mind too.

I see both on Vcoins and the one from Praefectus is a better deal for a few $ more.

Remember, you can make offers too. Try $40 for the Praefectus one ;)

10. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Welcome back GG, hope your feeling better, nice to see old faces pop in. Love your coin, its a tough coin in any grade.

11. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

The OP coin is nice but for the problems I would have negotiated a lower price. To be honest I kind of like the other coin (with the Venus reverse) a little better, even if it is a bit more worn.

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The reason they make so many ancients is so we each can find the one that suits us best. I'll agree with most here that are more bothered by the chip than by extra wear but I can see why you liked that portrait. My three are quite different from each other. The first is an Eastern mint product and the last two from Rome could hardly be more different than they are in terms of hair style.

rs6930bb0977.jpg rs6940bb0354.jpg rs6950bb1129.jpg

chrsmat71, TIF, vlaha and 4 others like this.
  13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I wouldn't worry about the crack so much as long as the metal is good.
    00811.JPG

chrsmat71, zumbly, Gil-galad and 2 others like this.
  14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Good looking coin and good detail for a fine price. Congrats.

Here is my only Plautilla:
    Plautilla_opt.jpg
    PLAUTILLA AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: PLAVTILLAE AVGVSTAE, draped bust right
    REVERSE: CONCORDIAE AETERNAE, Plautilla & Caracalla clasping hands
    Struck at Rome, 202 AD
    2.83g, 18mm
    RIC 361

chrsmat71, zumbly, Gil-galad and 2 others like this.
  15. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Thanks guys for all the comments!! Very nice Plautilla coins.

I definitely could have haggled a bit, but I saw the price which was lower than many others and I decided to get it. I still like it and the engraving style and will get it. I still like it way better than the version at Praefectus.

I need to get back to haggling. I'm out of practice. lol

stevex6 likes this.
  16. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Doug, those are some of the coolest portrait styles I have EVER SEEN!:cool:

17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Become a style collector. It confuses dealers who can't understand why one coin sells for more than the one they own. I know one dealer who has a very highly refined sense of style and another that could not tell Rembrandt from Andy Warhol.

18. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

That's why I like the OP coin because I really like the engraving style. Despite the problems, I want it. lol

The longer I collect I will try to obtain various engraving styles of coins that I see for lower prices. Some more affordable coins. I try to collect as many obverse and reverse types as I can find at present along with my Roman ruler collection.

19. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

That's why I like the OP coin because I really like the engraving style. Despite the problems, I want it. lol

The longer I collect I will try to obtain various engraving styles of coins that I see for lower prices. Some more affordable coins. I try to collect as many obverse and reverse types as I can find at present along with my Roman ruler collection.

20. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I don't know how I double posted and I don't see a delete function unless I am blind. lol

Could someone tell me where the delete function is or could a mod remove the extra post?

21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

"Sorry, but I would far rather ridicule you than show you the answer!!"

=> yup, that was my father's quote to all of us while we were growin' up!!

Just jokes ... truth is => I've never figured-out how to fix my double-posts ... instead, I usually edit the double-post by writing-in something new ... hmmm, maybe that's why I have so many posts?!

dougsmit likes this.
  22. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice coin GG...some pretty good details on plautila really.

sure beats my silver pluatila pictured below...

don't have one yet. :confused:

vlaha likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted