Plated State Quarter? Super Shiny - 5.8 Grams

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Miri, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Miri

Miri New Member

What is the coating on this 2007 P Washington State quarter? Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

High school experiment not an error and as you stated it's been plated-damage.By the pictures I'd say steel but the only one who truly knows is the person that did it,still just a quarter.

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It's hard to tell from just a photo, but it looks like chromium to me. There are a lot of platinum-plated ones out there (the platinum's not thick enough to increase their value), but they seem like they aren't quite this shiny.

Spark1951 likes this.
  5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Back when the state quarters were running a fellow named Mike Mezak mad a small fortune plating these quarters and selling them as sets on the television. As @-jeffB said, there isn't enough precious metal coating to add any value, so numismatically speaking, they are simply damaged goods.

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Yours is not coated but it is plated and that makes it damage as it shouldn’t be.

Mountain Man and Inspector43 like this.
  7. Miri

Miri New Member

Thanks for all of the responses! It is such an unusual looking coin that I was curious about the cause of its appearance. I very much appreciate the expertise of all who assist those of us who are lack who extensive knowledge in this field!!!

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

;)
    You’re welcome and you should tune in more often. :)

9. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

10. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

When found in the wild these plated quarters really stand out! Nickel plating 97A059D8-39FD-49C9-B0F4-47B298300D04.jpeg ECC19998-ACD7-4735-92AF-5EA7698E806B.jpeg 9019722B-7E52-48B5-B6DB-C297A9E904B0.jpeg will give long lasting shiny surfaces
    A magnet test may reveal a slightly ferromagnetic attraction

11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

At least you recognized it was most likely plated. That's a good sign. Keep up the search.

12. Miri

Miri New Member

I will! Thank you!!

Draft saved Draft deleted