Plated or Not?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AZSteve, Oct 26, 2020.

1. AZSteve

AZSteve Well-Known Member

In my recent roll-hunting of dollars (see post in CRH dated 10/23), I came up with two interesting anomalies. One was a P-mint U.S.Grant that was mirror-shiny white - no color as opposed to a normal-shiny uncirculated gold-colored dollar. I am assuming this is plated unless someone can argue that it might be legit, in which case I will post a picture. I don't think any silvers were minted at Philly.

From the same source I got a P-mint Teddy Roosevelt with that was mirror-shiny gold. Again, not the same shiny as an uncirculated dollar (I got many samples of those), so I'm thinking it too might be plated. Difficult to get a good picture so several side-by-sides below, since I also got a slightly circulated, fairly shiny P-mint Roosevelt that looks legit (shown on the right in the pics).
    2TeddyRooseveltsObv1.jpg 2TeddyRooseveltsObv2.jpg 2TeddyRooseveltsObv3.jpg 2TeddyRooseveltsRev1.jpg 2TeddyRooseveltsRev2.jpg

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

It does appear as an after minting plating.

4. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

jamor1960 likes this.
  5. Scuba4fun777

Scuba4fun777 Well-Known Member

IMO, it’s outfits like this that detract from image of numismatics as a whole.
    Individuals see “24 KARAT GOLD” and unknowingly think that the few milligrams of gold plating there will be worth a whole lot more than the $20 + shipping that they paid for 4 gold-plated $1 USD coins. Then they’re disappointed when their LCS “only” offers face value for the coin, even years later.
    These trinkets ought to come with a warning box on them similar to a pack of cigarettes. However, on the the other hand, I’m glad that we (in the US, anyway) don’t live under a government that would mandate such a thing.

john65999 likes this.
  6. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information I have no interest in the site. Good luck

runninghorse1 likes this.
  7. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

at one time we found out how much .. or little gold plating was added. Inconsequential and it would take far too much effort and cost to extract it even at current gold prices.

8. AZSteve

AZSteve Well-Known Member

Thanks for the verification of my suspicions. As explained in my original post in CRH, I did not buy these two individual plated coins. They came in rolls with 578 of their legit brothers and sisters. I think they were bought by the person that collected all 580 of them (there were lots of legit collectables too). Someone cashed in all the rolls for face value at my CU. I will put the plated ones in my "Anomalies" section.

Bob Evancho likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted