Plated or a genuine error coin?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by gxseries, Feb 19, 2017.

1. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Went and got this off ebay. This was described as a white metal error coin. The original coin is a bi-metal coin.

Some pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did some weight test comparison but it seems to be within weight tolerance of all the other similar 10 ruble coin that I have. The edge is to show the color difference sandwiched between two genuine coin.

My question is, do you think this is a plated coin or a genuine wrong planchet error coin.

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Interesting. There were 2 versions of this coin in that year.
    I want to share this Numista image with you -
    steel.JPG

SchwaVB57 likes this.
  4. paddyman98

But you say that weight is about the same and by the looks of your picture they are exactly the same size..
    But.. the Bi-Metalic coin is Aluminum with Bronze center.. if it would be all of the same material it would be one of the same material. So it would be all Aluminum looking at the color of your picture.
    Try a magnet. If it sticks to it it's steel.
    Also.. the Steel version has a smooth edge.

I'm thinking plated then!

5. paddyman98

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Uh Paddy did you notice that the two coins you posted about are different denominations and very different sizes. The design is different on the denomination side as well. Similar, but not the same.

I strongly suspect the coin is plated. The bimetallic is made from two different pieces. Where would you get the second piece for the center the right size? Only place I could think of would be the center piece bunched out initially, and that wouldn't explain the odd color.

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. paddyman98

Ha yes I did. That's why I stated that there were 2 versions but in the next post I said that the OP shows that his coins are the same size. Should of been clearer on stating that my pictures are of 2 different sizes and edges ;)
    But I did say that I think his coin is plated also.

8. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I returned the first coin. Took a lot of effort to convince this cannot be genuine. Guess what? The seller still continues to offer it.

There was another coin that had me interested. This looked like it had to potential to be struck on the 1992 100 ruble planchet. I decided to see it in hand

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Weight wise for all the coins used

1991 10 ruble (normal) : 6.02g

1991 10 ruble (plated silver?): 5.91g

1992 50 ruble: 5.91g

1991 10 ruble (switched alloy?): 6.08g

You can see that the weight test is not reliable as the weight of these coins have a huge variance.

The surface just does not look right. At best, it looks like it is heavily cleaned. But the color and toning does not look right! Gold just looks too bright for brass and nickel copper just does not tone in such a funny color. Lastly the dot is something that just cannot happen unless it's plated.

Honestly I'm that tempted to put a scratch through the coin to demonstrate that it has been altered but I'm not too keen on throwing my money out. I've lost on shipping but this helps me keep in touch of the modern counterfeit / altered coins sellers would try to push through.

Your opinion?

9. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

It's been plated.

Draft saved Draft deleted