Plate coins in your collection

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Do you have any coins that served as the plate coin for a coin reference? I'd love to see them!

I have two:

Annia Faustina Isinda.jpg
    Annia Faustina, 3rd wife of Elagabalus, Augusta, 221 CE.
    Isinda, Pisidia, AE 25 mm
    8.55 gm; 25.0 mm
    Obv: ANNIAN FAVCTEINAN, Dr. bust of Faustina r.
    Rev: Confronted heads of Serapis and Isis, in field, E-Delta (yr. 4 ).
    Refs: Ex Lindgren I A1322A, ex von Aulock, Pisidia I 833 (Plate coin for both references).

Here is a xerox of the page from Lindgren I:

Lindgren Annia Faustina.jpg

The other one, a plate coin in Houghton's Coins of the Seleucid Empire:

Laodike Selucia.jpg
    Laodike IV, wife and sister of both Seleucus IV and Antiochus IV, 175-164 BCE.
    Selucia in Pieria. Æ (15 mm, 3.33 g).
    Obv: Veiled bust of Laodike IV.
    Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ, Elephant head l. Prow.
    Refs: Houghton, CSE 113 (plate coin); Forrer 183.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice cool plate coins guys!

When I originally posted it, mine was actually discovered HERE, by a CT Member, who had not published his book yet!

upload_2017-1-22_19-36-2.png
    Campania
    AE
    Apollo-Achelous
    275-250BCE
    SNG ANS 474
    Ex: A random shooting in an auction...
    Nicholas Molinari 15-June-2016 stated: "Your ... coin is a plate coin in Potamikon, number 343 in our catalog so Sambon 663; Taliercio IIIa.16; MSP I, 343, featuring Acheloios Sebethos as a man-faced bull. Taliercio cited three examples of this type, so yours is the fourth known of that particular variety."

4. ancientnut

ancientnut Well-Known Member

My current avatar is a plate coin in Oliver D Hoover's Handbook of Coins of Sicily (Volume 2 of The Handbook of Greek Coinage Series), 2012, page 420, #1611:

25 Thermai Himerensis.jpg

5. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Hey RC, That is the sweetest bust of Isis!

Does RPC online count?

lampsacus.jpg
    Mysia, Lampsacus. AE21. Volusian
    Obv: ΑΥΤ Κ ΟΥΙΒΙ ΟΛΟССΙΑΝ. laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Volusian, r.
    Rev: ΛΑΝΨΑΚΗΝ. Tyche standing l., holding rudder and cornucopia.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  6. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I have a Julia Domna from The Three Graces ... by Mark Staal
    the first one is a plate coin, the second is a similar coin I bought later
    IMG_2550.JPG
    IMG_2551.JPG

P1011678.JPG
    P1011680.JPG
    DSCN0254.JPG DSCN0255.JPG
    Julia Domna (Augusta, 193-217)
    Moesia Inferior, Marcianopolis.
    Æ Triassarion
    Obv - Draped bust r.
    Rev - The Three Graces standing—the outer two facing, with heads turned inward, the middle with back facing and with arm around other two.

7. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I have Sear, Roman Coins and their Values, Volume II, Hadrian 3677, an as, on pages 166-7.

HadrianSear3677.jpg

I got it from a friend who bought it from NFA. It seems many Sear photos were NFA coins. Of course, Sear's photos are in B&W and the photo shows nothing of the lovely green patina. Modern catalog and on-line images are far superior to the B&W images printed on paper in the past. For example, until 2004 CNG catalogs were in B&W (the first in color was #67). Now, we expect to see color enlargements of coins with far better resolution than a life-size paper image can provide.

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My most famous coin is Sear Byzantine 1262 (Justinian II) but Roman Bronze Coins 294-364 AD, from Paganism to Christianity by Victor Failmezger includes 98 of my coins. This was accomplished by my being the photographer and adding my coins to those of the author and two other friends. I'll spare you the 98 buy the Sear Byzantine is below. I admired the even quarter of the earlier flan on that plate for years and wanted one like it but never found one until the exact specimen turned up in a Frank Robinson sale last year. I could not resist it.
    rz0405fd3398.jpg

9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Here's another one from Sear's Roman Coins and their Values.
    Mark Antony - Chortivm Praetaroriavm.jpg
    MARK ANTONY
    AR Denarius. 3.61g, 17.8mm. Patrae (?) mint, autumn 32 - spring 31 BC. Sear RCV Vol. 1 p. 284, 1483 (this coin illustrated); Crawford 544/8. O: ANT AVG above Praetorian galley right, III VIR R P C below. R: CHORTIVM PRAETORIARVM, Legionary eagle (Aquila) between two standards (signa).
    Ex Stack's Sale December 2001, Lot #142; Ex Ponterio & Associates Sale 108 August 2000, Lot #307; Ex Gerhard Hirsch Auction 179, September 1993, Lot #770

Here it is on page 284 of the reference:
    Mark Antony - Chortivm Praetorium Sear Plate.jpg

Another another Three Graces provincial, but this one illustrated in Hristova and Jekov's The Local Coinage of the Roman Empire - Moesia Inferior, I - III c. A.D., MARCIANOPOLIS.
    Commodus Graces d.jpg
    COMMODUS
    AE25. 7.69g, 25mm. MOESIA INFERIOR, Marcianopolis, circa AD 177-192. Hristova & Jekov 6.10.26.4 (this coin illustrated); RPC IV online 4319; Varbanov 702 corr. (direction of heads). O: ΑΥ ΚΑΙ Λ ΑΥΡΗ ΚΟΜΟΔΟС, Bareheaded, draped, and cuirassed bust right. R: ΜΑΡΚΙΑΝΟΠΟΛƐΙΤΩΝ, the Three Graces standing facing, heads left, right, and right, respectively: the left holds amphora over dolphin, the center drapes arms over others, and the right holds wreath over amphora.
    Ex Dr. George Spradling Collection; Ex Alexandre de Barros Collection; ex CNG 47 (16 Sep 1998), lot 833

Curtisimo, Orfew, Cucumbor and 17 others like this.
  10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

11. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I have many coins that were used in the plates for ERIC II but am not sure that counts.

12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Having coins which appear in print books is definitely satisfying :)

I didn't have any (that I know of) until Naville started selling some ex-Dattari coins of Roman Egypt. Another round of these was yesterday. I bid on seventeen and came away with one, a rather unremarkable, worn, and relatively common coin but at least the price was good. I bid very aggressively on a few and was the underbidder. On the rest I wasn't even close to being the immediate underbidder. The hammers for most of yesterday's Dattari lots seemed very high considering the condition of most lots.

Anyway... now I have six coins which are plate coins. All appear in the Savio compilation of Dattari coins and one also appears in the original Dattari book. Some are in virtual plates such as RPC online.

[​IMG]
    Tiberius obol, year 5; /hippo

[​IMG]
    Marcus Aurelius diobol, year 12; /uraeus

[​IMG]
    Antoninus Pius obol, year 19; /Horus falcon (or hawk)

[​IMG]
    Domitian diobol, year 9; /bust of Isis

[​IMG]
    Antoninus Pius obol, year 11; /griffin

Not yet in hand: Antoninus Pius diobol, year 2; /bust of Zeus Ammon

EDITED TO ADD:

I think I'll have a few more plate coins when Emmett's next book is published and I might also have a coin in the next volume of MFB coinage from @Nicholas Molinari :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Curtisimo, Orfew, Cucumbor and 19 others like this.
  13. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

From the Sylloge Nummorum Parthicorum, Volume 7, Vologases I - Pacorus II:
    normal_Sellwood_74_5v_Artabanos_III_tetradrachm-0.jpg
    Parthia, Artabanos III
    AR tetradrachm
    c. 80 – 90 AD (struck May, 81 AD)
    Sellwood 74.5 var., Sunrise 441 var. (Artabanos V), SNP7: 841A (this coin)

And all of the following are from the Catalogue of Elymaean Coinage by P.A. van’t Haaff, published by CNG, Inc., 2007:
    normal_Van__t_Haaff_8_2_3-1_Kamnaskires_IV_obol+s-0.jpg
    Elymais, Kamnaskires IV
    AR obol
    c. 63/2 – 54/3 BC
    Van’t Haaff 8.2.3-1a (this coin)

normal_Van__t_Haaff_12_3_1_1_1B_e_Kamnaskires-Orodes_drachm-0.jpg
    Elymais, Kamnaskires-Orodes
    AE drachm
    Early to mid 2nd Century AD
    Van’t Haaff 12.3.1-1B.e (this coin)
    Ex-Van’t Haaff Collection

normal_Van__t_Haaff_17_1_1_2a_Orodes_IV_drachm-0.jpg
    Elymais, Orodes IV
    AE drachm
    Second half of 2nd Century AD
    Van’t Haaff 17.1.1-2a (this coin)

normal_Van__t_Haaff_14_7_1-1Ba_Phraates_tetradrachm-0.jpg
    Elymais, Phraates
    AE tetradrachm
    Early to mid 2nd century AD
    Van’t Haaff 14.7.1-1B.a (this coin)

Curtisimo, Orfew, Cucumbor and 17 others like this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I did not know there was to be another Emmett book. Details?

15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

From communications with him in October 2014:

"I am working on a real variety catalogue for the Elagabalus to Domitius Domitianus section-- currently working on Probus. If you have any unlisted varieties, I would be interested in including them. I am keeping my numbering system and adding varieties as a, b, c etc."

I posted a notice of this on CoinTalk around that time, although in that post I didn't know the book skipped the first half of emperors and started with Elagabalus.

I don't know when the book is due out.

Edited: I found some additional emails. He was to start working on the image plates in January 2016. Maybe it's wrapping up now? I'll find out.

randygeki and Roman Collector like this.
  16. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Recently on my trip to Ostia I had the opportunity to view the original sculpture.

Ostia Three Graces sculpture.jpg

Curtisimo, Orfew, RAGNAROK and 9 others like this.
  17. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Some of my best provenance and plate coin discoveries were made when not really looking for them. This one was recently discovered accidentally while researching a completely different coin in Sear, History and Coinage of the Roman Imperators. While flipping pages, the plate for P.CLODIVS caught my eye for its distinctive flan shape. I let out a "woo hoo" when I concluded it's my P.Clodius in that Sear volume.

roman232obv.jpg roman232rev.jpg

Curtisimo, Orfew, RAGNAROK and 19 others like this.
  18. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Thanks for posting.
    My bucket list is long. A trip to Ostia, Hadrian's Palace, see a Roman aqueduct, Trajan's column, ... are on the list. Attending the NYINC this year knocked one off.

Carausius likes this.
  19. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Here is one from SNG von Aulock, volume 2, plate 99, #3100.

JuliaPaulaLydiaSaitta900.jpg

Julia Paula, wife of Elagabalus (who reigned 218-222)
    City of Saitta in Lydia.
    29 mm.
    ex Rath list, June 1977, lot 258.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  20. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

I'm bored so I'll play.

aug_a- done.jpg

Augustus Cistophoric Tetradrachm Ephesus

AUGUSTUS. 27 BC-14 AD. AR Cistophoric Tetradrachm (24mm, 11.89 gm, Die Axis 1:00). Ephesus mint. Struck 24-20 BC. IMP. CAE-SAR, bare head right / AVGVSTVS, capricorn right, head left, holding cornucopiae; all within laurel wreath. References: BMC (Vol. I) No. 696; CBN (Vol. I) 916; RIC (Vol. I) 480; RPC (Vol. I) 2213; RSC (Vol. I) 16; Sutherland Group VI No. 239 (O33/R43) THIS COIN (illustrated). Toned. Satin brown patina. Silver highlights

Sutherland plate coin (The Cistophori of Augustus) 1970

Ex Rodolfo Ratto Sale, Lugano Switzerland (Feb. 8, 1928), Lot 1719
    Ex Lempertz (23 February 1939), lot 960.
    Ex CNG via private sale
    Ex John Malcolm Hayes Collection (corinthstater.com)

pamphylia side both.jpg

Pamphylia, Side 205-100 BC ex von Aulock

PAMPHYLIA Side. Circa 205-100 BC. Tetradrachm (Silver, 31mm, 16.58 g 12), Ath.... Head of Athena to right, wearing Corinthian helmet. Rev. ΑΘ Nike alighting to left, holding wreath in her outstretched right hand and fold of her drapery with her left; to left, pomegranate. SNG France 669. SNG von Aulock 4777 ( THIS COIN ). One of the scarce earlier issues, very attractively toned. About extremely fine.

Ex Peus 282, 30 October 1973, 161, and from the collection of H.S. von Aulock.
    Ex Nomos 13 Oct 7 2016 Lot 225

SNG von Aulock Vol 2 #4777 this coin 1962

Curtisimo, Orfew, Cucumbor and 15 others like this.
  21. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Your coin from selinous is in the plates of Potamikon already. See the plates corresponding to the identity section.

Deacon Ray, Alegandron and TIF like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted