Plastic Coin Tubes

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jallengomez, Apr 13, 2010.

1. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

I'm not sure of the mechanism, but I believe it is the container shrinking, not the coins expanding.

I purchased a roll of gem uncirculated 1958 quarters. The gentleman that sold them to me had owned them for decades. They were nearly impossible to extricate from the tube. In fact, I damaged one with a rotary tool I was using to try to cut the casing (moron!) I eventually got them out one-by-one, but it was a harrowing experience.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Is it the clear hard ( maybe celluloid) tubes of decades ago, or the translucent flexible tubes, that are most common today? Most likely it is the clear ones, as they can alter in different humidity/temperature storage. If it the modern ones, perhaps the tubes are the same ( try a new cent and see if it fits) but the coins have developed some corrosion on the edges that is holding them. Hard to tell without a photo or something.

4. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

I got an idea. PCGS can start slabbing rolls of coins. What a racket!!!

5. Coinman1974

Coinman1974 Research, Research, Research

LOL, how did that turn out?

LOL, nice!

I was going to suggest using a lighter under it or a hammer :computer:

Regards,
    Stan

6. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

7. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

8. Coinman1974

9. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

Aye Caramba!!!

10. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I don't recall a simple relationship between the density of plastics vs metals with respect to expansion and contraction. However, I do believe that the linear expansion of copper is quite a bit less than most plastics that are used for pipes.

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

As long as you take your time and don't act like you're using a ramrod on an old flintlock rifle, you will probably not cause any damage. Do you have another alternative?

Chris

12. Coinman1974

I like my hammer idea:D

13. CheetahCats

I just meant from the macroscopic level there would be a simple relation, as plastics are primarily made from hydrocarbons. Hydrogen and carbon [molecules] are less dense than copper, zinc, tin.

14. Tom B

I agree that H and C are less dense than Zn, Cu or Sn. I was thinking in a different way and wondering what type of crosslinking might be present in the plastics that would be absent in the crystal structure of a metal.

15. CheetahCats

LOL... And if I did get it backwards, perhaps placing it onto the top shelf (or colander) in a vegetable steamer would be the operative procedure! :goofer:

16. CheetahCats

Point taken! Didn't think enough about it at that level! :thumb:

17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If it is one of the clear plastic tubes, lay it on it's side on a flat hard surface and gently hit the tube with a hammer. It will eventually split down the side.

Chris

18. Tom B

Chris, would one hit it like they were opening up a Maryland crab?:D

19. CheetahCats

Make sure you put down some brown paper or newsprint! Just don't dip'em in vinegar, butter, or old bay!

20. Tom B

Heck, the butter might help the coins come out of the tube!:thumb:

21. CheetahCats

BTW, I use the butt end (handle side) of a butter knife to crack my crabs. I wouldn't suggest hitting the tube with that!

Draft saved Draft deleted