Planchet vs. flan

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by pawjtr, Jan 14, 2005.

  1. pawjtr

    pawjtr New Member

    A quick question, what is the difference between a planchet and a flan?
  2. Avatar

    Guest User Guest

    to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

    satootoko Retired

    The same as the difference between to-mah-to and to-may-to. :)

    Both are names for the (usually) round piece of metal that is going to be hammered or struck into a coin. They derive from different languages, but I don't have any handy references in the computer room to see which ones.
  4. collect4fun

    collect4fun Senior Member

    From The Numismatic's Glossary, A Comprehensive Listing Of Pertinent Terminology

    Planchet, blank
    The disc of metal or other material on which the dies of the coin, token or medal are impressed; also called blank, disc, flan. In paper money, a small colored disc embedded in the paper used as an anti-counterfeiting device.

    See Planchet.
  5. joesmom

    joesmom Member

    Flan...Yummy custard-like dessert :D

    Sorry, couldn't resist. :p
  6. pawjtr

    pawjtr New Member

    HAHAHAHAHAA. good one joesmom
  7. collect4fun

    collect4fun Senior Member

    I was going to post a recipe, but I did not think that was what he was asking about. :) . So I went with the numismatic definition instead. ;)
  8. Conder101

    Conder101 Numismatist

    I believe flan and blank mean the same thing. That would be the piece of metal punched from the strip. After the blank or flan has had its edge upset or raised in the upsetting mill it is then ready to be struck into a coin and at that point it is a planchet.
  9. Aidan Work

    Aidan Work New Member

    The terms 'flan' & 'planchet' both mean the same thing.I use the term 'planchet',as a 'flan' reminds me of the flan rings that a baker has in their kitchen.
  10. tradernick

    tradernick Coin Hoarder

    Oh MAN that's exactly what I was thinking. Nice going!
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page