Planchet flaws gets a details grade

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by PFCBEGA, Apr 8, 2010.

1. PFCBEGA

PFCBEGA Staff Numismatist HA.com

So, i was browsing HA's site as i will be on the floor for this paticular auction and stumbeled across this, Since it's not post mint damage and indeed struck this way should it get a details grade?

Opinons?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. nss

nss Gold Plated Member

Stumbled across what?

4. PFCBEGA

PFCBEGA Staff Numismatist HA.com

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

And why should it be graded. Planchet flaws can make a coin ungradeable. I do not know just where the point is that it becomes ungradeable, but here is PCGS genuine coin list;

6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I just today sent into NGC about 10 nickels. One a 1918 D unc. Buffalo with a Platchet flaw. It is/was done at the mint not post mint. Lamination error or just a imperfect blank. If clash marks don't cause a coin to be body bagged why should a mint error. I have sent in over 50 mint mistriked or mint errors and all but one have come back graded.....some I might add with better grades than a UNC. MS coin with full steps. The one that did come back bagged was a rim ding from being ejected from the press. Again mint damage not post damage or being altered.Lets see what happens with the Buffalo...as if it grades it's going to be a valuable coin.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The point is that damaged coins are considered ungradeable. But, as is true with many things when it comes to grading, there are varying degrees of damage. Rim dings, scratches, gouges, and planchet flaws - all of these things can make a coin ungradeable. But it is the severity of the damage that determines if it is ungradeable or not.

Granted, planchet flaws are given more leeway, leniency if you will, than other forms of damage. But if the planchet flaws are severe enough they too will make a coin ungradeable. In any case, planchet flaws always affect the grade in a negative way. So it is logical to say that if severe enough a planchet flaw will result in no grade at all.

And it is important to note that errors are not considered to be damage. Now I know that may be a hard pill to swallow when you consider things like struck planchet fragments, for they are graded. But they are considered to be different and outside of the damage rule.

8. jerseycat10

jerseycat10 Peace Dollar Connoisseur

I actually asked this question to the NGC folks.

If a coin has a planchet flaw, it will be put in a details holder, unless the flaw is significant enough to be of interest to mint error collectors, in which case it will be attributed as a mint error.

I just sent in a coin that i hope gets such attribution, and not a details holder.

9. GDJMSP

I suspct one of two things is true - either the person you talked to did not understand your question and thus gave you the wrong answer; or - NGC has drastically changed their policy recently.

I say that bcause there are countless coins that do have planchet flaws that are in NGC holders. And they are not labled as errors.

10. jerseycat10

Here is the thread in question:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3845991#Post3845991

11. GDJMSP

12. jerseycat10

Well, my cracked planchet Peace Dollar was attributed as a mint error!

1922PLANCHET CRACK @8:00S$1MINT ERROR MS 63

13. GDJMSP

OK - and your point is ? As I said, a cracked planchet and a planchet flaw are not the same thing.

A coin with cracked planchet would be considered as an error.

A coin with a planchet flaw is not considered as an error.

14. jerseycat10

Glad to see you rose on the right side of the bed this morning. Why the hostility? :rolleyes:

The following is a quote from NGC: "If the crack is minor it would result in a Details Grade for a Planchet Flaw."

My point is, some planchet cracks ARE considered Planchet flaws, and not errors, while larger cracks are ARE considered errors, and not Planchet flaws.

As such, your following statement is false:

"A coin with cracked planchet would be considered as an error."

15. GDJMSP

There is, was no hostility. It was an honest question.

And you can talk semantics all you want, but the definition is right there in black and white - you even quoted it.

While it may technically be a cracked planchet, if it is minor it is not considered to be a cracked planchet, but instead a planchet flaw.

So my statement is still valid.

16. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

I fail..nevermind, lol.

Draft saved Draft deleted