Planchet Error of Some Sort

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by No_Ragrets, Feb 25, 2024.

1. No_Ragrets

No_Ragrets Well-Known Member

Hello again everyone! I've got some newer photos of a coin previously posted here that has some kind of planchet issue. If my memory serves me correctly, someone had suggested some kind of planchet flaw while I was leaning towards something along the line of a ragged clip.

To be honest, I really have no idea what this is, but I'm 99% sure it's not PMD due to a weakness showing on the reverse directly behind this... whatever you want to call it lol! The reason why I'm reposting this with newer (hopefully a little bit better) photos is because I'm contemplating sending a batch of coins in to grade in the somewhat-near future, and this might be included if I can get in touch with PCGS to find out if they will attribute whatever we determine here to be the issue along with a Bugs Bunny variety.

Sorry to be a little long-winded and for the repost, but if you could find a few minutes to chime in here, I would greatly appreciate it! Have a nice Sunday, and thanks again!!

20240225_142158.jpg 20240225_142223.jpg 20240225_142005.jpg 20240225_141742.jpg 20240225_141525.jpg 20240225_141438.jpg 20240225_141705.jpg 20240225_141621.jpg 20240225_141650.jpg 20240225_141913.jpg

Pickin and Grinin, JPD3, Dima and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I've got some Franklin Halfs that I got from my father's collection. I look at a lot of coins in magazines and on the internet. It helps me decided which coins are more valuable. I look at Cointalk daily for information. Thanks to all that contribute.

PamR, JPD3, Coins4Eli and 2 others like this.
  4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hmm. Interesting. You might want to consult @paddyman98.

5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

6. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Definitely not after -strike as there is weakness on the opposite side

7. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I did not look at the back close enough. I agree with Lamination loss before strike
    as JCro57 stated.

No_Ragrets likes this.
  9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Fun Coin! And nice Bugs.
    I would be happy to have it in my collection.

No_Ragrets and SensibleSal66 like this.
  10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Clips are associated with coins that are not round. If this planchet did have a strait or ragged clip there wouldn't be enough metal to fill out the third side when struck. You would be left with a semi strait looking incomplete planchet.
    Here is a reference page for ragged clips.
    https://www.error-ref.com/ragged-clips/

No_Ragrets likes this.
  11. No_Ragrets

Is that something that PCGS (or any TPG) would even attribute? If not, I'll gladly keep it as-is in the capsule and save my money for other coins.

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

To me it looks like a lamination error with the piece missing. It also looks to be a Bugs Bunny coin. Check out the teeth. Both are attributed by the right TPG but you gotta pay for it. Not sure that’s it’s worth the cost.

No_Ragrets likes this.
  13. No_Ragrets

Yeah, that's the real deciding factor. Breaking even on it wouldn't really make me want to go through the hassle. I've tried looking up a potential value on comparable coins through previous and current auctions but haven't gotten a single hit yet. Maybe because it's a rarity, maybe because nobody wants to sell theirs, or maybe because nobody wanted to pay the piper to find out what it's worth? Maybe something I've overlooked, too?

I find error coins interesting and I like finding variety coins and this one has both. I just don't know if the juice is worth the squeeze on it. Without digging through my stuff, I think I paid $20 for it. What do you all think? Hypothetically speaking, how much would you be willing to pay for a slabbed error Franklin with Bugs Bunny? Maybe that would help me make my decision on grading or not.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  14. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Not a question that I can answer for you. I think most all information about TPG's can be found on their websites somewhere.

No_Ragrets likes this.
  15. Collecting Nut

I can buy a MS Bugs Bunny coin for around $25.00. The date and the amount of the die clash may raise or lower the price $5.00.
    Figure $25.00 for the Bugs variety and how much is a lamination error on a Franklin going for, then add in 5-10% and that should give you a ballpark price for its value. Remember, retail prices are higher than selling prices.

No_Ragrets likes this.
  16. No_Ragrets

That's good enough reason to me to leave him right where he is! Thank you!

alurid and Collecting Nut like this.
  17. Collecting Nut

Bugs Bunny Franklins are fairly common. The die clash was caused by the eagles wings when the two dies were struck together without a planchet in the middle.

No_Ragrets likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted