Planchet Deformity?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Dave from the country, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Hello People,
    Has anyone seen anything like the damage to the rim of this 1980 uncirculated Canadian penny? Is it the result of a deformed planchet or some kind of die damage? I took 2 photos of each side of the coin. Thanks for any comments or information. Dave

Attached Files:

CygnusCC and Insider like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CygnusCC

CygnusCC Roping the Learns Supporter

4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Please post the whole of both obv and rev. Click Full size for the images NOT thumbnails. If it is an incomplete planchet the Blakesley effect should be visible

5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Not necessarily.

In this case, it looks like a perfectly legit incomplete planchet. See the tapering of the rim to each side of the break?

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Yes interesting . Can you show full pics of the coin ? Thanks

7. Here are more photos and thanks for the interest. WIN_20210606_17_43_40_Pro.jpg WIN_20210606_17_43_56_Pro.jpg WIN_20210606_17_44_56_Pro.jpg WIN_20210606_17_45_32_Pro.jpg WIN_20210606_22_17_46_Pro.jpg WIN_20210606_22_17_53_Pro.jpg WIN_20210606_22_17_57_Pro.jpg WIN_20210606_22_18_00_Pro.jpg WIN_20210606_22_18_14_Pro.jpg WIN_20210606_22_18_18_Pro.jpg

CygnusCC likes this.
  8. CygnusCC

Hmm, looks like rim distortion on opposite side, but hard to tell if it's Blakesley effect compared to the references I'm seeing online. The relief elements look intact, but the rim is distorted - but that could be just pmd...

It's going to take someone with more experience than I to confirm. :)

For what it's worth, it's hard to figure out exactly where the opposite side of the coin is with just partial pictures. It would be great if you could pull back and take a photo of the entire coin.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks like a defective planchet when the coin was struck.

10. I'll try for an entire picture with my phone...my camera setup won't let me take one of an entire coin...not good enough so I'll try with my phone and see what happens.

11. CygnusCC

no biggie if it's too much trouble. I think there's enough evidence (at least for me) to say that looks like a planchet error and not PMD. Others will pipe up if they need more. :)

Good find!

Dave from the country likes this.
  12. Thank you. I agree. I appreciate your comments.

13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Based upon your photos, I would say it was a planchet error. Probably improperly mixed alloy before the planchet was punched. It could have been almost intact before the strike and the pressure caused the piece to separate. In hand examinations are easier, but that's my guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted