Planchet Defect, or Damage

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mitch721, Apr 11, 2017.

1. mitch721

mitch721 New Member

I have an 1858 FE in nice original AU condition, and has been in a 2x2 for years. I was preparing to send it to ANACS, and saw this "hole" on the Rev., just below the "O" in one. The metal appears to be cracked and uneven. Would appreciate your opinions whether you think it's planchet defect, or damage. Also, if it is a planchet defect, would that affect the value negatively. There are small amounts of original mint luster outside the lettering on the Obv.

Close​

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

4. mitch721

mitch721 New Member

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You missed Klingon :greyalien:

6. mitch721

mitch721 New Member

This is Mitch 721. For those of you who think that you need to be psychics to see the coin, that is
    NOT true. I have two clear photos to post, but they did not show up.
    This is my first venture on COIN TALK, and would be grateful if someone (anyone) would please
    tell me how to get my photos to
    the site. Much Thanks.

7. mitch721

mitch721 New Member

That's Funny!! I have no idea how
    all of those countries showed up. I
    was attempting to add my 2 photos. I figured out how to erase the countries, and now NO ONE will
    know what the heck we are talking about. (What about Persia?-I think
    I also missed that.)

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. mitch721

mitch721 New Member

Hi Jeff: Yes, [Oh, my]-[Oh, my]-[Oh, my.] I'm embarrassed !!! Please read my replies below. I attempted to add my photos, and the countries of the UN printed out.
    I do not have any idea what happened. It should all clear up
    after someone tells me how to add my photos. PLEASE stop worrying: I
    wouldn't want you to go to bed with this heavy burden on your mind.

9. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Click on the "Upload a File" button and follow the instructions.
    Or you can copy and paste directly to your post.

tommyc03 likes this.
  10. mitch721

mitch721 New Member

Hi Rick: You win a Steak Dinner. The first considerate member to come to the aid of a First Time poster on COIN TALK. The photos are below. Now all I need to do is to
    get them up near my question.

Attached Files:

• 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      774.3 KB
      Views:
    • 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      751.6 KB
      Views:
    McBlzr likes this.
  11. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

Click the camera picture icon on your phone screen then upload a file from your phone or wherever you might have them saved.

20 years from now.... I tried to help when they all laughed at you.

But seriously, thats all I know.

12. DysfunctionalVeteran

I say planchet defects. Look on the obverse above the eagles head. See the small pit? Me thinks the lack of metal along with circulation caused the implosion of missing metallic pieces.

Acetone her up and stick er in a 2x2.

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Either way it hurts the value. I would not send it in to be graded.

14. mitch721

mitch721 New Member

To A Well Known Member: Thank You for standing by a member in distress> YES, Let Them Laugh, They (who the heck ever they are) laughed at N. TESLA. However, I'm still not able to get my photos up near my question. The pictures are quite nice ! Don't you think?

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Yes. Nice images. and welcome to CT.

16. mitch721

mitch721 New Member

Dear Dysfunctional Veteran, You are one of the good guys--THANKS.
    Your advise to me is to click some kind of CAMERA PICTURE ICON ON MY PHONE SCREEN! Who the hell has a phone screen. I did not get a cell phone yet. So, icons on phone screens are little ways down the road for Mitch!

17. DysfunctionalVeteran

Yup. Clean the dirt and grime off with acetone and i hate saying it, loosen the tough stuff with a toothpick. I only suggest going hands on since the coin isnt too rare/expensive and its perfect practice piece.

Anyway... acetone it and sell it as a rare sucking plate lamination. Someone will buy it.

18. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Edit your post to add the pics. Really not needed, though.

19. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Forgive me for altering your images, @mitch721. It has nothing to do with your imaging skills and everything to do with my own neuroses. :)

012.JPG

011.JPG

011detail.JPG

Intriguing. I see flaked metal around the impact area, which clearly indicates the planchet was laminated and metal fell away. However, I also see an impact. :)

What I don't see is any bleedthrough on the obverse face, where one would think that impact might be visible, being so deep. On the other hand, delaminations don't usually take the form of nice rounded divots, either.

Are we looking at a fortuitous impact which delaminated metal that was prepared to depart with the right hit in the right place? I dunno. Like I said, intriguing. :)

paddyman98 likes this.
  20. DysfunctionalVeteran

Look at the one all the way to the right near what Ill call the "Hitchcock Complex" coins distinguishing outlined feature.

21. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Oooh. I missed that one completely. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted