Plain old Silver .25?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by nuMRmatist, Aug 4, 2015.

1. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

I posted this on Coin F/B page, for approximate grade. Removed from circulation 25+ years ago............

Usually you get responses like, "Sorry, no premium", etc.

But this time, some said proof (I don't think so), and one said Special Mint Strike, with Leaves OVER Arrows...
    http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/5974?redir=t

???

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Doesnt have the satin look and odds are its not sms. First thing i thought from seeing your pics was that it was polished. But thats just my opinion.

4. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

check for ddo..

5. Evan8

Pretty sure thats just machine doubling

6. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

Your pics aren't as clear as I'd like them to be but it appears to be either a highly polished standard business strike Washington or quite possibly a highly polished 1964 silver Washington Quarter with the type C reverse

Can you get better pics of the reverse....here's why...

There are three pick up points for a proof reverse of the Washington Quarter

WASH_PUPS_PROOF_REVERSE.jpg

On the proof there is a VERY clear separation between the E and S of STATES
    The leaf tip to the left of the arrow tips ends above the upper arrow's tip
    and the leaf tip above the A in DOLLAR actually touches the A

Overall the reverse strike on your coin is very sharp, that's what's odd about this coin. If its not a proof reverse it is certainly struck well. This means one more possibility, tho and that is a 1964 REVERSE C A.K.A the reverse of 1965. The C reverse was a sharpening of the original business strike design which was done in prep for the transition to the clad coinage the following year. There are known examples of 1964 Silver quarters with the Type C Reverse. IF that's what that is it is definitely worth more.

What's leading me to believe the reverse if 1965 theory here is that the leave above the A in DOLLAR does seem to be touching the A, the ES in STATES looks to have that distinct separation but the leaf tip to the left of the arrow tips is not ending above the top arrow tip.

However the highly polished look has me worried that it was just a well struck business strike quarter that someone polished and tried to pass of as a proof.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    Kirkuleez and Mojavedave like this.
  7. phankins11

The SMS strikes that they were probably referring to there are the SMS strikes of 1965-1967. They indeed were highly polished and proof like. They were intended as a replacement for Proof coins because the mint didn't produce proofs from those years. The satin finish you're thinking of are from the more recent (within the last 10 years) SMS strikes

8. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I would say it looks like a regular 90% silver quarter. Definitely not a Type B reverse and definitely not a Type C reverse (as far as I'm aware, these have only been discovered on Denver minted 1964 quarters...)

I would be excited to find this in my pocket change...but I would think it only has a value of silver melt (unless there is a variety that we can't see with the photos provided.

19Lyds likes this.
  9. phankins11

Oh you're right!...i forgot that detail.

I'm just thrown with how sharp that strike is I guess and the highly polished look. That lower leaf over the A is hardly ever that sharp on a Standard reverse.

10. phankins11

I wonder if someone polished it because it was so well stuck...and tried to pass it off as a proof

11. nuMRmatist

I put it under a scope.

The 'A' in 'DOLLAR' is touching the leaf, and the tip of 'A' has the leftward angle.

I still don't think proof tho'.

Waiting for an ANACS Member to get back to me here............

12. Evan8

Yes i know about the sms sets of 65-67 as i have some. However they are referring to the 1964 sms that are very rare. And they werent always highly polished. The 1964 sms were a satin luster. It wasnt until 1966 and 1967 they became more prooflike.

phankins11 likes this.
  13. nuMRmatist

How do we tell the difference?

This is 'Satin' as they get. I think that's why so many on F/B said proof...

Sometimes it's like talkin' to a lawyer; "You got no case" (cause there's no money in it for him)......................

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  14. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Highly polished because the polish lines are visible on the coins yet they appear completely uncirculated.

Note how the coins below have the exact same die polish lines.

Washington 1964 SMS-03.jpg

Washington 1964 SMS-04.jpg

Washington 1964 SMS-05.jpg

I simply do not see evidence of Die Polish lines on the OP's coin.
    As such, its definitely not an SMS coin based upon the photographs.

To me, it appears simply as a polished 1964 Quarter.

15. Evan8

Regardless, OP's coin is not sms nor is it proof. Just like i said before its been polished by someone.

16. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

Yup.. cleaned silver quarter, no more no less.

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'll add to the pile on........just a plain ol' highly polished business strike. :)

18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Interesting...

Perhaps I've misunderstood, but you think the reason you're not being told it is some rare and highly valuable variety is because no one else would be sharing in your great windfall?

19. nuMRmatist

Nah Books... just how MUCH winfall. ;)

It has the left angling tip that phankins posted. AND it touches, with a TINY valley between.

Only question is, is it a proof, which I doubt, or SMS.

[NOT] Sorry naysayers...........................................

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Oh there are none so blind as those who will not see.......

21. phankins11

After looking at your pics again I know it's not proof. I pulled some of my 64 UNCs and all if them are struck this sharply that lower leaf above the A being just as clear. I was able to view the pics on a bigger monitor and there isn't any separation between the E and S of STATES either.

That being the case, the shine yours has is almost for sure some sort of "rub job" where a pencil eraser or magic eraser is used to shine it up without leaving scratches on the coin.

Until today I was unaware of an SMS strike 1964 Washington so I have homework to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted