Places (Brick&Mortar and Digital) to Buy Graded Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by rysherms, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

I did some research on this site, on Google, etc, for places to buy graded coins. I don't want to bias the people who choose to answer this by listing them here. But what I would like to know is this: which places are the best, and there are many facets to what makes a place best (price, selection, speed of shipping, etc) to buy graded, higher end coins? For example, I am trying to put together a set of 1/20th oz and 1/10th gold maple leafs in their highest available grade. I love fractional gold and I only buy graded coins from NGC (lets try not to get in a debate about TPGs). But after doing a search of the census, the number of available coins are extremely low. It almost seems as if I am going to have to purchase the coins raw (something I am very, very reluctant to do) and have them graded myself.

So if you know of a place with a large, browse-able inventory, please list it here and explain why you think this is the place to buy from.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Heritage, and Stacks & Bowers.

Reputable for high end and value numismatic items.

4. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

For your interests it would appear that places such as APMEX or Modern Coin Mart would be best. For folks with other interests the list would be entirely different.

5. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

yeah, I tried both. neither has neither.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There's a very thin market for the coins that you are interested in, at least graded examples of them. In most cases, when looking to buy graded bullion, ebay is gonna be about it.

7. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

tell me about it.

i have already acquired everything in the 1/20 maple that has ever appeared on the bay. which sounds like alot, but its really not. only the 2011, 2o12 and 2013 have closed on there.

i am rapidly concluding that if i am going to complete this set, i am going to have to buy them raw and have the graded myself. which i really do not want to do. i am completely paranoid about buying fake gold coins. i am able to test my silver ones rather quickly, but gold i have to drag down to a jeweler friend of mine with one of those $10k element detecting guns; and then this guy knows what i own.

i guess if i do buy my own raw, and submit them myself, the miniscule plus side will be that i can keep the cost down somewhat. so far i have acquired every one of the graded 1/20's at an average of $97.50 each. i think i can buy them raw around $70, and mass grade them for maybe $25 each, which is cool with me as long as i stay under $100 per graded coin in that set i am happy.

cant someone bless me with a hidden vault of knowledge of where all the graded fractional gold is?

8. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

9. BUncirculated

You're going on the assumption that all fractional gold is submitted to a TPG for grading and slabbing.

Not all of it is, and surprisingly enough, the possibility exists that a large amount of fractional gold is not submitted to a TPG, but rather it's kept in the original packaging.

10. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

i cannot even comprehend where in what i wrote gave you the impression that i am under the assumption that all fractional gold is submitted to TPGs.

i specifically wrote that i do not want to go through the process of BUYING IT RAW, and SUBMITTING IT MYSELF.

it just makes no sense.

11. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

i appreciate the link. i have not used them. have you personally? good?

also, can you explain the process? it seems different than ebay. as a buyer, do i need only use a CC or PayPal and bid on items i like and pay just the price? or is it like heritage? what about shipping? i like that ebay has a price, i bid a higher price, maybe plus a shipping cost, and thats what i owe. who pays shipping? what is the average receiving time?

sorry for the questions. but i shied away from heritage because they literally have ZERO of this very obscure niche i am collecting, so i havent even bothered bidding on anything. i got the free membership (and the tshirt) but have yet to pull the trigger on anything. i haven't bought so i don't know the process of adding the 17.5% commission, then shipping info, pricing, payment, etc.

i'd love for someone to explain the whole buying process, beginning to end, who pays what, when i receive from time of payment, etc for heritage and great collections.

12. BUncirculated

That's not my fault.

13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I've bought from Great Collections couple times and had nothing but positive experiences. Works much like eBay. I paid with PayPal and the coins arrived quickly from Great Collections which offers a little more privacy.

14. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

rysherms,

For future purchases, have you thought of buying directly from the Canadian Mint? It's easy to do. Two issues: currency conversion charges by the CC company and shipping is quite high, BUT, you will at least know where the coin came from....

Great Collections is great company to work with. 10% BP. If you go to the "buy now" coins, there is no BP. Somewhere on the site, there will be a table for shiping charges. YOU are responsible for those, just like any auction site.

15. geekpryde

I have purchased from GreatCollections twice recently, and I would describe both transactions "excellent". Their pictures are very good, and more importantly, very representative of how the coins look in-hand. Shipping is very fast, especially compared with other auction houses. Paying is super easy, basically you get an invoice for the coins you purchases that day, and pay via paypal. There is a 10% buyers fee, but just figure that into your max bid. Their shipping charges are very reasonable, and your first purchase will ship free. After that, it will only be a few bucks. Also searching and sorting on their site works nicely, as opposed to say stacks and bowers which is woefully lacking. Heritage is great for selection, but you are in the big leagues bidding their, with a lot more competition. GreatCollections appears to be the perfect size, big enough but not too big.

Read more here: http://www.greatcollections.com/kb/Auctions-Bidding-Buying-1-2.html

16. geekpryde

The OP is specifically asking about "graded" gold, and is not necessarily under the delusion that all fractional gold is TPG graded.

17. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

i'm not the only one who came to that conclusion. see above.

18. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

how do i order the 2001 and 2003 (remember, one of each) "1/20th oz gold maple leaf" directly from the Canadian mint? also, again, i am trying to put a perfect graded NGC set together. raw means i have to get it graded, and it probably isnt perfect....which defeats the purpose; and reiterates why i am looking, specifically, as stated in the original post, as well as title, for graded coins - for a graded set.

19. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

did you read the last sentence of the first paragraph of my OP? i mean, its black and white.

20. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Dueling pedantic gits.

21. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

i just wish there were accurate responses. my phone chirps everytime someone replies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.