Places a coin collector should visit in Italy?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dynwyrm, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Dynwyrm

Dynwyrm New Member

I'm getting married in about a week, then flying off to Italy for a honeymoon. Of course we're doing the standard touristy stuff - the Colosseum in Rome, the tower of Pisa, the canals of Venice, etc etc. But is there anywhere neat a coin collector should try to swing by?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Do you collect Roman coins ? Do you collect Pre-1861 Italian States coins ? or modern Italian coins ?

Stay away from the tourist rip-off souvenir shops. The coin collecting hobby is very strong in Italy and there are many legitimate coin shops that serve the Italian coin collecting community. Many of the larger cities will have these shops.

Right now the Dollar is strong and that's a good thing for you in Italy where they use Euros. Around $1.12 for one Euro, not too long ago it was $1.65 for one Euro.

Do you speak Italian ?

4. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

Try to pick up a Vatican Euro set. The proof sets are really nice. There is a shop outside the main entry to St. Peters Square that should have them.

Mickey in PDX likes this.
  5. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

Oh, and when searching, "coin shop" won't show many good results. You'll want to try "Numismatica". We had an awesome concierge at our hotel in Rome that wasn't sure what we were asking for, but researched for a bit and figured out the part that was getting lost in translation. We ended up in some small shops off the big tourist shopping districts. Kinda fun. :D

6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Congratulations, and have a great trip! But are you sure that you, and particularly your spouse, will want to "do" coins on your honeymoon? :)

The museum of the mint (IPZS) is currently closed as far a I know. But the Vatican has a Numismatic and Philatelic Museum which may be interesting: http://www.vaticanstate.va/content/.../il-nuovo-museo-filatelico-e-numismatico.html

The Money Museum of the Banca d'Italia has a fine collection but apparently you cannot simply walk in (appointment required): http://www.bancaditalia.it/servizi-...dex.html?com.dotmarketing.htmlpage.language=1

A coin is moneta (plural: monete) in Italian. But yes, using the term numismatica will help.

Christian

7. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

The Ferrari factory - nothing coin related, but they have lots of Ferraris!

charlietig and mcwyler like this.
  8. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Make sure you visit the Leaning tower of Piza. Also, in that same town go to the beach and stroll up and down the beach...you will eventually get to the nudist part of it and say hello to the locals!!!! :shame::shame::shame:

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Apart from Pisa (there is more than the tower ;) ) you could also visit Florence. I like the city, but it's not a place that can be done in one day ...

10. petronius

petronius Duke

Hi from Italy,

and many wishes for your marriage :D

The best museum for coins in Rome (maybe, in Italy), is the National Roman Museum - Palazzo Massimo alle Terme, near Termini station

http://archeoroma.beniculturali.it/en/museums/national-roman-museum-palazzo-massimo-alle-terme

You can find ancient coins (greek, romans) and medieval and modern coins from all ancient Italian States and Italian Kingdom, a small part of the big collection (around 110,000 pieces) of King Vittorio Emanuele III.

This is the museum page dedicated to coins, sorry it's not available in english

http://archeoroma.beniculturali.it/en/node/607

I confirm that the museum of the mint is closed, and it's quite impossible to visit the Bank of Italy museum: it need a well in advance booking (many weeks), and I think that it's reserved only for schools, scholars, and groups of collectors from official numismatic associations (I visited in 2010 as a member of a roman numismatic association, we were about 20 people).

I have no informations about coin museums in Pisa, but in Venice you can find coins and medals at Museo Correr, in St. Mark's Square

http://correr.visitmuve.it/en/home/

And from Venice, you can go to Padova (30/40 minutes by train) and visit the Museo Bottacin, with a small, but very nice, collection of coins

http://padovacultura.padovanet.it/it/musei/museo-bottacin

Regarding coin shops, what are you interested?

Maurizio :)

chrisild and serafino like this.
  11. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

It's not numismatic, but two not-to-be-missed things in Rome are the Pantheon and the Galleria Borghese. The latter is an art museum with the most amazing Bernini sculptures; also has paintings by Rubens, Titian, etc. Buy tickets in advance. A good hotel is Hotel Opera Roma, which is next to ... guess what. It's a nice hotel, reasonable prices, near central train station and subway. Favorite restaurant is Cuore di Napoli; good food, reasonable prices, near the central train station.

Cal

petronius likes this.
  12. ALAN DAVIS

ALAN DAVIS Old Sopemaker

Not so coin related but the tour of my life was Pompeii. Took a tour bus from Rome, 1 day tour. It was the trip of a lifetime if you enjoy this type of history.

serafino likes this.
  13. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Milan is the financial capital of Italy so I'm sure there are coin shops there. Also visit Lake Como and Cinqe Terra if you have the chance. Capri is nice too but stay out of Naples.

serafino likes this.
  14. serafino

If you collect 1700 to present Italian coins and go to a coin shop while you are in Italy make sure to buy a current copy of a coin catalog they use in Italy, called "GIGANTE 2016 CATALOGO NAZIONALE delle MONETE ITALIANE DAL'700 ALL'EURO. It's written in Italian but very well illustrated.

The cost is 20 euros and well worth it. It's a much better coin book/catalog than you will find here in the USA for Italian coins. I use mine all the time.

chrisild and petronius like this.
  15. serafino

Napoli is a "unique" city, the Tijuana of Italy :)

16. petronius

petronius Duke

In Milan, every Sunday morning (if doesn't rain), from 8 to 12 a.m., there is a coins and stamps market, called "Mercatino del Cordusio" or "Mercatino di via Armorari". It's near the Duomo. There are a lot of dealers that have coins of Italy, and from all the world, including US: I purchased some good Peace and Morgan dollars there ;)

petronius :cool:

serafino likes this.
  17. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Today I got a 2007 Norway 20 kroner from a seller in Italy.

18. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Here's the coin, bought off EBay.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted