Pius' Temple Coinage

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gary R. Wilson, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Gary R. Wilson

Gary R. Wilson ODERINT, DUM METUANT — CALIGULA

I just got another Antoninus Pius sestertius with the Temple of Divus Augustus reverse. Architectural reverses are my favorite theme. Pius seemed to take great pride in restoring, see coins like mine-the Temple of Divus Augustus and finishing others. See the Temple of Venus and Roma. Please post any architectural coins you would like.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-4Jtpz2tuIUsmv-removebg-preview.png

Antoninus Pius (Augustus)
    Coin: Brass Sestertius
    ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP TR P XXII - Laureate head right
    TEMPLVM DIV AVG REST SC - Cult images of Divus Augustus and Diva Livia within octastyle temple set on podium of four steps; figure of Divus Augustus between two reclining figures on pediment, quadriga at top of roofline, acroteria (Romulus on left, Aeneas bearing Anchises on right
    Exergue: COSIIII

Mint: Rome (158-159 AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 27.20g / 32mm / 6h
    References:
    RIC III 1004
    Banti 406
    Strack 1167
    Cohen 805
    BMCRE 2063
    Acquisition/Sale: worthashot101 eBay $0.00 04/20
    Notes: Apr 23, 20 - The Gary R. Wilson Collection

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Nice one Gary, you can pick up some nice coins on Ebay if you look around through all the rubble. Mine was also Ebay at a good price. Augustus temple (800x387).jpg
    Antoninus Pius Sestertius temple of Augustus and Livia
    Catalog: Temple of Divus Augustus
    weight 28,6gr. | bronze Ø 32mm.
    obv. Laureate head right ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP TR P XXII
    rev. Octastyle temple of Divus Augustus, containing cult-statues of Augustus
    and Livia TEMPLVM DIVI AVG REST COS IIII S C

4. Ancient Aussie

For some reason the celator's of this coin type did a below average rendition of this coin type in Dupondius, I see a lot like mine below with the columns unevenly spaced. 2015-01-07 01.08.08-9.jpg
    Antoninus Pius. AD 138-161. Æ Dupondius (27mm, 10.58 g, 11h). Rome mint. Struck AD 159. Radiate head right / TEMPLVM DIV AVG REST, octastyle temple within which are the seated figures of Divus Augustus and Livia. RIC III 1017. VF, dark brown surfaces with touches of green, some pitting and minor smoothing.

But a whole different story on the Denarius one of my favorite coins for detail on a small surface.
    2015-01-07 01.07.44-7.jpeg
    Antoninus Pius AR Denarius, 17mm, 2.86g, RIC 143

5. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Great coins everyone, here's my denarius similar to @Ancient Aussie 's above... although looking the two photos, I'm noticing now that the obverse legends are different but we both have RIC 143 referenced... I'll have to go look to see if I'm wrong on mine.
    AntoninusPiusRIC143.JPG

Edit: After a quick look at Wildwinds... I think @Ancient Aussie, your coin is RIC 290, rather than 143 with the obverse legend: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP TR P XXII

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  6. Ancient Aussie

Thanks, your right. I haven't checked that attribution since purchasing, just did then the dealer I bought from has it down as 143 and with your obverse legend. I think your type is the scarcer of the two.

7. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Lovely sestertius @Gary R. Wilson. I have a similiar reverse, but on a denarius.
    20.4.png

8. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

AntPiusTemple2.jpg
    Antoninus Pius. 138-161 AD. AR Denarius (17mm; 3.09 gm; 6h). Rome. Obv: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P. Bare head right, drapery on left shoulder. Rev: TEMPLVM DIV AVG REST, in ex: COS IIII. Octastyle temple, in which are seated two figures (Divus Augustus and Livia). Temple surmounted by quadriga; figures in pediment; Victories (?) (Romulus and Anchises?) on angles; statue at each corner in front of the columns there. Further, two statues appear at ground level in front of the four columns on each side. RIC 143 var. (laureate head). RSC 809a, except this coin has drapery on left shoulder, and possible drapery on right shoulder. RIC and RSC do not have an obverse with this legend and "draped." Standard references do not cite the four statues described above, though their images show them.

9. Ancient Aussie

Temple of Venus and Roma through time from Antoninus Pius........ Temple_of_Roma_-_Copy-removebg-preview.png Philip 1 2015-01-07 01.07.48-7.jpg Probus. 217020 (3).jpg Maximianus I. Herculius Temple_Roma5-removebg-preview.png Maxentius
    01381q00.jpg

10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

He issued coins for the temple to his deified wife, Faustina I. There are three issues:

These two were issued for the dedication of the temple in AD 143.

The first bears the inscription, DEDICATIO AEDIS ("the dedication of the temple"). It comes in two bust types, one bare-headed and another with a veiled bust, known from only a handful of examples: the Paris specimen cited by Cohen and Strack, and an example in a private collection cited by Temeryazev & Makarenko. An example in the British Museum (1937,0708.26) with a veiled bust wearing a stephane is considered to be an ancient forgery made of base metal. My example is, of course, the bare-headed version:

[​IMG]
    Faustina I, AD 138-141.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.44 g, 18.7 mm, 7 h.
    Rome, AD 143.
    Obv: DIVA AVG FAVSTINA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: DEDICATIO AEDIS, hexastyle temple on stepped podium, above, a quadriga, Victories as acroteria.
    Refs: RIC 388; BMCRE 306; Cohen 191; Strack 426; RCV 4596; UCR 434; CRE 127.

The second type, also issued in AD 143 for the dedication of the temple, bears the reverse inscription PIETAS AVG (BMCRE 319-321) or PIETAS AVGVSTI (BMCRE 322-323). The former is also known with a veiled bust from the collection in Vienna and cited by Strack (432). I only have the PIETAS AVG version with the bare-headed bust type:

[​IMG]
    Faustina I, AD 138-141.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.55 g, 17.4 mm, 7 h.
    Rome, AD 143.
    Obv: DIVA AVG FAVSTINA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: PIETAS AVG, hexastyle temple on stepped podium, above, a quadriga, Victories as acroteria.
    Refs: RIC 396; BMCRE 319-21; Cohen 253; Strack 432; RCV 4599; UCR 435; CRE 129.

This one, issued in AD 150 for the 10th anniversary of the empress's death, reads AED DIV FAVSTINAE, "The Temple of Diva Faustina."

[​IMG]
    Faustina Senior, Augusta AD 138-141.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.27 g, 17.5 mm, 5 h.
    Rome under Antoninus Pius, AD 150.
    Obv: DIVA FAVSTINA, draped bust right.
    Rev: AED DIV FAVSTINAE, hexastyle temple on podium; statues to right and left and seated figure of Faustina in center; statues of Victory at corners of pediment.
    Refs: RIC 343; BMCRE 341; Cohen 1; RCV 4573; CRE 126.

11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

The reverse on the last coin you posted @Roman Collector put me in the mind of one of the tobacco barns back home (minus the roof decorations)

12. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

A denarius and sestertius of Faustina I:

Faustina I - Den. Temple of Ant. & Faustina Aug 2018.jpg

Faustina I - Sest Temple Feb 19 (0).jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted