Pius and Caracalla (and photography)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by IMP Shogun, Jan 10, 2021.

1. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

Evening,

Below is a solid sestertius from Antoninus Pius and a silver coin from Caracalla.

[​IMG]

Antoninus Pius sestertius struck in Rome after 145
    ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P
    COS IIII SC
    Roma seated left, holding Victory and transverse spear, resting elbow on shield decorated with head of Medusa which is set on prow to right; SC in exergue
    30mm 25.5g
    RIC III 759

[​IMG]
    Caracalla 211–217 A.D. struck 216 A.D. in Rome.
    ANTONINVS PIVS AVG GERM
    P M TR P XVIIII COS IIII P P
    Serapis, wearing polos on head, standing facing, head to left, raising right hand and holding scepter
    22mm 4.9g
    RIC IV 280d

I hope you like these, I consider them solid coins in my collection because they look great, cover a part of my collection I view as important and did not cost a lot for their condition (and importance to me!)

If you are here for the coins and not photography -- Please post your solid coins and feel free to ignore the below!

I am finding it very difficult to get sharp pictures, these look great until you blow them up and then at times look worse than what I'd do on a point and shoot.

These are taken on a kit lens at 55mm on a Rebel T6 body. Manual settings are F/11, 100 ISO and I took it using several exposure settings (these were 1/8sec for Pius and 1/13th for Caracalla) on a copy stand with a remote trigger (my Ipad).

I'm thinking it's the lighting or I'm ready to upgrade the kit lens. As for the lighting perhaps it's not bright enough but when I don't diffuse my lights it looks to bright on the coin.

For the Pius sestertius, if I could have a sharper image you can make out more detail on the reverse shield portrait and the Caracalla portrait looks out of focus when doing the same.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice coins and imagery IMHO. There are those on this forum who are great photographers and are willing to share their knowledge here; however, I've tried just about everything, and my images never get any better. I've given up trying and now use my smart phone for imagery. Besides, I'm in this hobby for the numismatics!
    Antonius Pius 2.jpg
    ANTONIUS PIUS
    AE Sestertius
    OBVERSE: IDIVVS ANTONINVS, bare head right
    REVERSE: CONSECRATIO, four tiered funeral pyre surmounted by Antoninus in a quadriga, SC in ex.
    Struck at Rome 161 AD
    25g, 31mm
    RIC 1266 (Marcus Aurelius), BMC 880 (Marcus Aurelius), C 354
    Caracalla 4.jpg
    CARACALLA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT, laureate head right
    REVERSE: MONETA AVG, Moneta standing left, holding scales & cornucopiae
    Struck at Rome, 211 AD
    2.28g, 19mm
    RIC 224

4. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Is the depth of field too narrow?

Yep. I'm in the same boat. For now, I've decided that this is about as good as I'm going to get:
    temp.jpg
    Antoninus Pius
    Silver Denarius
    Rome mint, A.D. 153-154
    Obv: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS TR P XVII
    Rev: COS IIII - Annonia, standing, facing left, holding corn ears in right hand and resting left hand on modius sitting on front of ship
    RIC 231
    18mm, 3.7g.

temp2.jpg
    Antoninus "Caracalla"
    Silver Denarius
    Rome mint, A.D. 213
    Obv: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT
    Rev: P M TR P XVI COS IIII P P - Serapis, togate, wearing polos on head, standing, facing left, raising right hand and holding transverse scepter in left
    RIC 208(a)
    19mm, 3.1g.

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Glad to know I'm not alone!
    [​IMG]

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

f/11 is on the border of diffraction limitations for a crop sensor camera so I might try backing off to f/8 and see if that helps. dSLR cameras can have calibration issues with focus displayed on the screen and focus delivered to the sensor. One way to 'fix' that would be to do focus bracketing of 3-4 images and see if you can find an offset that would help. Traditional wisdom suggests that ISO 100 is best but the way some cameras achieve that number varies so I might also try shooting at 200 or 400 to see what difference is actual. I use ISO 400 with my mirrorless RP because I prefer the tonal rendition there. The kit lens on the T6 is not at its best at the extremes so you might also try using something like 45mm and see if that helps. I have never owned a T6 but had good results with the original Digital Rebel before I bought a macro. If you have a telephoto, you might try using something in its middle range (~90mm) an see if that helps. Of course this is not good if the lens you have is not good. There is a lot of variation in some of the cheaper models.

7. JulesUK

JulesUK Well-Known Member

I am still experimenting almost every day with my dSLR photo setup but have found the better pictures I get are with an AV setting of f/7-8, ISO 400 which seems to cope best without getting grainy and I use evaluative metering. I Always use a tripod and remote to avoid camera shake as well.
    Saying all that, I believe we are our own harshest critics but the best advice I have picked up is to treat every coin/subject as individual and not apply the same settings to all.
    And then there is the issue of light and direction and subsequent influence of it on your shot.
    Not enough hours in the day!

dltsrq, PeteB, dougsmit and 2 others like this.
  8. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Question for both Doug and Jules: what resolution do you use for your finished photos? I shoot everything at 300 dpi, but since I don't print anything out, I save the final photo as a 72 dpi jpeg. Is there any point at saving it at 300 dpi if all you will ever do is look at the photo via a monitor?

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have no use for the concept of dpi which I consider a matter for book printers who are trying to print coins in exact size. I shoot each side at full resolution .cr3 and resize the combined pair to 1620x1080 .jpg for use on CT.

dltsrq and JulesUK like this.
  10. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I use a 12” wide x 6” tall background at 300ppi and then place the photos side by side. This means I usually have to reduce the size of larger coins but not the smaller type coins I photograph such as obols which fit the background well. I figure that is a good file size and type whether I want to print or stay digital. Works for me!

Nice coins @IMP Shogun . Here are my favorite A-Pi and Caracalla coins.
    ECB83755-2FA1-4F7B-8A28-D331A7D54F01.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Antoninus Pius, AD 138-161
    AR Denarius, Rome mint, Struck ca. AD 140-143
    Wt.: 3.01 g
    Dia.: 17 mm, 6h
    Obv.: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP TR P COS III; Laureate head right
    Rev.: AEQVITAS AVG; Aequitas standing left, holding scales and sceptre
    Ref.: RIC III 61; RSC 14

F0F2031B-5646-43F0-9AA9-D8291667AACF.jpeg
    Galatia, Ancyra
    Caracalla (AD 198-217)
    AE Tetrassarion, Ancyra mint, struck after AD 212
    Dia.: 28 mm
    Wt.: 16.59 g
    Obv.: ANTΩNINOC AYΓOYCTO-C; Laureate head of Caracalla right
    Rev.: MHTPOΠOΛEΩC ANKYPAC •; Octastyle temple with shield in pediment
    Ref.: BMC 33 var
    Ex Lanz 163, 7 December 2016, 378

11. IMP Shogun

Very nice coins, thanks for sharing.

I do shoot a range of settgin
    I'm not too far away from taking the plateau as a stopping point with time being the big limitation. Can't make more of it!

JulesUK likes this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I start with a blank of 9999x6666 pixels which gets cropped for every shot but insures that images are only resized once when everything is done. I guess I figure that you lose quality every time you do anything so it is better to do it all at once. 12" @300 ppi is 3600 pixels. My camera shoots 6255x4160 so every shot would have to be downsized before starting. I make no effort to shoot all images from one height so the picture of an obol and the picture of an obol can be close to the same size on the sensor. I realize this will not make my images useable for exact size printing but that is something I never do and it seems better to get as much detail on each one from the start and throw out excess as needed. In truth, it makes no difference when you consider that you are still over 300 dpi at 20". I have never made over a 20x30 print but, although under 300dpi, look good to me. In any event, none of my coins have the detail to be shown that large without revealing their shortcomings.
    Whole image resized to fit here:
    Untitled-2.jpg

The part of the image that fits in this same 1620x1080 format:
    Untitled-1.jpg

The above is not perfectly sharp due to camera, lens, coin and operator. There is nothing to do for that last one.

13. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I’ve seen you post your set up before and I think it looks nice. I like the idea of using a wood camera holder to reduce vibration and suspending the coin above a dark background. I am sure this makes it much easier to crop!

My set up is metal and I know I sometimes get issues with vibration. I may construct a wood set up at some point to test. I also shoot against a simulated 18% gray background. This might be useful for color correction if I did post-processing with the RAW files but honestly I usually don’t even take the time to mess with that and just use the jpg files directly.

I should also clarify since I was unclear in my initial post that I shoot the initial images in full resolution and only downsize to the 12x6 in post processing. I use guides with the software I use to make sure the photos are scaled properly. I haven’t checked but I think my unreduced initial shots are probably similarly sized to yours before I crop and move the coin to the 12x6 background. Then I save only the 12x6 post-processed shots and delete the initial photo.

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That is a question I struggle with. At first I didn't delete the RAW files but saved them along with the final paired JPG and reduced (CT friendly) JPG deleting only the 16 bit TIF intermediate which can be remade from the RAW. Now I save space by deleting the RAW files on the theory I could reshoot the coins if I decided the JPG's were not right. The fact is that 95% of all coins I shoot will never be revisited in that full size so I could drop back to saving only the reduced JPG's and lose little. my 1620x1080 reductions make decent 4x6 prints but I rarely ever print anything anymore and wonder what to do with hundreds of 4x6 prints made in the past.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Curtisimo likes this.
  15. IMP Shogun

I appreciate the feedback. My photography skills have improved quite a bit but it feels like golf, lots of improvement initially but frustratingly difficult to get really good at it. Or this is helping me train my patience to stay positive!

Here is an Augustus As at F/8, F/11 and F/14. All with ISO 100. I don't really see a significant difference between F/8 (on the left) and F/11 (in the middle). F/14 (right image) does look a bit less sharp than the others.

[​IMG]

However, I did notice a difference when setting up these JPEGs from the original pics. I had previously been resizing each photo before making the JPEG and that may have been reducing the sharpness (based on the above convo's). These are made directly from the original image without re-sizing. I hadn't thought that it could be that, but it may be contributing.

Here is the full coin I've nicknamed cauliflower ear for reference in the "keeper" shot out of the bunch:

[​IMG]

Augustus As struck 7 B.C. in Rome
    [CAESAR AVG]VST PONT MAX TRIBVN[IC POT]
    M MAE[CILIVS TVLLVS III] VIR A A A F F
    Legend around large S C
    28.5mm 11.75g
    RIC I 436

One of my older coins I retook using my improved setup/skillset and it looks great at f/8 (to me anyway!):

[​IMG]
    Gordian III ant, Jupiter struck 238-239 in Rome
    Radiate, draped bust right
    IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG
    IOVIS STATOR
    Jupiter standing front, head right, with scepter & thunderbolt.
    RIC 85; C. 115

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Both nice coins! and great photos.

17. Amit Vyas

Amit Vyas Well-Known Member

These are great results with the kit lens!
    While it won't match a top-end dedicated Macro lens in terms of image quality, I have found Canon's entry-level EF-S 24mm f/2.8 to be quite decent for coin photography. It has the added advantage of being extremely lightweight and compact; quite versatile too.

Draft saved Draft deleted