"Pirate Era" coin - Need your opinion with grading!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Xodus, May 8, 2020.

1. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

Hey guys - So, this is what threw me off. Check out this ruddy coin, it got "VF Details"...

What I'm trying to figure out is that if THAT is NGC VF, what is my coin? Your opinions are appreciated.

1601 Spain 4 Maravedis, Philip III, KM#11.3 Countermark in the middle that made a large indention

IMG_20200508_193924546.jpg IMG_20200508_193905330.jpg

Seattlite86 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

For a coin like that, I would normally say vf details. But after looking at the other one, I would say that this one is XF40

Xodus likes this.
  4. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

GH#75 likes this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I understand why you're confused, and given what NGC has done with those 2 coins you should be. Anybody would be ! So what do ya do ?

Well first of all, forget what NGC has done because whoever decided those 2 coins deserved VF details and XF details is - up in the night - to say the least ! The first coin is G details in a very optimistic world, but personally I'd put it at AG details. The 2nd NGC coin, I'd say is VG details.

Now those who want can argue my opinion of the grades but if you look up what those coins are "supposed" to look like, well it becomes harder to argue.

Your coin, to start with is a details coin because of the heavy corrosion, that much is a given. The coin is well rounded, most of the legends are not only easily readable but nearly bold. Most of the design, other than what has been obliterated by the countermark both obv and rev, is easily visible. But there's no doubting that it has very significant wear. Given all of that I'd say the details remaining are high F or low VF.

Xodus likes this.
  6. cobstreasure

cobstreasure New Member

I agree with you, I would say third party grading is not necessary for this kind of coins or like silver cobs which were made by hand and hammer. They all have different shapes and were struck differently. In my opinion, I will also say that 1601 4 maravedis is a F-VF.

Xodus likes this.
  7. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

Thank you guys so much, I really appreciate your honest help with this!

Draft saved Draft deleted