Ping-pong Inspiration; Antioch Coinage

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Justin Lee, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Fantastic presentation of some very nice coins! I think Deacon Ray would be proud of you.

ominus1, Deacon Ray and Justin Lee like this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

7. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

:wideyed::woot::jawdrop: Your poster is SUPERB, @Justin Lee ! You have excellent design and graphics skills. Without a doubt, you've raised the bar! Excellent work, my friend!

Sorry, I almost forgot—Beautiful coins!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    ominus1 likes this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I missed the purpose of these displays. Such posters printed out to 20x30" could be posted in a school, church or coin show to draw attention to our subject. Online, the combined images make the coins themselves harder to see because of size. I know they are fun to make. What is the next step?

TIF, Deacon Ray and Jwt708 like this.
  9. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Now that is AWESOME! I think that the next step would be dealers using graphics like this to draw in more people to the Dark Side. ;)

RAGNAROK and Deacon Ray like this.
  10. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

That is a great presentation! I really like the two coins of Hadrian, and the bottom two coin of Elagabalus.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  11. Deacon Ray

That's a great question. They're definitely fun to create and I think the fun of creation is the major driving force for me. More often than not I'm thinking about the next one before I've finished the one I'm working on. I've emailed digital copies of my 30 x 40 inch Judaean poster to the dealers who supplied most of the coins and a couple of them have requested printed copies to show their coin clubs. I can have Staples print a couple of copies so I can see how it looks. One of the problems is exactly what you mentioned in a previous post about how we keep wanting to improve a particular collection by adding one more coin. There's always just one more. I agree that some of the coins are difficult to see online. That gives me an idea! :singing:

Thanks, Doug!

12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I love these posters. Perhaps it would be best to show the posters but to also post full-sized images of each coin. Best of both worlds :)

Looking forward to seeing what your creative brain has cooked up this time :)

ominus1, dougsmit and Deacon Ray like this.
  13. Justin Lee

dougsmit and TIF like this.
  14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Your in-hand images are very nicely done! Great focus, well lit, all turned correctly, centered and cropped similarly, obverse and reverse joined, and displayed as full-size in the thread. Bravo! Those are the best in-hand images on CoinTalk :)

ominus1 and Justin Lee like this.
  15. Justin Lee

Thanks, @TIF! That means a lot to me! I've grown to like my in-hand approach. I mean I "could" cut out my coins and place on a neutral background of black, white, or deep blue (all stunning, Btw), but alas, I'm just too lazy to do that for every coin... UNLESS it is in tandem with something like the above. ;)

And I appreciate everyone's nice words about the presentation above and all the support! You all blow me away! <3!!!

Theodosius likes this.
  16. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Are coins from Antioch considered to be Turkish coins for the purposes of the UN protocols on the exportation of cultural heritage artifacts? If so, does that affect their export, transportation or possession outside Turkey?

17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I'm with Doug. The posters look great but it makes it harder to see the coin and the image becomes less about the coin. Don't let me bring you down, enjoy your hobby however!

Deacon Ray likes this.
  18. Deacon Ray

Thank you, TIF! Your kind words fuel my creative drive to produce another 20 posters :artist:

Curtisimo and ominus1 like this.
  19. Deacon Ray

Not at all, Sir! I appreciate your feedback and I'm working on a solution. Thank you, @Jwt708 !

Justin Lee likes this.
  20. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Really great stuff @Justin Lee - what do you guys use to put this stuff together, Photoshop? Neat coins, too.

Justin Lee and Deacon Ray like this.
  21. Deacon Ray

Hi @ancient coin hunter — I'm not certain about Justin's program of choice but I use Adobe InDesign® on a Macintosh computer.

Draft saved Draft deleted