Pile of Fakes - What to Do?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by frankjg, Jan 26, 2020.

1. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Preface - I didn't take a picture so don't ask

Wife and I were walking around a few local antique shops today and I stopped by one of the dealers who typically has some coins (pile of world coins, Buffs, IHCs, etc..), nothing special but something to pick through.

I was really dismayed to see he replaced his inventory with a huge pile of Chinese fakes.. real Ali-baba garbage. A bunch of fake Trade Dollars, Morgans, and foreign stuff. None of them had copy or any marks ID'ing them as being fakes. He had written on the 2x2 "restrike".

It's one of those co-op antique places so I couldn't speak with the guy and tell him he really shouldn't be selling them since he was not on-site.

I'm thinking of going directly to the local Secret Service office and letting them know.

Thoughts? I really don't want those things escaping into the wild.

ripple likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Ya mean like a consignment shop? If so, I'd contact the owner of the shop and convey to him/her your concerns. If the guy is selling 'fakes' he needs to be reeled in.......

4. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Fake coins ruin the hobby! He probably wasn't smart enough to tell when he got them, now he's trying to make someone else his... (insert vulgarity)

Sad to see people try to make a couple bucks on another's misery.

ripple likes this.
  5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Technically, Secret Service has jurisdiction. They won't do anything with this guy, however. He's too small fry.

I'd first try reporting him to the flea market owner.

Then, I'd see if he's a member of any professional organizations. I'd report him to every one.

ripple and Evan Saltis like this.
  6. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Try and get pics for us next time you end up there! (if you plan on going back)

7. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I attended a large coin show a few years back and there was a seller there that had a wide variety of fakes similar to the ones you explained. I brought it to the attention of the person running the show and the next day went back and the guy and his fakes were still there.

ripple and Evan Saltis like this.
  8. frankjg

I’m going to with this approach and call the shop tomorrow. I don’t normally like to get into people’s business but this is not cool.

green18 and Evan Saltis like this.
  9. green18

Unless this guy advertises these coins as reproductions (re-strikes in this case is pure deception) it is utmost that he be 'curbed'.

ripple likes this.
  10. frankjg

Yup, he’s just calling them restrikes.

green18 likes this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The Secret Service is a waste of time. They don't care about coins. It's all they can do to keep up with fake paper money.

ripple likes this.
  12. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Honestly, fake current $100 bills circulating are far more of a timely concern than fake collector coins from "100 years" ago that no longer circulate. I can understand their priority.

Perhaps counterfeit classic coins are technically under the purview of the Secret Service, but I totally understand their emphasis on "contemporary counterfeits" of modern circulating currency.

13. green18

Then perhaps we could get the local cops to intervene. Obvious misconception mischief is afoot.....

14. frankjg

Unfortunately the local police force was just reduced by 40% due to budget cuts, they can’t keep up with the shootings and gang violence. I doubt they will give a damn about this.

15. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

To be honest, this seller probably can — and would — give you the middle finger if you confront him about it, perhaps with spicy references to your relatives.

Joe2007 likes this.
  16. Joe2007

Joe2007 Well-Known Member

I agree approaching the vendor isn't likely to provide results since they are likely making a considerable profit from this endeavor. I'd contact the co-op owner and arrange to speak to them in person stressing how this vendor delegitimizes the other items sold in their shop and it's reputation in the community and that the ethical solution would be to remove the items from sale and sanction the vendor. If the co-op owner/management doesn't want to play ball then I'd write some carefully worded reviews online on their store documenting your experience. The secret service, local law enforcement, and better business bureau are going to do nothing about this issue and it is rampant in flea markets and antique malls across the nation.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  17. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

This was where my thoughts are too. I have long believed the pen is mightier than the sword. Back in my day I would write a letter to the editor where it would be written for all to see in the editorial section of the newspaper. I don’t know what the modern digital version of this would be. But I would sure make it my business to get the word out somehow.

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It's a bit of a bluff, but when you speak to the Co-Op owner, make sure you point out that selling fakes that aren't marked COPY is illegal, and that people who aid or facilitate others in violating the law (as in providing a location for them to sell them) are also liable under the law.

It's a bluff because you would have to get someone to press charges and get law enforcement to pay attention, but if he thinks that charges could be filled against HIM as well, he might do something about it.

19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

About all you can do is let the shop owner know. The rest is out of your hands.

Draft saved Draft deleted