Picture taking and lighting advice

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AirborneReams, Oct 11, 2020.

1. AirborneReams

AirborneReams Supporter! Supporter

Hello all,

I had made a purchase of an indian head which I am to believe is a red and if not a red-brown color. The issue is I took some pictures and after realizing they looked nothing like the sellers I was a bit shocked. I did only take these pictures very quickly with no basic editing or playing with my overhead light I use. My light has three settings. 1st is a white light the 2nd is another light similar to white but dimmer and the 3rd is almost a yellow. I know a lot of these cats have DSLRs with fancy lenses but I don’t and won’t for some time. I have my iPhone 11 and macro lense attachment and light source that is attached to neck the bends how you want. My if you look at both pictures you notice it instantly how much more appealing his is and how dull and lame mine are. The coin definitely looks more like his pictures in hand as well so it kind of shocked me my pictures aren’t anywhere near close. Can anyone give me some tips/advice on how to get that lighting or what to do to make these pictures pop a bit more. And I would never use the ones I took for my auction listings but I’m sure the color would be similar. I’m open to purchase some basic items as long as it’s budget friendly. Thank you in advance! F3D2526A-8462-4620-9180-76752E1B776E.jpeg 7856B26F-0BB0-4FD6-BBB1-F953B5AF5295.jpeg 0591C085-A396-43BF-A795-F5EFFAEEE2D1.jpeg 02565BA0-A9D6-4349-AC12-765B2E8DCD26.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Personally, I think they look great, compared to the pics I've taken. lol

AirborneReams likes this.
  4. AirborneReams

Well thank you that honestly means a lot! I’m no photographer or ever attempted it until now and every day I’m learning small new tricks! It’s just his coins bright red color looks like the coin in hand where my pictures kind of look like a dull bronze fat froM in hand look..

5. AirborneReams

I was also recommended not to get this graded but if it graded as a red and atleast 64 it would be PCGS rated at 950! I only know a little when it comes to grading the indian cents but once it gets passed about a 60-61 I can’t tell the minor differences yet

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Your white balance (on your camera) is out of wack. This sort of thing can be corrected with post processing software.

indian.jpeg

7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Why is it Green now ?

8. AirborneReams

Wow very nice! Sadly all I have is my iphone 11 at this time but it does have a better camera then most of the lower end cameras.. I wonder if I’m using it to close to the light source possibly? What did you edit within this software, the warmth possibly?
    Thank you!

9. green18

Also too....ya want it graded? Buy it graded. There's areason why the guy who sold you this coin didn't do so.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  10. green18

Saturation and hue.

11. AirborneReams

From the pictures can you see why he may have not gotten it graded? Seems higher grade and has not been cleaned or anything like that. Just wondering, only have had two coins graded and I was somewhat pleased with the outcome. Open to all suggestions though.

12. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

In the camera settings on your i-phone should be adjustment levels for ISO, white balance, normal or macro, what type of light you are shooting in etc.

13. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the same thing, looks cast to me.

14. AirborneReams

Is that right? Weight and diameter is all in check. The only reason I don’t want to get it graded as same for all my other coins I try to get them out as soon as possible so I can bring more in takes way to long. Sent two coins out on early bird special for NGC which is a 12 day turn around been over two months

Draft saved Draft deleted