Featured Picture repost: my "Twelve Caesars" Roman collection from 2011-2013

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, May 24, 2017.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

First time posting it here but this reflects the new Otho Tetradrachm I recently got.

clickable

[​IMG]

Ryro, Andres2, Topcat7 and 11 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

Lordmarcovan: I especially like your Otho portrait. Expressive. He looks sedately confident, in a reflective pose. Meanwhile, not uncharacteristically, Vespy and Titus look ticked off!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. AngelDeath

AngelDeath Well-Known Member

This is not finished..Going for color in this piece!I have the Otho just have to put it where Nerva is. IMG_3641.JPG IMG_3642 (1).JPG IMG_3643 (1).JPG IMG_3647.JPG

Limes, octavius, Ryro and 14 others like this.
  5. AngelDeath

AngelDeath Well-Known Member

It is truly amazing,Gorgeous, with all those ancients side by side WONDROUS without leaving home!

Nathan401 and lordmarcovan like this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Seutonius Twelve PLUS:

I like to add VINDEX since he started the Civil War against Nero that stopped the Julio-Claudian Dynasty. The Irony is that his name was Gaius Julius Vindex and he was of Gallic Nobility... named after the guy who conquered Gaul...

Seutonius 12 - 12 Caesars PLUS Vindex.jpg

octavius, Ryro, Andres2 and 12 others like this.
  7. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Wow that is a awesome collection thanks for sharing.
    Dave

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Nice collections everyone. I put this one together because of the different styles, sizes and metal and thought it made for a good mix. It was difficult picking which coins to include, but I thought it should have Antony since he's related to most of the Emperors even more closely than Octavian.

Antony___the_Caesars.jpg

octavius, Ryro, Andres2 and 9 others like this.
  9. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

amazing Domitian

lordmarcovan and Jay GT4 like this.
  10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Funny how this thread languished when I originally posted it nearly a year ago, but has seen so much activity since @SorenCoins resuscitated it Saturday.

It even just became my third Featured thread, at the hands of no less than the mythical mighty Wizard of Oz Peter T Davis himself, who anointed three Features yesterday.

Happy surprises all around.

SorenCoins likes this.
  11. Dennow

Dennow Member

Very attractive (and reasonable!) set! Glad most have subsequently found happy homes among the Cointalk brethren.

I, too, had started a set of the Twelve Caesars denarii, managing to obtain three (Vitellius, Vespasian and Domitian) before I was sidetracked with building a Japan type set. They’re still in the Abafil, awaiting an extended stay from the relatives.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. Rod Vosburgh

Rod Vosburgh Ad Triarios Redisse

First of my 12 Caesars....always wanted one and finally got it...[​IMG]
    Caligula, Galba, Vespasian, and Domitian already on board...Vitellius is coming...

lordmarcovan, Limes, octavius and 9 others like this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

VERY nice @Rod Vosburgh ... even the bankers mark flows with the elephant. The other bankers marks give it great character!

My Elephant was having a bad day... he really made a mess! (Copper deposits on surface) :D

RR Caesar AR Denarius 49 BCE Traveling Mint Elephant-Pontificates Sear 1399 Craw 443-1.jpg
    RR Caesar AR Denarius 49 BCE Traveling Mint Elephant-Pontificates Sear 1399 Craw 443-1

lordmarcovan, Ryro, Jay GT4 and 5 others like this.
  14. Rod Vosburgh

Rod Vosburgh Ad Triarios Redisse

Still a beauty

lordmarcovan and Alegandron like this.
  15. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Some GREAT looking coins in these collections.

My (inexpensive) 12 Caesars (Portrait) Collection (clickable)
    Magical Snap - 2017.09.07 09.16 - 004.jpg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  16. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

I haven't changed it since the last time we ran one of these, but I don't mind showing it again since it is one of the few that is all imperial silver, if you can count the Caligula drachm minted in Rome as "imperial." 12Caesars-tray.jpg

17. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

I recently updated my Twelve Caesars sub-collection with a nicer Galba, and just now with a nicer Caligula. I had to share somewhere. :)

Attached Files:

18. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I have kicked around the idea of collecting the 12 Caesars, but I'm fussy about grades. The rare ones are really expensive. Here's my Nero denarius.

Nero O.jpg Nero R.jpg

Jay GT4, Limes, Alegandron and 6 others like this.
  19. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Nice coin you got there.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Thank you @SorenCoins!

I bought that piece at the Sumer FUN show last year.

Here is another one Denarius of Vespasian. Vespasian O.jpg Vespasian R.jpg

21. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

I just purchased the 3rd Caesar for my set. I got what I think is a pretty good deal on a Domitian AR Denarius on eBay. I was able to attribute it to RIC 271 based on the sellers pics. So it was minted while Titus was ruler-- kinda interesting. Should be coming in the mail soon! Other than that I have a Vespasian AR Denarius and a Claudius AE As; so the set's getting there!

Happy collecting ;)

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted