Pickups from Baltimore - Hobo Nickel and a Ducat

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by furryfrog02, Mar 2, 2019.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

My son and I didn't manage to make it up to the show until after 12 today. We started off at the Kids Corner and he got to grab a handful of fun stuff. He has yet to sort through that though.

We then went over to our Ancients dealer and picked up a few new pieces which I will post in the anceints section after a bit. We then walked over to the US Mint booth and looked at all the new stuff. We exchanged a couple bills for the new 2019 Lowell quarters and did a survey there and got a new American Innovation series dollar and a reusable Reagan dollar tote, which will probably never be used...

After that we went on the hunt for a Hobo Nickel. He has been wanting one for several months. We could only find 1 and that was out of his price range by quite a bit at 300 dollars. But he was determined to find one and eventually he found one that was 60 and the lady selling dropped it to 50 for him. Obviously he jumped at it.

The other thing I was looking for was a new gold coin. Most of the tables that had gold were selling for quite a bit over spot even for world bullion pieces. I managed to find one table though who was selling Austrian Ducats for a decent price. I picked one up for just 2 dollars over melt so I am happy.

And now finally, the pictures:
    Dateless Hobo Nickel. Hobo Nickel.jpg
    1915 Austria 1 Ducat
    1915 Austria 1 Ducat.jpg

ken454, Paddy54, gronnh20 and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

Collecting Nut likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Glad you had a great time at the show with you son. Nice looking Hobo nickel. Bet he's happy with that.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

That Hobo looks to be a ddr maybe...look at the Five Cents sure looks like a ddr to my eyes. Perhaps you can log onto variety vista and search P mint known ddr and by process of elimination you can find the date that way.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Yeah I just looked through variety vista. I didn't see anything that was an immediate match. Could just be wear on the coin I'm thinking?

8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Well in hand one for sure tell, as images do lie..nothing beats a try but a failure...oh well

furryfrog02 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted