Picked Up a Super Greek Vase!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Theodosius, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Pretty sure this is legit ancient Greek. The thrift store person who sold it to me said it had the correct blue ware glazing. Pretty cool scene with some bystander in a "swimming toga" high fiving two charioteers.

zoom.jpg

This was all of $10. Now the pride of my collection. :)

Go ahead and post something appropriate to this thread!

*cringe*

John

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Jim Beam...since 1795...:)

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  4. Theodosius

I told you it was super old!

:)

randygeki and Kentucky like this.
  5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth

6. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

my Greek coins are low end and my Greek vase is also quite common..

ouzo.jpeg

7. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Nice blue Greek bottle.
    My oldest bottle is a Mountain Dew from the early 1960's.
    20180729_223157.jpg
    With a Mason's Strawberry Soda cap.
    20180729_223219.jpg

I can see several floaters in the bottle. I think the saying on the "reverse" is true.
    20180729_224519.jpg

8. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Shopkeeper told me it has an original patina,came probably from the same place as Theodosius vase ?
    P1220042.JPG

9. Theodosius

Nice!

There must be more of these relics out there.

John

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  10. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Whenever I'm having a bad day, I gaze at this "ancient" Greek artwork hanging by my front door. No matter how bad the day, it probably isn't going to be as bad as the day Actaeon the Hunter glimpsed Artemis bathing - she turned his own dogs against him. And, according to this "ancient" Greek ceramic, she apparently shot him full of arrows to boot. I know this is authentic and Greek because it is signed on the back. Provenance: Indiana Salvation Army Store.

Rare Treasures (4).JPG

Rare Treasures (7).JPG

P.S. Consulting Wikipedia for this post, I was delighted to find that ancient sources, which cannot tell us what an "antoninianus" was really called, gives the names for all of Actaeon's dogs:

"The following list is as given in Hyginus' Fabulae. The first part of the list is taken from Ovid's Metamorphoses (Book III, 206–235), and the second from an unknown source.

Note: In the first part of the list, Hyginus fails to correctly differentiate between masculine and feminine names.

According to Ovid

Dogs: Melampus, Ichnobates, Pamphagos, Dorceus, Oribasos, Nebrophonos, Laelaps, Theron, Pterelas, Hylaeus, Ladon, Dromas, Tigris, Leucon, Asbolos, Lacon, Aello, Thoos, Harpalos, Melaneus, Labros, Arcas, Argiodus, Hylactor.

Bitches: Agre, Nape, Poemenis, Harpyia, Canache, Sticte, Alce, Lycisce, Lachne, Melanchaetes, Therodamas, Oresitrophos.

Authors other than Ovid

Dogs: Acamas, Syrus, Leon, Stilbon, Agrius, Charops, Aethon, Corus, Boreas, Draco, Eudromus, Dromius, Zephyrus, Lampus, Haemon, Cyllopodes, Harpalicus, Machimus, Ichneus, Melampus, Ocydromus, Borax, Ocythous, Pachylus, Obrimus;

Bitches: Argo, Arethusa, Urania, Theriope, Dinomache, Dioxippe, Echione, Gorgo, Cyllo, Harpyia, Lynceste, Leaena, Lacaena, Ocypete, Ocydrome, Oxyrhoe, Orias, *Sagnos, Theriphone, *Volatos, *Chediaetros"

11. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Clearly from the Bacchus-Dionysius Vineyards of Utopia, Atlantis, circa the second or third year of the 696th Olympiad, a very good year for Demeter corn. Eureka, what a find.

Marsyas Mike, Theodosius and TIF like this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nope, don't collect bottles. :) I was ok with the Jim Beam, but when @Clavdivs tossed out the Ouzo, it reminded me WHY I cannot STAND that stuff! (It also reminds me of that gawd-awful Soju... it was even packaged in lighter fluid styl plastic bottles...)

drunkpumpkin.jpg

After too much of that stuff, you could be like this emaciated bull from Carthage:

Carthage 216-215 BCE Sardinia mint AE 3.3g Tanit L - BULL stndg R CNP 377a.JPG
    Carthage 216-215 BCE Sardinia mint AE 3.3g Tanit L - BULL stndg R CNP 377a

13. Theodosius

Who takes 36 MinPins on a hunting trip?

I am naming my next dog "Melampus".

:)

Alegandron, Marsyas Mike and TIF like this.
  14. Theodosius

Love the skinny bull...

That has real character. Just a celator whim or a reference to bad harvest?

John

Marsyas Mike and Alegandron like this.
  15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Sounds like a Dr. Seuss character :D

Marsyas Mike and Theodosius like this.
  16. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Those ultra-modern ancient Greek items are so impressive. As for failing to correctly differentiating between masculine or feminine dog's names, without going into great detail, maybe the gender, at times, was neither. Lastly, the only Greek dog's name I'm familiar with is Cerberus, the hound of Hades, a monstrous dog that guards the entrance to the nether world. In case I meet him before you all do, I'll flip a coin for him, and I expect that should pacify him ?

Marsyas Mike and TIF like this.
  17. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Don't forget the dog of Odysseus, Argos, as faithful as Penelope.

18. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

kevin, if I forgot the dog of Odysseus, Argos, I'd be barking !!!

19. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Ancient pet names are interesting. The "Megerius Mosaic" shows that even animals slaughtered in Roman games were given names. Here you see leopards Victor, Crispinus, Luxurius and Romanus being slain in Roman Tunisia...

Of numismatic interest, the guy towards the left with the tray is carrying bags of denarii - the symbol on each bag indicating "1000" - payment for the hunters ("DENARIOS QVINGENIOS" in the inscription). A rare instance of coins (even bagged) shown in an ancient work of art:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magerius_Mosaic

Magerius Sousse_museum_Smirat-retouched.jpg

By Sousse_museum_Smirat.jpg: Pascal Radiguederivative work: Pethrus (talk) - Sousse_museum_Smirat.jpg, CC BY 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=10238235

zumbly, jb_depew, Theodosius and 5 others like this.
  20. jb_depew

jb_depew Well-Known Member

I like everyone's thrifted artifacts! Here is my very ancient Roman bronze flowerpot, from Goodwill.
    [​IMG]

21. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

You mean this cute li'l guy?

00-cerberusDJcctU6W0AAhJ2-.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted