Pick this up today if I am not mistaken cull is the same as damage

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Larry E, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Larry E

Larry E Well-Known Member

Liked it because of Carson city mint , shop said cull coin you can sell for more ???? Paid 35.00 can I get some feed back on cull and is there any true in what he said. 1543115899511141983124.jpg 1543115941837743349339.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

A cull is a coin the has no numismatic value. but still may have value due to the metal content. There are damaged coins that still have numismatic value to them.
    I would say that Cull is not the same as Damaged. IMO

Omegaraptor, Two Dogs and LA_Geezer like this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Well you only over paid by $24 ! Melt is $10.9984....
    And the shop that sold it to you I personally wouldn't deal with them any longer.
    By chance when the person at the shop told you whay you stated above did you notice their nose getting longer?
    Cull/damaged coin are worth melt... sorry for the bad news but stay away from that shop...

coinzip, Nathan401 and LA_Geezer like this.
  5. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

I would disagree that cull has no value beyond its metal content. That’s a CC Morgan. An extremely popular coin. I think overall, $35 isn’t that bad at the end of the day. Cheapest CC Morgan I’ve seen.

6. Larry E

Larry E Well-Known Member

I was kind on bank on the cc some others were 85.00 to 200.00

7. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

I looked on eBay, the cheapest CC Morgan I could find was about $52 shipped in much worse shape then yours. I’d say you did pretty well.

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That's not really true. Common date coins in a common series like morgans yes that is true, but there are countless date/mm combos and series where this statement isn't even close to true.

kountryken likes this.
  9. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Cull is damaged to the point where a coin is worth significantly less, if not melt. Key dates, even when cull, will often sell for higher than melt. $35 probably isn’t bad, but I’d have passed and saved that for a better grade.

Spark1951, JCro57, Dynoking and 2 others like this.
  10. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

To me Cull means a coin without an identifiable date due to wear or damage, or a disfigured bent coin. The OP's coin is a cull in my opinion, however the value is what someone is willing to pay. I think $35.00 is a fair price for the cc Morgan.

11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

To each their own....the coin is definitely a cull,damaged,bent,and cleaned.
    The only value this collector of over 50 + years see's in this specimen is melt! The op opening statement saying he was advised that a cull coin would sell for more is an out right lie told by the shop!
    I get it no one wants to hurt anyone's feelings but the truth be told it not a coin that will command any premium due to it's a problem coin!
    To spend good money for bad just doesn't make sense! I be willing to bet this coin has been sitting in the shop for a good period of time.
    And to find another person willing to pay $35 or less, for a damaged specimen are few and far between.
    The op trusted a dealer who only concerns were to get as much as they could for a piece of inventory 99.999% of his customers wouldn't even consider to purchase.

12. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

There is no question that coin is "damaged." I don't even know why or how someone can say that it isn't. Bent, cleaned, etc.

That is a cull coin and is damaged, but not all cull coins are damaged. Some are just terribly worn to the point that almost no design elements are left, or are loaded with verdigris or horribly ugly toning.

As for if you overpaid, that is debatable yet every single person can be right. Some can say you did, some say no more than melt for it, others go by similar sales with similar wear and damage. That is for you to decide.

Personally, I would not have purchased it except 5% below melt.

Seattlite86 and Paddy54 like this.
  13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with hurting someone’s feelings, personal values do not equal market values.

SammyMann and Ima Dragon like this.
  14. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

$35.00 is cheap to add a CC mint mark to any collection. Everyone is not into collecting coins for a monetary value. Some enjoy the fun of adding new specimens to a collection without regards to the end value. Value is in the eyes of the buyer and because a Gray sheet or Red Book says a value, it does not mean a coin never sells above the value listed. If the OP is happy with the purchase, that is all that matters. As for the seller saying he can get more, I think a particular someone will pay more. It might take time and being in the right place at the right time.

15. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The PCGS glossary defines a cull as

So, a cull is often a damaged coin - but a damaged coin isn't necessarily a cull. Culls definitely do not sell for more - they usually don't sell for anything. Culls are the sort of thing you have a hard time giving away because they are so ugly, worn, rotten, damaged, or whatnot that they are hardly even recognizable.

@Larry E , your coin is damaged, but I would not consider it a cull. I would say your coin has AG-03 details, polished, with excessive rim damage. I personally would not have bought this coin - I would have saved my money and waited for something that was not damaged. Problem free AG-3's sell for $60-$70, which isn't a whole lot more. However, an AG-3 details coin sold on Heritage (with considerably less damage, mind you), for $50.... so your $35 isn't an awful deal.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/morgan-dol...-212-000-numi/a/131620-25121.s?type=NGC131620

Cheech9712, Larry E, JAY-AR and 2 others like this.
  16. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

The Heritage Coin is definitely not a cull

baseball21 likes this.
  17. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

As an amateur of observation only, I believe that it was George Carlin who opined that there was a market for everything—even two boards nailed together would eventually find a buyer who might say, "Just what I was looking for!" You hit the nail on the head here. Coin collectors seldom display much passion for anything other than that small bit of round metal that does nothing but sit there.

18. Daniel Lowery

Daniel Lowery Active Member

I agree with you. Any CC Morgan that has a readable date and MM is worth $ 35.

Cheech9712, JAY-AR, SammyMann and 2 others like this.
  19. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I might have bought the coin just to have the CC mint mark. Any other coin in that condition I would barely glance at. But in this case, the history behind it trumps the price trumps the condition. Just my set of priorities.

20. SammyMann

SammyMann Member

One man's cull is another man's home! I rebuilt my home with 90% cull lumber. Home built in 1924 rebuilt from 2016 ongoing. Getting stronger everyday. The coin in question is as valuable to the new owner as he feels it is. He liked it because of the CC mint. Good enough for me. Sounds like a grown man bought something he wanted.

Larry E, Cheech9712, AUAGBUG and 2 others like this.
  21. Ima Dragon

Ima Dragon Year of the Dragon

Value is determined by the collector and what they'll part with . Yes , I would gladly pay $35.00 for that particular coin . I have an interest in Raw well circulated & damaged coins even holed ones .

Larry E, SchwaVB57 and SammyMann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted