Phrygia Kibyra and new coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Cyrrhus, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

Hello,

What a week, I never heard from this place, there are indeed 1000 sites in Turkey, It is very cheap for me the go there, I have to see again, went already a couple of times of course.

Okay, Kibyra than:
    Old name: Kabala
    Midway between Burdur and Fethiye,Gölhisar is a dusty small town of little distinction which is, nonetheless, home to one of Turkey's most impressive and least visited archaeological sites !!!!!!!

Kibyra lies a mere 2km beyond the vast and ugly Çeşme Çarşı Cami (mosque).It's within walking distance of town but since the road runs steadily uphill you might want to take a taxi if it's a hot day.

Backstory

The ancient town was originally founded as Kabala at the point where Caria, Lydia, Phrygia and Psidia met and at a major junction for east-west and north-south trade routes by people who may have spoken a Luwian language.

Later it became part of the Kingdom of Pergamum and formed a federation, the Kabalis Tetrapolis, with neighbouring Boubon, Balboura and Oinanda.

Eventually the other three cities became part of the Lycian League while Kibyra became Roman. Everything to be seen at the site today stems from after the Roman occupation and especially from the period of rebuilding that took place after a devastating earthquake hit in 23 AD.

Look at the hippodrome and theater:

upload_2016-7-26_19-34-32.jpeg

[​IMG]

Okay then indeed my new purchase:

[​IMG]
    PHRYGIA, KIBYRA. SEVERUS ALEXANDER, 222-235 AD. AE 18MM (3.19 GM). OBV.: AYK M AVP AΛЄΞANΔPOC, LAUREATE, DRAPED AND CUIRASSED BUST RIGHT. REV.: KIBYPA TΩN, WICKER BASKET. BMC 67. VF.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

interesting bust isn't it? cool reverse aslo...nice on cy.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Interesting portrait and cool coin as a whole.

5. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Nice, never knew about Okay. Looks like a good place to sit back and enjoy the view. Good looking coin too.

6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Ya, I've got nothing from that city but here's an earlier coin from the region that I don't get to post enough:

[​IMG]
    Phrygia, Apameia; BC 133-148
    AE, 6.73g, 23mm; 2h
    Obv.: Bust of Athena right wearing high crested Corinthian helmet and aegis
    Rev.: AΠAMEΩN; eagle alighting on base with meander pattern flanked by caps of the Dioskouroi, star above

stevex6, zumbly, TIF and 7 others like this.
  7. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I got a pink one
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

stevex6, zumbly, TIF and 5 others like this.
  8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Whoowho! Another one - thanks @Pishpash !

Also, no politics, but stay safe @Cyrrhus !

Cyrrhus and Pishpash like this.
  9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

That theater looks to be well preserved. Are you travelling there anytime soon?

Here is my only coin from that neck of the woods:
    Phrygia Apameia.jpg
    APAMEIA, PHRYGIA AE23
    OBVERSE: Laureate head of Zeus right
    REVERSE: APAME to the right, cult statue of Artemis Anaïtis standing facing, magistrate HRAKLEI EGLO to left
    Struck at Pergamon 133-27 BC
    8.38g, 22mm
    SNGCop 183.1; BMC Phrygia p. 77, 48

Also, there are many later Roman coins which display captives or fallen horeman wearing Phrygian caps.

Constantius II 2.jpg
    CONSTANTIUS II
    AE3
    OBVERSE: D N CONSTAN-TIVS P F AVG, diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: FEL TEMP-REPARATIO, soldier spearing fallen horseman who is wearing Phrygian helmet, reaching backwards. ASIS zigzag in ex.
    Struck at Siscia 351-355 AD
    2.39 g, 17 mm
    RIC VIII 352
    Constans 14.jpg
    CONSTANS
    AE2
    OBVERSE: D N CONSTANS P F AVG - Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust left, holding globe
    REVERSE: FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Constans standing left holding chi-rho banner in right and resting left on shield, two bound captives wearing Phrygian helmets standing to left, ASIS in ex
    Struck at Siscia 348-350 AD
    3.93g, 20mm
    RIC VIII 224

stevex6, icerain, zumbly and 7 others like this.
  10. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

Well I think I will go there in September, now it is too hot
    Hot in many ways...

Jwt708 likes this.
  11. Bing

I went to Turkey two years ago in early September. The temperatures were mild at 40-41c everyday (104-106F). If you can, perhaps you should wait till later in September?

12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Ugh, that's too hot! I was just at Kos and I could see Turkey from my room...it was hot! Without the breeze I would have been unapproachable.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  13. Bing

Correction: that was three years ago. My how time flies.
    download.jpg

14. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Terrific coin and I admit I'm a bit jealous about your trip @Cyrrhus ...DEFINITELY have to arrange an International journey next Spring!!!

15. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I went to Turkey ( Ankara ans Istanbul ) in August 1976. It was fine weather, not hot at all. Everything was good enough, in contrast with the heat of today. Maybe those happy days would never come back. BTW.. I wasn't interested in coins by that time. Sorry, otherwise I Would have posted something I acquired there.

16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Congrats on scoring such a cool OP-example, Cyrrhus ... I don't think that I've seen that type before?

I have a similar example as a few of our other coin members ...

Phrygia, Apameia

phya.jpg phyb.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted