Photos

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Black Friar, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Call this posting a numismatic brain fart from one collector to another.

I must say that I have been following the Ancients forum for a bit. Several things I have noticed.

First, all of you love to share insights, as well as help new members. Secondly, and just as important, the quality of photography has exploded. Members are always asking how to improve their skills, the support you have shown is quite admirable. We learn from each other. Coin photography is a learned skill and for me a passion. Keep on working at it. Some advice; play with the light, and always fill your frame.

Cell phone photography is such that it enables more people to share and learn about the beauty and history of ancients. If you ever have a chance to go to the ANA's Summer Seminar when they offer the coin photography class, do it. No matter how long you have been shooting coins I guarantee you will learn more and your photography will be kicked up a notch or two.

Third, Numismatics really is a solitary hobby. We get some free time and want to spend it looking at our collections no matter how many times we have viewed the same coins. We only get together if we are in a club and attend monthly meetings, or go to a local, regional or national show. All are numismatic nerd heaven.

And now I close, I have to work on another one of my historical past times. Building a new model. An 1/72 scale A-10 Worthog.

Cheers to all,

Black Friar
    "This is my hobby, I do it for fun."

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

It used to be, but with the advent of the internet, we all are rather connected......especially in platforms such as 'coin talk'. You don't have to collect in isolation anymore.......

Pickin and Grinin and BenSi like this.
  4. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I prefer 1/48 scale for aircraft. And the A-10 is not quite (I think) historic past times as it is still in use (I think).

5. green18

Tank Buster.....they'd be idiots to take it out of service. Don't do very well in a 'dog fight' though.......

6. green18

Got's a P-38 Revel model I'm aiming to put together. Kripes.......I put together 'models' as a kid, but can you believe the prices that they want for these things today? The P-38 was over thirty dollars, but I had a 1/2 off coupon at AC moore, so that eased the pain a bit. Too bad the demise........

7. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

The Warthog is not new either. However, my son has a jones for one. I just finished a He 162 in 72nd that was captured by the Russians after WWII. I'll also build a German Salamander.

Here is one of my historic models, the CSS Hunley. I have built a Monitor which was used in their civil war exhibit at the ANA Museum in Colorado Springs along with five different cwt's in mint state. I really enjoy building Civil War Union ironclads. Quite historic, and recently finished reading a book on the life of H.L. Hunley. As an aside, the Hunley was built by the army.

The model is seven inches long, with the attached torpedo (mine) boom it measures just under eleven inches. The attached is a Monitor (not mint state) token. Really nice how two hobby interests (passion) sometimes come together.

To keep this on the straight and narrow I have attached another ancient. Have a great weekend all.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted