Photography: tilted coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dougsmit, Feb 28, 2014.

1. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Well, I think the OP's photos are freakin' cool: Nothing is HIDDEN in the way that they're photographed.

Perhaps to get the "tilting" quality we desire, shouldn't we use video instead of stills? Now to find a macro lens for my video camera...

MKent likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

1918SLincolnNEW.jpg 1918SLincolnNEW2.jpg Excellent pictures! :cool:

Of course, one should always include the standard over-head photos to go along with angled shots. My pics are nowhere as good as yours, but I like to use angle pics to bring out the "different" aspects of a coin.

Clutchy likes this.
  4. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

I'm likin it.. There should be a front view, angled front, edge view, angled reverse, straight reverse... in that order.. sort of an animation of the coin being flipped. I guess it would work best with medallic aligned coins, but they could flip up and down too if not....a slow moving gif would be sweet!!!

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm a big fan of having several types of images. They all help me understand a coin better. To me the OP images are really good. He was able to keep most of the coin in focus, even with the tilt.
    What lens are you using Doug? I'll guess you must have shot these at F16 or higher stop?

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Brandon - first of all the quality, or lack of quality, of pictures I have personally taken have nothing to do with the subject being discussed. Nor does my not collecting coins anymore. Nor does the discussion of scanners vs cameras have anything to do with it.

What we are talking about is the ability of a single picture taken by anybody, at any angle, to show you everything that is on the coin. No single picture can do that. Even you admit this is true.

Apparently what you take issue with is my comment that - none of them are better than other. The reason I say that is because of the above that you agree with. And if you agree with one thing then you must agree with the other for if the one thing is true then the other must be as well - it simply can't be any other way.

But I'm not going to try and convince you for that is waste of time, you will believe what you wish to believe. So we shall have to agree to disagree.

7. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

You continue to perpetuate a fallacy of logic.

I agree that no single photo can portray all attributes of a coin.

However, I also believe that a straight-on image is the most useful of all combinations and permutations of tilting, etc. to give the most accurate single-image portrayal of a coin. And, I know several professional coin photographers who agree with me.

There is nothing inconsistent or conflicting in those two statements.

Now with regard to the types of coins posted by the OP in this thread ,the tilting in no way really matters. The coins are well circulated, and any angle of view will make that clear. But, as cmp9ball said, for modern coins, particularly those in UNC, tilted coin images tends to hide more issues than the corresponding straight-on images. Just because you disagree with that statement (IMO as a matter of polemics) doesn't mean that it isn't true almost all the time. Again, for modern, particularly UNC coins, the least misleading coin image is one that is straight-on.

But, as seems to always be the case when I try to clarify that you have made a silly over-reaching statement, you twist things around to suit your needs. So be it. We will have to agree to disagree.

8. GDJMSP

No, I haven't made an over-reaching statement at all. If no single picture can show everything there is to be seen on a coin, and if some things on a coin can only been seen from a certain angle, then it simply cannot be said that straight on angle is the best angle to use. Bottom line is it depends on the coin as to what angle is best for that given coin.

And preference of angles, by professional photographers or anybody else, has nothing to do with it for that is merely their preference.

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

To say nothing of lighting. Set an angle and change the lighting to get whatever results you want. Can this be abused - of course it can. The worst thing about scanning coins is that it produces a lifeless image that is very unflattering to may coins.

10. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Whatever. More baseless nonsense.

The piece you seem to not understand is that a straight-on image is a function of the lights used to create it. The angle of the lights to the coin (low vs. high) is just as good as tilting a coin in the light to bring out certain characteristics. When you roll a coin around in the light in your hand, that's because it's easier than moving the sun in the sky or moving the light source.

Just because no single image can show everything about a coin, doesn't mean there can't be one optimal view for consistent viewing.

No single photograph can show everything there is about a person either...that doesn't mean that it's not optimal to have a standard portrait face shot instead of a picture of the person's foot.

No single photograph can show everything there is about a car either...that doesn't mean that a standard side view of the car isn't optimal to a picture of the undercarriage.

This will be my last post in this thread, as I'm tired of trying to explain logic to the self-proclaimed CT oracle.

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Thank you

12. GDJMSP

Sorry, but that isn't true.

Yes, changing the angle of the lights can bring bring out different characteristics of the coin such as luster or color. And yes, changing the angle of the lights can even make it look like an entirely different coin. I have posted examples of this myself many times. But it doesn't, because it cannot, bring out ALL of the characteristics.

And that's because there is more than one set of angles in play when you take a coin picture. There are the angles between the lights and the coin, and the angles between the coin and the camera. Move any one of the three things involved and you will get a different result in the picture.

But then there is another set of angles involved, one that most seem to forget about, the angles on the surface of the coin itself. And since the angle of incidence will always equal the angle of reflection the only way some things on the coin can be seen is the change the angle between the coin and the camera.

And that's why we roll a coin under the light, so we can see everything, not just some of it.

Not baseless nonsense, mathematical fact.

edit - one last thing, I have never, ever, claimed to be an expert, let alone an oracle. In fact I have done the exact opposite many times and stated flat out that I am most definitely NOT an expert. Now you want to talk about baseless nonsense, that last sentence in your post, that is baseless nonsense.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  13. Justin Balderrama

Justin Balderrama New Member

I think the tilted photos are a really great idea :)

14. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Holograms would be really cool. I wonder if luster would show up on a hologram :D

15. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

Beautiful images. Not sure what your intentions are completely, but if its to sell coins, I would supply your typical, straight on shots with these. I would question if Im seeing everything that needs to be seen.

16. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

This is not a direct response to you, but more a response to all similar posts.

IMHO, the OP's intentions were to use this angled view IN ADDITION to normal straight on shots. The purpose was to show the rim and the depth of the coin beyond the standard coin photos, a "3rd view". I think that distinction is getting lost in all this back and forth.

Clutchy likes this.
  17. Clutchy

Ill be honest, most of the time I respond before reading others comments, so that my comments are not influenced. Again, beautiful images.

18. Clutchy

LOL sometimes it aggravates people, I end up asking a question that has been answered 10x already :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted