Photographing slabbed coins: finally a setup that I like

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jim-P, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Jim-P

Jim-P Well-Known Member

I've tried different lighting, angles and cameras. I've read the advice of the experienced photographers on this website. I don't have a lot to work with here, but I finally found a way to take what I consider respectable pictures of slabbed coins. No big dollar items here, and the pictures are mostly for internet sale and auction sites.

Dealing with the reflections was the biggest challenge for me. My USB microscope has LED lights. I can turn them off and use side lighting but I don't like the coloring of anything I tried on silver coins. So I use a block, just small enough to tilt the reflection of the lamps out of the way. Granted, I lose some clarity either at the top or the bottom of the coin when tilting it, but I'm okay with the trade-off.

MVC-832F.JPG MVC-833F.JPG MVC-836F.JPG 211023135652538.jpg

serafino, MaryK, Gilbert and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

Very cool setup, and I agree the results are pretty darn good.

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

They got F/stops on microscopes?

cwart likes this.
  5. cwart

Mine does not, but I can make adjustments like that in the photo-editing software after I take a picture.

6. green18

I've never been able to fix 'blur' in post processing.

7. cwart

It has sharpen as one of the options, like you said it just doesn't work very well...

8. green18

Using that tends to make things more 'grainy' in my experience. I seldom use it.

9. cwart

I try, try, try not to use any of the editing features (except crop), but sometimes I just need to tweak the white balance of the shot. I avoid the sharpening function too, I agree it just usually makes things sharper, but grainier. If its a blurry shot I'll usually just reshoot.

green18 likes this.
  10. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

What kind of phone? Mine has in its settings, ISO, white balance and brightness/darkness settings. Try 3 lamps. 2 up high at 10 and 2, and one almost at coin level at 6. You can also hang a piece of oven paper in front of the lights to control glare, experiment with the distances.
    These are shot through the plastic capsules
    DSC00749.jpg DSC00750.jpg DSC00827.jpg DSC00828.jpg

serafino and Gilbert like this.
  11. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Great idea using the clamps! Hope you don’t mind me stealing it?:rolleyes:

serafino likes this.
  12. Jim-P

Jim-P Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted