Photographing Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by centsdimes, Jul 21, 2013.

1. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

How do you go about photographing coins? I've had good results, it seems to me, using Canon Powershot A2300 and A2500 cameras (only about $100). Just put the coin on the table, with a 100-watt incandescent lamp (25-watt spiral), and snap the picture. I do put them on an address book that I can 1795 Cent Obv.JPG 1795 Cent Rev.JPG slant away from the light. I'll post a couple of my pictures.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrgooch

mrgooch Active Member

I have found a simple way of taking photos of coins. What I do is have a decent camera that can take photos close enough that when you enlarge them they still have details. I only use window light. That is light that comes through the window without any sun [ indirect ]. If you have a white shade on the window use it. Take a number of photos and only use a few of the best. Check the photo for focus as it must be sharp. Use something to lay the coin on that is a neutral color like grey,tan,etc. Stay away from distracting colors such as orange,yellow and such. DSCF2336.jpg

4. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

Beautiful picture.

5. mrgooch

mrgooch Active Member

The problem with using a bulb or another single source light it is uneven or gives a harsh or hot spot. Your photo shows a hot spot on the top left.

6. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

Yes, I was studying that. Problem is, there is no window in a convenient spot for my taking the picture. Would a second lamp help? Or maybe take the picture without a lamp, using only the two 60-watt bulbs on the ceiling. Or maybe moving the coin farther from the lamp.

7. mrgooch

mrgooch Active Member

There must be something you can use by placing it next to a window just for the photos. As far as using other methods it's all in experimenting and finding a good result.

8. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

9. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

10. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

I suppose so. The sun shifts around and shines right into the window in the latter part of the day, making this a bit more complicate.

11. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

Wondering if I can get some opinions on 2 photography methods I'm trying out. The first my my "standard" method - no adjustment to the lighting. That would be what I used here for this 78 Proof Kennedy:

78 Ken Obverse.JPG

The other option is this photo I just took (didn't have the same coin handy, unfortunately) that used a milk jug over my lighting to diffuse it.

2005 Kennedy test.JPG

Not sure what that "coloration" is on the right side - it doesn't appear on the coin or slab. Anyway, not sure if this is a better method or not. I like the additional detail in the hair, but the text doesn't seem to stand out as much.

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks!

12. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

Off the top of my head, the first picture looks nicer, but the second shows more detail and would be of better use if you are trying to sell the coin, if you can get rid of the coloration.

13. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

Thanks, not sure if perhaps some of the milk jug is projecting onto the surface of the coin since it's not just "flat" plastic. Will have to experiment.

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I like the first one better too Rassi. The second shot looks dull and lackluster, but the technique you employed may be good for other coin shot situations. I like the black and white contrast resulting in standout cameo for the first shot........

Centsdimes? Crop it dear fellow........

1795 Cent Obv.JPG

15. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

Bur I did crop most of it.

16. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Simon, what kind of magnifier are you using in your setup?

17. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

It's actually 2 magnifiers...a cheap plastic magnifying glass and then some lens. I just stack them on top of each other. I am unsure of the total power of magnification used, though.

18. green18

Essential to crop every bit of it so we are not distracted by background.

Nice shot old sport.........:)

19. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

Thank you.

20. The Goldeneye

The Goldeneye Man with the Golden Coin

I use a camera on a 2 year old phone and use a loupe to magnify the picture until it recognizable and take the picture. That's why my pictures suck.

21. green18

You need a decent (and relatively cheap) 'point and shoot' camera with macro capabilities. Don't over think this thing guys. Marvelous results can be had in a most uncomplicated manner.........

Draft saved Draft deleted