Photograghing Toners need a few suggestions

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Smojo, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I went in my LCS yesterday after several months. They never have any decent ancients so why bother.
    I did plug a hole in my ASE collection though.
    It's got a decent tone to it. Even though I'm not into the tone fad I got it anyway. It was a decent price and the owner remembered me.
    I can't really capture the colors. I played with the light and took several shots.
    Where do you toner put your light source to get the colors for your pics?
    20170114_124431.jpg
    After several failed attempts I can't seem to get the blue hues to photograph.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You've got to experiment with the lighting. Most times I'll set the lights at 10 and 2 o'clock, but that doesn't always work. You may have to move them to different positions to achieve what you hold in your hand. Do you have 'live view' or are able to tether your camera to a computer? If so, you'll be more able to view the expected results in real time.

4. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

What type of light source(s) do you use?

5. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Try white background instead of dark. Place another coin under the edge to give the coin a little tilt towards or away from the light until you get the hue you want. You have to try different angles and lights.

1988 ase nt.jpg

charlietig, Mad Stax and Smojo like this.
  6. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

No, looking for new laptop. I donated mine to my grandson, a greater cause I guess.

It's a jewelers flip type desktop light. I stole it from my wife. And sometimes I'll ad a small LED light, a 10 bulb.

7. dave_in_delaware

dave_in_delaware Active Member

I'm a total noob to photographing coins, but with all the photographs I've taken so far, I've actually never used any artificial lights in my setup. I wait for a bright (but not sunny) day to take photographs. I set my "numismatic photography shelf" right ON a window sill and use the natural light that comes through the window.

I have a toned silver bullion coin. I'll have to see if my method works tomorrow.

8. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

No sun here, ice at night rain in the day. Not like I see the sun anyway, at work at 5am get home as the sun is going down.
    Every now and then I luck out and get a good shot. The camera is decent. I take it to NASCAR & NHRA get great shots there.
    Once I replace my laptop I'll be able to download from it. Not sure what my issue with is with taking pictures of coins for some reason I struggle with light.
    Experiment more with it tomarrow.
    Thanks

9. dave_in_delaware

I would also suggest a tripod, using a timer, macro mode, low ISO setting, spot metering, natural color, and raw image (TIFF).

I've tried both white and black backgrounds, and have found that the black background photographs better for me using natural daylight than the white (seemed to be washed out).

But to get "true toning" in the photo you might try something different. I'll have to experiment with some settings, lighting, and angles tomorrow.

Smojo likes this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I think the key for this kind of toning is to reduce the angle between the light hitting your coin and the light going from your coin to the camera. Get the light as close as possible to the camera, and as high as possible without having the camera cast a shadow on the coin.

There's such a thing as an "on-axis" or "coaxial" lighting system, which uses a "beam-splitter" (or, more cheaply, a simple piece of glass) to cast light directly onto the coin while still letting the camera see it. I haven't built one yet.

BadThad likes this.
  11. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I think I can rig that up. I have a few different types of glass.
    Never heard it put that way before, sounds simple enough.

12. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Lustrous toners are a "no such thing as a free lunch" situation. You either have to diffuse the light to maximize the color or harden the light to maximize the luster. Of course, there's an optimal point in between that makes the coin look really good, and you'll have to find that.

Smojo, Sean5150 and micbraun like this.
  13. dave_in_delaware

Well, I've experimented with my typical setup at home. It's sunny today but the sun isn't around the house on my "photography window" side yet.

Again, this is strictly natural lighting that comes through the window. No artificial lights.

I've varied the angle, trying flat, tilting away from the camera, and tilting towards the camera. Flat made the toning turn out darker than it is. Tilting towards the camera cut off some much-needed light. I settled with tilting away from the camera a little, which basically tilts the coin towards the light more.

I've varied the background between black and white. White still makes it seem washed out. So I stuck with the black background.

I do have the camera set up directly above the coin (on a tripod). And the lens ends up about 5 inches away. I'm using macro mode, the timer, 1600x1200 TIFF, ISO 64, Daylight white balance, spot metering, natural color mode, exposure brightness of 1.0 EV, and program exposure mode.

It's the best I can get using natural light coming through my window.

Obverse:
    Silver-Bullion-Buffalo-Nickel-Design-Ob.jpg

Reverse:
    Silver-Bullion-Buffalo-Nickel-Design-Re.jpg
    The obverse is definitely changing colors more than the reverse. Both sides of the coin do look a little dull on the raised areas, possibly from someone (not me) trying to clean the toning off? I'm not sure. It's not the brightest or shiniest looking bullion I have, but I bought it because the obverse toning was pretty.

Sadly, the photo still doesn't do the toning justice compared to in-hand.

green18 and Smojo like this.
  14. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

No sun today expected overcast until the end of the week. Been to busy today to cut the glass today but I'm anxious to try your suggestions

15. dave_in_delaware

Overcast is a good thing as long as it isn't too dark outside. Makes for more uniform natural lighting. Sure, the sun is a brighter light, but it also casts shadows.

16. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Whenever you are trying to capture the "in-hand" look, you need to light it in exactly the same way that you are viewing it "in-hand". Hold the coin such that you see the colors you like, then take note of where the light is, what type it is, angle and position vs the coin, etc. Duplicate this and you will get the same look.

Smojo and green18 like this.
  17. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

To add to this slightly, hold the coin perpendicular to your eyes, and move the light to suit. That's what you'll be doing with the camera.

Smojo likes this.
  18. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

And cover one eye, unless you're using a stereo camera.

Smojo and -jeffB like this.
  19. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I see what you mean about the sun.
    I got home today before dusk and a pretty clear day. So I took it out front.
    Better but still not getting the blue & purple hues.
    When I have more time I'll put your suggestions to work. Some I think will even help photgraph difficult ancients.
    I appreciate all your input.
    I even have a couple toned Roosies I'd like to get good pics of.

20. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

This is awsome. Great color

sonlarson likes this.
  21. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Thank you. This is one coin I regret selling. While I sold it for 3 times what I paid for it, I would buy it back in a heartbeat. Every time I look at this photo I want to kick myself for selling.

Smojo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted