Photogenic Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by altaycoins, Jun 18, 2018.

1. altaycoins

altaycoins altaycoins

Can a coin be photogenic?

I think it can. I have coins which looks great at hand but looks terrible when it is photographed or vice versa.

The following coin I acquired recently was a tricky one to photograph. I tried so hard but couldn't manage to get it beautiful toning right. Second image shows how it really looks. In this example the toning layer at the surface was very thin apparently so that only at a certain angle it shines.

Ilkhans, Abu Sa'id, AE Fals, Tabriz, 726 AH. (4.02g, 24 mm)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Opinions will vary but I am strongly of the opinion that there is a major difference between something being beautiful and being photogenic. Beauty contests often had a special award from photographers naming a contestant Miss Photogenic for being easy on the camera and one from contestants naming Miss Congeniality as the one that was easy to like. I have coins that are not at all high grade but that I believe take good photos. In some cases, their faults are part of the appeal of the image adding details to be recorded. One such coin is my fourree gold over copper solidus with wear through in a most pleasing outline. The contrast of the coin is easier to shoot than most ancient gold.
    rz0470bb0432.jpg

Valentinian, GregH, Petavius and 13 others like this.
  4. altaycoins

altaycoins altaycoins

I totally agree and that's what I was trying to say. Some are beautiful but really hard to capture that. And that's a beautiful photograph of a beautiful coin!

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Another category of ancient coins that tend to be easy to photograph are tose with 'sand' patina. We discuss them here many times often questioning whether the sand was original of glued on dirt to hide ugliness beneath. TIF even showed us a group of Alexandrian tetradrachms that had been smeared with human facial make up (Maybellene or other brand?). The contrast between the lighter cover the darker patina/metal below often allows a coin to be photographed with relatively little attention to lighting so they might be called photogenic.
    ru3660bb1921.jpg ru3852fd1633.jpg ru3740b02172lg.jpg

6. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

The first picture in the opening post seems best for documentary purposes. It nicely shows the fabric and inscriptions.
    The second gives a glimp of the toning in hand. This certainly ads a "wow" factor. It is good to capture this because it tends to change over time as the coin repatinates after prior cleaning.
    I'd say that i like the two opening post coins equally, but for different reasons.

altaycoins likes this.
  7. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

That's a beautiful Ilkhans, @altaycoins ! Do you have PhotoShop? If so, you can adjust the contrast so that you can make out the details better.

158_2_23540_.jpg

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

interesting looking coin. which country is this coin from ?

9. altaycoins

altaycoins altaycoins

Sure I am using Adobe Photoshop in my workflow. But the image with the high contrast does not reflect the coin I have. I process the images in a way that it reflects the colors, tone and contrast of the coin in hand.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  10. altaycoins

altaycoins altaycoins

It belongs to Ilkhans.

Ilkhans, Abu Sa'id, AE Fals, Tabriz, 726 AH. (4.02g, 24 mm)

11. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I understand.

Also,

Are you in the Netherlands? One of my favorite European countries. :singing:

12. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Tabriz is in Iran. That's where the coin is from..

spirityoda likes this.
  13. altaycoins

altaycoins altaycoins

Yes I live in the Netherlands. :)

Johnnie Black and Deacon Ray like this.
  14. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

Hey I just received a coin from the Netherlands. A Probus bronze with some gold toning that looks great in hand, but hard to capture. I don’t have a decent setup yet so a phone pic will have to do.

9B6F3E32-3FC7-41A3-9A0C-755A1C11B251.jpeg

Ajax, Justin Lee, altaycoins and 3 others like this.
  15. altaycoins

altaycoins altaycoins

Great coin!
    There not many ancient and medieval coin dealers in the Netherlands. Especially finding an Islamic coin is extremely hard. I generally use http://www.rondomons.nl/ from the Netherlands. Hans Verschoor, the owner, is a friendly and experienced seller.

Johnnie Black and David@PCC like this.
  16. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

I think I've posted this before - it's an Augustus denarius - RIC 252:
    [​IMG]

I'm happy with that picture of it. In other photos, it doesn't look so great, especially the reverse:
    [​IMG]

ATB,
    Aidan.

17. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Thanks for the link, just picked up a rare drachm from him!

altaycoins likes this.
  18. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I like to think this handsome young fella MA AE As is photogenic!
    pjimage (26).jpg
    Marcus Aurelius
    AE26 As, Rome Mint, Struck 145 AD
    Obverse: AVRELIVS CAESAR AVG P II F COS II, Bare head right
    Reverse: [No legend], Minerva standing right, holding spear and resting hand on shield, S-C in field.
    References: RIC III (A. Pius) 1264, C 573
    Size: 26.22mm, 11.47g

And "MA AE As" is not to be confused with "MAMAEA", my other photogenic coin:
    pjimage (14) copy.jpg
    Julia Mamaea
    Mother of Severus Alexander Ruling 222-235 AD
    AR Denarius, Struck Early 222 AD, Eastern Mint
    Obverse: IVLIA MAMAEA AVG (unbroken), draped bust right
    Reverse: IVNO CONSERVATRIX, Juno diademed standing left, holding patera and sceptre, peacock at feet
    References: RIC IV 343, RSC III 35,
    BMC 43, Sear 2310
    Size: 20.5mm, 2.9g

Imagine the beautiful coin babies they could make!

akeady, Ajax, Johnnie Black and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted