Photo opinions solicited

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Jul 1, 2015.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'm working on lighting techniques for coin images an produced the image below showing four versions of the same coin shot with the same camera and lens and the same two lights. The difference is the balance or relative brightness between the two lights. I would appreciate comments on what differences you see between the images and, if there is a preference, which image you consider most/least appealing. Don't ask which looks more like the coin. They all look like the coin did under those light settings.

Images 1 and 4 show only one light in use. Images 2 and 3 show a mix of the two using more of the light used in 1 in image 2 and more of the light used in 4 in image 3. If you see no difference, it is OK to say that as well. I am working on an image showing the set up that made these and will shoot some other coins with the same settings before deciding on what to make of the evidence gathered.

Thanks.
    04xvilightset.jpg

Okidoki likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

#3 has all the high points of the devices evenly lit and seems the most aesthetically pleasing to me. The angle on #4 is a little too much under the bust. 1 and 2 are ok.

4to2centBC likes this.
  4. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

I, too, agree that image #3 shows the best combination/balance of observable detail with sharp highlights. Image #2 is good as well, but some of the shadow details are a bit less clear.

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

All are very good, so any preference I express is by a rather trivial margin.

That said, I prefer 4, followed by 3, then 2, then 1. The angle of lighting of 4 could be improved (or not, if this one was shot with a ring light). 3 has better direction and balance of lighting but I slightly prefer 4-- with tweaks :D.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Was gonna type the same thing, I like #4 best, follow by 3, 2 ,1.

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Well, I agree with TIF. Image 4 is my preference followed by 2 and 3.

8. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

#4.........

10. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

#3 for me. #4 is too flat, maybe from a ringlight, and is next to #5 which would have been to put the coin on a scanner. 1-3 show dimension.

11. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Let me start by saying I own about 3 ancients so I am like the guy at the horse race betting on the prettiest horse. I think #3 has the most "honest" representation of the coin and that #2 makes the coin look the best. #4 has great lighting but it almost shows too much of the coin.

12. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

13. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Yes, but in the case of coin photography, the prettiest horse always wins. :)

Jwt708, TIF and Seattlite86 like this.
  14. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

touché, good Sir.

15. doucet

doucet Well-Known Member

I like #3. It has a good balance of light and shadow. The contrast in #4 is a little strong.

I don't see much difference in 1 and 2, but they aren't as exciting as #3.

16. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Foe me it would be 4, 3, 2, 1 in terms of preference. In my opinion 3&4 show the wear more honestly than 1&2.

Very nice job with the photos.

17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I see virtually no difference between images 1 and 2.

18. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

# 3 and then # 4

19. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

#4 but I do not know ancients.

20. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

3 or 4 are my favorites

21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

0setup0715.jpg

Light one is a bar shaped Ott light bounced off a white foam reflector curved behind it. Light four is an LED ring light. Both lights are adjustable brightness. #1 uses only light 1; 4 only 4. The other two are with both on but #2 has brighter light from light 1 and #3 has brighter from light 4.

Okidoki likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted