Photo of fake slabbed coins.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

These are all for sale on a website, where they can ship to the US. I have emailed PCGS and NGC, but they had never mentioned taking any kind of action against them.

There are over 175 PCGS slabs currently offered.

The name of this Chinese seller, is ...PCGS.
    [​IMG]

BTW, the Cert# on the slab matches the PCGS.com Cert Verify Entry to a T.

This is a $23,000 coin, the counterfeiter sells them for $150.

This is a big deal. A lot of collectors buy slabbed coins to avoid purchasing fakes, but if counterfeiters are making slabs that are fake, you start to loose your trust.

PCGS needs to either make contact with the company, and disallow sales of fake slabs, or PCGS needs to design a new type of slab that is harder to fake.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

2 Words: Photo Verification

4. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Likely because the costs would outweigh what they would get in return, which is nothing. PCGS and NGC are services that people pay for. If people buy counterfeit coins because they're not educated enough in buying legitimate coins in legitimate slabs, then it's not PCGS or NGCs problem, they are practically losing nothing from this as collectors will continue to use their services and PCGS and NGC will continue to make money by such services.

5. tgaw

tgaw Member

it is amazing to me how batant this is becoming.i guess we want to keep taking this undermining from the chinese.try living in china and doing it to one of the chinese coins.maybe our gov.should give the ok to counterfitting chinese coins without any counter marks to indicate that it is a replica.

6. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Unless collectors begin to trust nothing in PCGS or NGC slabs.

7. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Yeah, that would even bring some manufacturing back to the US.

8. Falconetti

Falconetti Member

As a fairly unexperienced collector, this scares the **** out of me .

9. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

One word .... China

OK .... more than one word.
    Here's the most effective link to report this stuff while you are signed in. http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactUs&userid=&pass=&wftype=2022&rcode=BN%25P10072&subject=Selling+Coins&bcrumb=Topics+%3E+eBay+Policies+%3E+Rules+for+Sellers+%3E+Listing+Policies+for+Sellers+%3E+Selling+Coins+

I used to report them but my time is more important to me. I can't keep up with it and I'm sure I didn't put a dent in the amount of the sales. eBay likes getting the fees so they don't do anything about it unless you do. The sellers are not removed, they just relist the items anyway.

10. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

These are not on eBay...

They are faking the older Chinese coins too.

They are also faking Silver Eagles now.
    [​IMG]

BTW, coins are just a drop in the bucket of what gets faked across the pond. There are fake cell phones, fake works of art, fake metal detectors, fake Nike shoes, fake Prada purses, they are even faking milk and eggs, no lie.

They can fake anything.

11. Twinturbo

Twinturbo New Member

Your crying now????
    I remember a year ago I almost got banned for making statements regarding this website. Practically every member here defended the counterfeiters.

12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Tim has been going on crusades for as long as he's been here, so this is nothing new. While his heart is usually in the right place, I sometimes wish he would realize he cannot save the world. PCGS and NGC are surely aware of this, so the point should be to put the info out there for the unfamiliar to use as they see fit. That said, at least from the photos he posted, these are rather poor fakes regardless of the holder. Anyone who would even consider placing realistic cash on the table for a 93-S $1 AU53 shuld at least know enough to look at the coin. This alone should be enough to walk away. The ASEs might be easier to pass off, but the same goes... if one does jot know what they're doing, they shouldn't be buying from anyone other than a reputable source.

13. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Believe me, they are aware and have taken steps to stop the sale of these counterfeits. The problem is that with Chinese law they are not illegal to produce in China and with human greed they are guaranteed to make their way here.

14. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

As far as NGC goes, I would not be too worried. Most, if not all edgeview NGC slabs have been photographed and entered into NGC's database. To verify a coin in question, just enter the number on the slab into the website and compare pictures. As far as pre-edgeview slabs go, there has been counterfitted NGC slabs here also. The article about these slabs is here;

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=954

Be aware that some of the NGC slabs BEFORE those have little security features, and that article should not be applied to "Soapdish" NGC slabs.

The NGC database can be found here;

http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/index.aspx

Soapdish slabs look like this;

[​IMG]

15. Falconetti

Falconetti Member

Thanks for the info ! [​IMG]

16. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

My only advice to this would be, educate yourself, then you have nothing to worry about. Also, learn how to grade and verify the coins, 3rd party slabs are just overpriced opinions. A true collector in my opinion collects coins, not slabs.

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Well, that Eagle looks fake indeed to me. The reverse alone is funky. The way it's photographed is funky as well. Can't save everyone Tim. Best you can hope for is to 'shout it' out there, but there are always going to be folks who get taken. It's a sad fact of life. Those who don't educate themselves and buy from reputable sources will be the victims.

18. John14

John14 Active Member

If the Chinese fake Chinese coins are they still fake? :scratch: LOL

19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

They can't do that. They'll be arrested. The Chinese authorities take a dim view regarding fakes of their own specie. The devil with everyone else though........

20. tgaw

tgaw Member

that sums it up as it is quite obvious why the chinese gov. allows it for other countries,but not china.they use original dies when possible and exact metal content also from what i know it is getting close to impossible to see some fakes.i can't recall at the moment the name of the biggest by far offender over there.

21. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I sure see it as NGC's, PCGS', and more importantly all of our problem.

Think about it, what is the major advantage of slabs? I would argue its the safety non-experts feel buying coins. Now, run a lot of news reports about fake slabs, have a bunch of people running around how coin collecting stole their retirement, and see how quickly sales to a large segment of buyers falls off. What will happen then? All rare coins, or at least the type most of us own, will decrease since fewer buyers.

I simply believe looking the other way and saying its someone else's problem will only hasten such an outcome. I call out and publicize anyone I see selling fakes. Its the least I can do for the hobby.

Draft saved Draft deleted