Featured Photo Editing and Presentation With Photoscape

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by green18, May 15, 2011.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Maybe the reason why I didn't catch anything is because when I downloaded the program my machine was already running Malwarebytes. I can't recall if there were any issues at that time or not.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. x115

x115 Collector

I also use a Mac. but I just use this template. for the mirror effect just flip and rotate coin then place it at bottom.

1t.jpg

4. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

May I ask what application you use? And thanks for the template!

5. x115

x115 Collector

I use preview.

6. Paul_62

Paul_62 Just takin' it one day at a time

This was my experience too. I really dislike this when developers put a good open source program out there and then it gets loaded up with a bunch of junk that hijacks your browser. I think I'd rather pay for the program sometimes. On the other hand, I'd rather have a nice simple program like Photoscape to work with as opposed to having to deal with (and pay for) a high end and bloated application like PhotoShop with it's steep learning curve.

7. Paul_62

That's a smart thing to do. I probably should pay more attention to keeping something like that running on my workstation. I know that there's several places to download it (and other programs) and some are better than others.

8. green18

Also too guys, when you download any kind of 'freeware' (like Photscape) pay attention to what you're agreeing to and pay particular attention to what you are loading onto your machine. When you get to actual installation point click 'advanced' and uncheck anything you don't want installed.........

9. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

well, i love photoshop. But this photoscape program cuts the time it takes by like 4 times.

it also all depends on what type of photography you're working on.

10. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

Another editor i love is Adobe Lightroom. It works wonders for automotive and architectural photography but i havent tryed it on anything else yet.

11. Paul_62

This is true, I knew I'd get some push back on that, I'm a network administrator myself. I don't do a lot of high end graphics. I do understand that Photoshop and the other Adobe applications are the standard for graphics work :) I have CS5 on my main workstation. But like you said, Photoscape cuts the time it takes by 4x ....

12. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

Oh, i own an automotive photography business so i do a lot of editing. Another thing is since you have CS5, you have all the new instruments on there and adobe seems to just keep coming up with them even if there'll never be a need for the tools. CS6 is especially like that. They just packed as much as they could and made it really difficult to find what you need. I personally still stick to my CS2 where it's left at the basics but has everything i need and it's all easy to find. Dont get me wrong, they're all great generations once you're used to them but it's like trying to start all over when you update an adobe program.

13. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

That sound like where I got mine from a year or so ago. And my (standby) PC keeps telling me, "There is a later version of this, do you want to download it?" Thank you very much ma'am, but sometimes later is not greater, I will stick with exactly what I have and I thankee-sai. Long days and pleasant nights.

I also have AVG virus protection freeware, good for a year on it, and i update it regularly.

Best Regards, :hail:

George

14. CoinMike747

CoinMike747 Barber Connoisseur

Amazing tutorial Green! This will most definitely come in handy in the future ;)
    Here is my go at it:
    1832 Capped Bust Half VF-35.jpg

15. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Well, since there's no photoscape for Mac, I decided to try my hand at Photoshop for the desired effect. 2 hours later and I think I'm close...
    [​IMG]

16. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

Ok, played around with it again.

Still not sure if I like my source photographs.

Can anyone give me any tips for the coin photos?

Using a desktop photo stand with 2 incandescent lights at 10 and 2 o'clock....

1978 S Kennedy PF69UC.jpg

17. Rassi

Ok, found a "safe" source for the latest version of Photoscape for anyone who wasn't comfortable with other downloads.

Anyone who uses a lot of freeware is familiar with FileHippo.com. They keep updates (and old versions) available for all the greatest and most popular freeware. I get an update from them whenever any software is updated. Today's listed a new version of Photoscape. Didn't even know they carried it.

So....you can get it here:

http://filehippo.com/download_photoscape/

That link will always have the latest version they carry, as well as links to old versions in case you want to download an older version.

18. Paul_62

Thanks, your link does work. All in all, it's still the best application out there for simple work with your photographs. Way back at the beginning of this thread there is an excellent tutorial on how to set up your photos to be uploaded here....

here's my effort, took me less than 30 minutes :)

1974 Kennedy_rev_toned-horz3.jpg

19. Rassi

Ok, got my new camera....I think it's certainly an improvement. First one I'll post was done with the old camera, second one is the same coin but with the new camera.

2013 S McKinley PCGS PR69 DCAM.jpg

2013 S McKinley PCGS PR69 DCAM 2.jpg

20. green18

What camera Rassi? Second photo is very nice......:)

21. Rassi

Thanks Green...been struggling all afternoon to get it to work like I want.

It's a Canon Powershot SX260 HS.

Wanted something smaller that would work on my desktop stand setup.

Photos are certainly an improvement over the ones from my Samsung S3 cell phone...

Here's another before/after comparison...

78 S Kennedy PF69UC.jpg
    78 S Kennedy PF69UC 2.jpg

Now I'm getting anxious to get my new set of Eagles from the mint so I can experiment!

Draft saved Draft deleted