[Photo] Advice needed to improve photos

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dougmeister, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Please be specific about which coin photo you are critiquing. And please don't critique the grades of the coins, whether or not you think they have been cleaned/dipped, etc. Feel free to PM me with your thoughts on that topic.

The Setup

• Halogen lamp w/ dimmer turned away from the camera
    • Fluorescent ceiling light
    • Two (2) Ikea Jansjo Desk Work LED Lamp Lights + 44 lb vellum filter
    • Canon T5i
    • 18-55mm IS STM (kit lens)
    • Tripod
    • Manual settings (no flash)
    I set the tripod next to my desk and flip the camera to face down.

I set the camera to manual, pick a shutter speed between 1/60 and 1/125 with an f-stop to match so that the white balance is at zero.

Results were cropped with Photoscape.

The Questions

1) I pretty much position the Ikea lamps at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock, but I'm not sure whether to point them parallel to the desk surface, directly onto the coins (but at a slight angle), or whatnot. I usually just move them until it looks nice to me.

2) I tried playing with the white balance settings a bit on the 1882-CC. I think I chose the option for fluorescent lighting which apparently corrects for color and made the coin color more "true to life". What other settings should I be adjusting?

I'm hoping to buy a copy of "Numismatic Photography" soon.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. I'm not very happy with the focusing on some of them. Thanks.

(Edit: pictures re-uploaded per suggestion)

* Pretty sure I made a poor purchase decision on the 1900-O. Has it been dipped too much?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Hey Doug. For one thing, attaching your pics to posts as media is weird. Just use the "Upload a File" button at the bottom of the reply dialogue. Also, images at 1900x1900 are unnecessary - we're not looking for bacteria on the coins.

You got the white balance correct on 5 and 6, but the rest came out with too much red. I try to get the white balance as accurate as I can, but I don't worry it it's off a bit, because I can adjust it in post-processing. I use Paint.NET, a open-source, free image editor.

I sucked some of the red out of your first image. This is probably closer to the actual color of the coin...

1879-S MS64 PL (obv).JPG

green18 likes this.
  4. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

The best advice for you right now is in your own post; buy Numismatic Photography by Mark Goodman and read it.

cpm9ball likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

6. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

That works for me. I have found that playing with 1 light or two, positioned 90deg apart up to 180deg apart, positioning high pointing more directly downward, vs positioning low and pointing at closer to 45-deg to the coin, all will make quite a difference. Certain metals will look better in different lighting. So after a bunch of experimentation I've ended up with different setups for silver and bronze, for example. But of course the bottom line is that you'd like to have your lighting set for the best looking image for any particular coin.

After fiddling with these automatic settings, I found that a) getting lights that are as close to "daylight" helps a ton, and b) using a specific Kelvin setting for white balance to those lights is better than just setting the camera to "fluorescent" or whatever else.

7. John Anthony

If you're using a combination of halogen, fluorescent, and LED's, it's going to confuse the heck out of automatic white balance settings. See if your camera has a MANUAL setting. You can set up your lighting, put a white piece of paper in front of the lens, and have the camera "learn" that this is white under your lights.

8. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Done.

I thought that "more was better". So 500x500 is enough for people to critique the photos?

Yes, it is.

What steps did you take in Paint.NET to "suck" the red out?

9. coop

coop Senior Member

I use Photoshop and came up with this formula for your coin:
    [​IMG]

10. John Anthony

Under the Adjustments button, select Curves from the drop-down menu.

paintnet1.jpg

Select RGB in the Transfer Map dialog.

paintnet2.jpg

Deselect Green and Blue, so that only Red is selected, then drag-click the center line down. The image will change color as you move the line.

paintnet3.jpg

I'll take it further and achieve the effects coop posted above. Photoshop is the preferred tool of professionals, but it costs a heap of money, whereas Paint.NET is free, and more than adequate for editing coin pics.

Under the Adjustments button, select Hue/Saturation.

paintnet4.jpg

I desaturated the image by 30%, which seems to work well for silver.

paintnet5.jpg

You can also adjust the Brightness and Conrast to clarify the image.

paintnet6.jpg

Finally, to resize, go to Image - Resize. Make sure Maintain Aspect Ratio is checked. Type 500 (or any other size you want) into the Width box, click OK.

paintnet7.jpg

If you want to insert your full images into posts, rather than thumbnails, click Full Image, and the image will be inserted wherever your cursor is.

1879-S (obv).JPG

green18 likes this.
  11. John Anthony

Here are both sides of your 1879S processed into one image. It may be a bit dark. I don't know what the original coin looks like. The goal of my post-processing is always to make the image look as much like the coin in hand as possible. For that, I need the coin in hand.

1879-S (obv).JPG

green18 likes this.
  12. John Anthony

I think your best lighting scheme is on the 1900-O, which I've processed the same way...

1900-O raw (obv).JPG

There could be a little more light coming from about 8 o'clock on the obverse, to light the face a bit better.

13. BonnieSue

BonnieSue The devil's in the Hair !!

Yawl are very technical, I use my cell phone and a loupe... very-confused.gif

14. coop

coop Senior Member

You only get what you put into something. But editing can help make images improve.

John Anthony likes this.
  15. BonnieSue

I don't get many complaints, except when I have to many beer, then everything is blurry and I think it's double.... smiley-laughing024.gif

16. coop

coop Senior Member

Kind of like this?
    [​IMG]

John Anthony and McBlzr like this.
  17. BonnieSue

That's exactly what I'm talking about.. LOL smiley-laughing024.gif

18. coop

coop Senior Member

Or you may feel like this:
    [​IMG]

19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Taunt as you like, but John was right on.........

20. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

The advice is right on if the images are taken and there's no opportunity to re-shoot. But this kind of manipulation, especially to the extremes needed for these originals, is always going to degrade the color depth of the image. Re-shooting with accurate color, brightness and light positions is always going to generate a better final product.

John Anthony likes this.
  21. John Anthony

Absolutely, yes. Ultimately the goal is to take a picture that needs minimal editing.

Dave M and green18 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted