Phoenician stater

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Egry, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

Th
    Thank you for your research
    Thank you for all the research, and yes the CNG coin does look like mine. Nice to see that I only paid $90 more (considering buyers premium and exchange rate) than what it sold for almost 10 years ago.

I only have one question remaining, and I’m not imply you have to answer it as you have spent enough time already researching my coin. What is the third letter ‘O’ (reading light to left) mean?

Carl Wilmont likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Welcome! And, Very impressive example. I have a little obol-sized one. The ship motif is cool, but so is the Phoenician script. It's fun, specifically on ancient coins, to see the affinities between different Semitic alphabets. Particularly between Phoenician, like this, archaic Hebrew, on Hasmonean lepta, and the Syriac-inspired Ge'ez on later Aksumite coins. In both of the latter instances, the relative angularity of the letter forms, relative to written texts, serves to emphasize the similarities.

Carl Wilmont and Egry like this.
  4. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Mine not as nice as the OP coin. I still love it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Phoenicia, Arados
    Coin: Silver Stater
    - Laureate head of Baál Arwad with full eye right
    Phoenician letters aleph (´), aleph (´) & mem (M) above - Galley sailing right above waves (three lines) with figure of Pataikos right, all within dotted square border
    Mint: Arados (348/7-339/8 BC)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 9.22g / 17-19mm / -
    References:
    • cf. HGC 10, 32-6
    • Cf. Betlyon 26
    In hand, more silver than gold in colour.

5. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

while I can echo the explanation of the first two letters (right to left) with this quote:
    upload_2020-7-13_16-31-19.png
    -The Oxford Handbook of the Phoenician and Punic Mediterranean

On the third letter - I can only give you the name of the letter: not clear what it represents. Although as I am curious to hear more, I'll make uninformed connections so that others more expert can comment. I am interested to know if there is more meaning that can be read into these letters e.g. I have read that these letters are derived from heiroglyphs and mem comes from "water", aleph a symbol for "strong"/"strength", and ayin for "eye"...need someone who actually knows something about reading Phoenician writing to weigh in (unfortunately, I don't fit that category)
    upload_2020-7-13_16-29-48.png
    This article may be worth reading - or could be a false lead in your investigation. Plate 21,1 does show a coin similar to yours and reads:
    upload_2020-7-13_17-3-18.png
    upload_2020-7-13_17-7-5.png
    - ELAYI, J. (2007). Gerashtart, King of the Phoenician City of Arwad in the 4th cent. BC. The Numismatic Chronicle (1966-), 167, 99-104

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  6. +VGO.DVCKS

I think we've got a Numismatist in the house!!!

Egry, Sulla80 and philologus_1 like this.
  7. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

I was tempted to say something like : "sticks and stones..." :) but instead I'll ask if +VGO.DVCKS has something to do with Oregon?

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

[​IMG]
    PHOENICIA TYRE AE20 7g 76 BCE Turret hd Tyche palm branch - Galley prow volute aphlaston at stern Phoenican letters BMC 26
    Ex: @Bing

Carl Wilmont, Egry, Bing and 2 others like this.
  9. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

Beautiful stater @Egry (and others)! I just have the pint-sized, economy issue.
    It is a whopping 7 mm., and .76 gr.
    upload_2020-7-13_17-14-20.png
    My research pegs it as: Betlyon 13. HGC, 10, #46 (R1).

Carl Wilmont, Egry, Bing and 3 others like this.
  10. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

The Phoenician letter O is a consonant. It has nothing to do with our Latin vowel O. If I want to write Astarte in Phoenician, I will start with O. The same will apply to Abdashtart. The Phoenician alphabet had no vowels. The Greeks added vowels to the first known Phoenician alphabet.
    The consonant O does not exist in Latin, nor in Greek. It's typically Semitic and called "Ayn" to mean "Eye" because it has a round shape like an eye. It exist in the Hebraic and Arabic alphabets, among other Semitic languages.

Carl Wilmont, Egry and Sulla80 like this.
  11. +VGO.DVCKS

I don't usually say this, but, LOL!!!
    Sadly, the name has nothing to do with Oregon. It comes directly from the avatar, about which I should have made a separate post. ...For instance, had I known what I was doing in the first place. The coin is a denier of Hugues /Hugh IV, duke of Burgundy 1218-1272 (funly contemporaneous to Henry III of England). It's a late issue, with the coin legends fully 'catching up,' in the operant medium, with Gothic letter forms. (With die engraving, especially in this period, there was a Lot of time lag.)
    The legend goes: "+VGO BVRGVNDIE," with "DVX," horizontally, in the field. "VGO [...] DVX." Anglicized, dumbly (especially since, where pronunciation of Medieval Latin is concerned, it's probably off), as, ...drum-roll, please... "+VGO.DVCKS."
    Sadly, I don't have a picture of the reverse, although I've got both sides of an example that's no better than this, from the scarcer mint of Auxonne. (This one is from Dijon --thank you, in France, they do mustard, along with wine and cheese. All highly recommended!)
    Anyway, Seriously, Thanks for asking. How many other people have been scratching their heads?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Lol, sadly, I too never called you onto the mat. Years ago, I lived in Oregon (that’s’ “OryGun”, folks, have family that graduated from U of Oregon... I kept seeing your name, and instantly thought Oregon.

Dopey ‘ole me...

Sulla80 and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  13. +VGO.DVCKS

...Um, to come clean, I began my academic life in Oregon. One of the memorable things about the experience was how many Deadheads there were, as of the end of the '70's. On the peripheries, but very visible. I also met the late, lamented Tom Cederlind, Numismatiste Extraordinaire, who was based in Portland. I was selling off some of my first, juvenile collection (running to later Roman), and he was impressed, as of then, by how comprehensiveness it was, for an assemblage of mostly bottom- and second-shelf material.

Sulla80 likes this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

When we select our Arados staters we have to decide what we will give up since very few have all of the design. I picked this one with most of the ship and legend but lost every drop of the ocean. Rounder coins have some of everything but tend to lose something I wanted. It is good there are so many of these so we each can find a fit.
    g71970bb0412.jpg

15. +VGO.DVCKS

Thank you. As in, for the observation, never mind your reply.
    To wallow in the obvious, you run into that everywhere with ancient and medieval. Salian denars from Germany and the Low Countries (11th -early 12th c.) are one more random example. It's a shame, since the designs are as ambitious as anything being done in Europe. (...Well, except for any number of the more ambitious coinages of Henry I of England. And there, the line of influence is reasonably clear.) But the strikes are often absolutely atrocious. Literally as much as half the motif can be Gone, since the coiner was too hungover, or whatever, to strike it in the first place.
    (Sorry, but) in a related context, that kind of haphazard approach continues with other and later issues from the Low Countries. I wonder if it had any influence on the similar "workmanship" of Norman deniers of the same period.

Draft saved Draft deleted