Phoenicia, Arados Stater

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collecting Nut, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Here's my Phoenicia, Arados Gerashtart (Gerostratos). Circa 339/8-after 332 BC. A real nice Stater, 22 x 15 mm, 10.4 g., 10 h.
    Dated RY 5 (336/5 BC).
    Obverse: Head of Ba'al-Arwad right, wearing laurel wreath.
    Reverse: Galley right, (Pataikos on prow), above waves; [M] A G and date (all in Phoenician) above. It's thick.
    IMG_4789.JPG IMG_4790.JPG IMG_4791.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Awesome! I like these pre-Alexander Phoenician coins, the designs are interesting and they're satisfyingly thick (and not overly concerned with being perfectly round). They definitely hark back to the idea of a coin as a convenient lump of valuable metal with a recognized stamp on it to guarantee weight and purity. Here's my example, picked up a couple of years ago:
    Arados stater.jpg

4. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

5. Collecting Nut

It's a great coint to have in my ancient collection.

6. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

For some years I have tried to get one of these coins and I was lucky enough to do so last year. They are very difficult to get even remotely nice. Most other years it would have made my top ten but last year was just that kind of year. Arados Ar stater 380-350 BC Obv Head of Ba'al Arwad bearded in archaic style right. Rv Galley right above stylized waves HGC 28 10.92 grms 20 mm more or less. Photo by W. Hansen arados4.jpg This is another one of those coins that I try to find an example where both sides need to be more or less decent. That makes the coin very tough to purchase.
    Planchet archives at: https://edmontoncoinclub.com/the-planchet/the-planchet-archived/

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Mine only has one decent side, and even then it's not perfect.

Phoenicia Arados - AR Shekel Galley 2250.jpg
    PHOENICIA, Arados
    AR Shekel. 10.48g, 23.8mm (max). Circa 420-400 BC. E&E-A Group III.1.1, C13; HGC 10, 29. O: Laureate head of Ba’al-Arwad right. R: Galley right, Pataikos on prow, above waves; M A (in Aramaic) above.

8. Collecting Nut

That ship and the waves are great on your coin.

zumbly likes this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

PHAT! @Collecting Nut !

[​IMG]
    PHOENICIA TYRE
    AE20 7g
    76 BCE
    Turret hd Tyche palm branch -
    Galley prow volute aphlaston at stern Phoenican letters
    BMC 26
    Ex: @Bing

[​IMG]
    Tyre, Phoenicia
    1/16 shekel
    10mm 0.47g
    hippocamp l over waves -
    owl with crook flail
    Sear Greek 5916.BMC Tyre 43 5th-4th BCE
    Ex: @Valentinian

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I really liked the balance on mine a lot but it came at the price of the waves. Round coins tend to lose the chin or ends of the ship. Legends are important. It is hard to get one coin with everything even half decent.
    g71970bb0412.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted