Phoenicia, Arados, Augustus.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Spaniard, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Here's my first coin purchase of 2021, seems to be a bit of a rarity!
    Phoenicia, Arados, Augustus AE, 20mm/8.8grams.
    Obverse..Bust of Astarte-Europa right, wearing stephane and veil falling from chignon, in front smaller head of Augustus right.
    Reverse.. Humped bull galloping left, head facing, Phoenician letters beth (B), taw (TH), zayin (Z) & aleph (´) above, Aradian era date 258 (ΣNH) below.
    RPC I 4483.
    arados.jpg
    I was initially drawn to the coins obverse portraying the head of Astarte-Europa and it being more prominent than the reduced portrait size of the then Roman Emperor Augustus. This type coin was also minted for Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius, Nero, Domitian and Trajan which seems to be the most readily available but still difficult to find!
    The RPC example, https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/4483, has the legend above the bull obliterated but did find this link showing the breakdown of the reverse legend, https://phoeniciancoins.wordpress.com/2020/03/27/ar-no-aehb-258-σnh-2-aap/.....

Any extra info/links would be much appreciated.

Please post your coins of this type, Augustus Bronzes or anything else you feel is related!

Attached Files:

eparch, cmezner, Alegandron and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Cool dual portrait and a very nice coin there.

Spaniard likes this.
  4. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@ancient coin hunter... Thanks....The more I try to find out about this coin the rarer it seems to be....Not mentioned on wildwinds...Only one example in RPC....There are a couple over on Forum but one of those is the legend link above.Can't seem to find another on acsearch either?
    Can anyone find this type??

Curtisimo likes this.
  5. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Fascinating coin, both obverse and reverse. I've never seen it before.

Spaniard likes this.
  6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

kool koin man...from the place too...i bought today a Phillip lll cob...:)

Spaniard likes this.
  7. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great type, with sharp looks. Congrats.

Spaniard likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted