Phish Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nicholas Molinari, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Any Phish heads at Fenway tonight?

Post your coins coins featuring phish:

D1B70194-C18C-4BAB-849E-2A1612B1D988.jpeg

A hekte from Mysia.
    987A55FC-5C1C-4AC8-8CC2-FE8EEA3B6D95.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Looks like fun, Nick!

A coin phish that appears in your book:

[​IMG]
    SICILY, Selinos
    Circa 410 BCE
    AR litra, 11mm, 0.76 g, 1h
    Obv: nymph seated left on rock, right hand raised above her head, extending her left hand to touch coiled serpent before her; selinon leaf above
    Rev: man-faced bull standing right; ΣEΛINONTIOΣ above; in exergue, fish right
    Ref: Potamikon, p. 116 figure 152 (this coin); HGC 2, 1229; SNG ANS 711–2 var. (ethnic); SNG Ashmolean 1904–5; SNG Lloyd 1270 var. (same); Basel –; Dewing –; Rizzo pl. XXXIII, 6. Good VF, dark iridescent tone, some porosity. Rare.
    ex MoneyMuseum, Zurich;
    ex Leu 79 (31 October 2000), lot 404;
    ex Athos Moretti collection, #482, unpublished manuscript

[​IMG]

ARKADIA, Psophis
    450-30 BCE

AR obol, 10 mm, 0.69 gm
    Obv: forepart of Kerynitian hind right
    Rev: fish right, O above, archaic psi below, all within circle incuse
    Ref: BCD Peloponnesos 1680 (same dies). Rare.
    ex Frank James Collection
    ex CNG
    ex BCD Collection

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I would have said fish left with the psi above and the o below. It also makes the fish curve more natural to my eye.

5. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

That’s the nicest of the type I’ve seen.

Every year I say I’m too old for this and every year it is true, yet I still go.

Another phish from Mysia, Miletopolis.
    A466E01C-9134-4C12-B9AC-95BB134FBF7A.jpeg
    Miletopolis, Mysia, Civic coinage, 4th century BC. AE11. Obv: Laureate head of Apollo right; below, tunny right. Rev: MYLH clockwise, Bull standing left. SNG France 1301 corr (Tunny not described

6. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I don't get the reference (I take it nothing to do with hockey? :shy::D), but here you go!

Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 10.48.48 PM.jpg
    Thurium , in Lucania (443-400 BC), diobol

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hmm. I think you and I had a private discussion about this four or five years ago. I did put considerable thought into the rotation back then and thought I was correct based on fish anatomy, even though the engraver didn't show all of the fins a fish would normally have or else they were worn. I found some fish with similar shaped heads as the orientation I used.

Archives were of limited use because most of these coins are very worn or otherwise indistinct and the engravers weren't as concerned as we are about anatomic correctness :D. Some have the fish swimming right with o above, some have fish left with o above. Others (the majority) have the psi above. Some have the o and psi in the same field. CNG and other auction houses have sometime oriented the o above and sometimes below.

Looking through archives again I see a double die match to mine and the cataloger decided the fish was swimming left. The coin is slightly higher grade and what I thought was a contour of the fish's head might instead be pectoral fins, which would make you correct :).

https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=141749

[​IMG]
    PsophisFishOrientation.jpg

8. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

9. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

It looks like a catfish with the face "whiskers" hanging down, facing left.

TIF likes this.
  10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Pantikapaion 1.jpg
    THRACE, PANTIKAPAION
    AE21
    OBVERSE: Head of Pan left
    REVERSE: Roaring lion's head left; fish below
    Struck at Pantikapaion 400-300BC
    5.3g, 21mm
    SNG BMC Black Sea 883

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

CHINA PHISH MONEY

[​IMG]
    China Zhou Dynasty 1046-256 BCE AE Fish Money 67mm 9.5g AB Coole Enc Chinese Coins 6920ff
    EX: @Ken Dorney as recommended by @ancientcoinguru

12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Aaand... This. Guy...
    upload_2019-7-6_10-56-4.jpeg
    One of my favorite coins... also featured in his book...
    [​IMG]
    Campania
    AE
    Apollo-Achelous
    275-250BCE
    SNG ANS 474
    @Nicholas Molinari 15-June-2016 "Your ... coin is a plate coin in Potamikon, number 343 in our catalog so Sambon 663; Taliercio IIIa.16; MSP I, 343, featuring Acheloios Sebethos as a man-faced bull. Taliercio cited three examples of this type, so yours is the fourth known of that particular variety."
    :)

13. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

39ABC536-6B57-455B-942D-7FB00A21154E.jpeg What a coincidence! Only yesterday I made some pics on an exhibition of Fish in Art. There was this Escher woodcut.

14. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

2A2583D6-19C6-492C-8E25-33F064AC4D28.jpeg 90D0C45C-D4A9-41DB-959B-D7B56CB3A7FC.jpeg

This is a late 16th cent. Flemish (?) painting of a merchant selling fish. The money in his palm is very much detailed, but I couldn’t recognize the coin types.

Draft saved Draft deleted